Playoff / Championship Predictions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff / Championship Predictions...

Just out of curiosity, though it is still early, in your opinion as of this date,

1) who will make the Playoffs?
    2) who will win the Conference?
    3) who will win the Championship?

- - - - - - - - - - -

Playoffs (in the East only, I don't know enough about the West):
    1) Cleveland
    2) Boston
    3) Orlando
    4) Miami
    5) Atlanta
    6) Toronto
    7) Charlotte
    8) Chicago

Conference Champions:
    Cleveland Cavaliers facing Boston Celtics, Cleveland wins in 6

NBA Champions:
    LA Lakers vs. Cleveland Cavaliers, and L.A. wins in 7.

Brief explanation of my picks:

I have thought that Cleveland would be the team to beat in the East from the beginning, even after the Raps beat them in the home opener. LeBron has too much drive to try and take his team to the next level so that the league will be forced to admit that he has what it takes to bring a team that would be nowhere without him to the top.

I think that Kobe's finger will cause problems all season long, and will limit his effectiveness in the playoffs. The Lakers are a deep team and will make it all the way to finals, though. It will be close between the LeBrons and the Lakers because Kobe will not be 100%. I think that the combo of Gasol Bynum and Odom, however, will be able to keep LeBron somewhat honest, if all are healthy. Shaq will be too slow to keep up with Odom/Gasol/Bynum if ALL THREE are healthy.

Atlanta will fall from grace over the course of the season but will do well enough to secure the fifth spot. An injury here or there to JJ or Josh Smith could be catastrophic to a team that relies on their athleticism so much. This is, perhaps, the one thing that will differ from most other people's picks, because the top 4 are already anointed in most people's minds.

If the Raps continue to play well, they could sneak up on the 4th spot, with Atlanta slowing down. However, I also think that Wade will continue to keep his team in it, and provide that capacity to beat good teams single-handedly, thus moving them up a spot, instead of the Raps. I think Charlotte is missing too much depth, and playmaking ability. It is too easy to clog the paint against them, as they have trouble spreading the floor. They will miss the playoffs, I think, although it was between them and the Bulls in my mind.

Curious for your picks, and also what you think of my stated reasons for those picks.
    Last edited by verbatim; Thu Jan 7, 2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

They're excellent picks.

Title

I think there's very little separation between the top three teams so any of them could win the Conference but I'd have the Celtics as slight favourites at this point. I think the Celtics are the only team capable of beating the Lakers but LA would still be the favourites heading into that series too.

Eastern Playoff Teams

I'm not convinced that the Raptors can sustain their winning ways yet so I'm not ready to put them into the playoff picture just yet. Their competition does seem to be decreasing though -- Milwaukee because of Redd's abysmal play. Washington depending on the Arenas situation ... and Detroit + Philadelphia are struggling to put all their pieces together too (as were/are Washington also) ... so the Raptors chances of making the playoffs look much improved from a few weeks ago. Not fully on board yet though.

Four locks -- Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Atlanta
      Very likely -- Miami
      Fair chance -- Charlotte, Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Philadelphia and Milwaukee. Maybe Washington depending on Arenas -- Toronto + Charlotte look the most likely to step up to the next tier out of this group.
      Last edited by Dave; Sat Jan 9, 2010, 09:04 AM.
      nbaroundtable

Comment

I don't think the heat are that good a team. I think the Raptors will finish 5th overall in the east. My overall guess is:

1. Cleveland
        2. Orlando
        3. Boston
        4. Atlanta
        5. Toronto
        6. Miami
        7. Charlotte
        8. Milwaukee

I think this year the Lakers win it again, beating Cleveland in the final.

Comment

mmm given that we're not half way through the season there's still a lot of factors including health of players that play into this.

my prediction right now would have to be:

Playoff Teams

East: Cleveland, Boston, Orlando, Hawks, Raptors, Heat, Charlotte, and wild card Knicks haha.

West: L.A., Dallas, Phoenix, Denver, Spurs, and the three spots could really be between (5 to 6 teams)

Boston (East) vs Lakers (West) Finals.

If both teams are healthy at full, i take Boston in six.

*again very early in the season, so this is best I can some up with at work and need to back into looking busy! ;D

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
            I'm not convinced that the Raptors can sustain their winning ways yet so I'm not ready to put them into the playoff picture just yet. Their competition does seem to be decreasing though -- Milwaukee because of Redd's abysmal play. Washington depending on the Arenas situation ... and Detroit + Philadelphia are struggling to put all their pieces together too (as were/are Washington also) ... so the Raptors chances of making the playoffs look much improved from a few weeks ago. Not fully on board yet though.

Four locks -- Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Miami
            Very likely -- Miami
            Fair chance -- Charlotte, Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Philadelphia and Milwaukee. Maybe Washington depending on Arenas -- Toronto + Charlotte look the most likely to step up to the next tier out of this group.
            Where's ATL?!

As of today, I have the east looking like this come playoff time:

1. Boston (If they stay healthy)
            2. Cleveland
            3. Orlando
            4. Atlanta
            5. Toronto
            6. Miami
            7. New York
            8. Charlotte

East conference champs: Boston (again, only if they stay healthy)

Finals: Lakers over Boston

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
              Dave wrote: View Post
              They're excellent picks.
              Four locks -- Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, Miami
              Very likely -- Miami
              Where's ATL?!
              Haha, oops, left out Atlanta. Had Miami in there twice. Atlanta should be in the top tier.
              nbaroundtable

Comment

Working...
              X