PG or SF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What if they traded for a veteran such as Okur or another C on a shorter term contract to give him time to fill out and develop? He is listed at 240lbs right now and 6'11". From everything I"ve read his development the last 2 years has been nothing short of phenomenal. Regardless of his lack of strength and size he is still getting 5.4rebs in 14.9mins and shooting 70% from the field and 91% from the free throw line. Given the basic fundamentals on D and O that he has shown he could be special in a day and age with few true C's in the league.

Patience for the team as a whole will be required no matter who they draft, in my opinion. For those who use the OKC template of how to build a winner, think of Rashard Lewis leaving in 2007 equal to Bosh and Allen leaving in 2008 equal to Bargnani (possibily). It is not a perfect example but there are few such things. We know that after Allen left they won 20 games (with Durant and Green) and only managed 23 the next season (with Westbrook).

Got on a ramble there, sorry.

Tim - Okur for a year, what say ye?
    Okur's not a bad defender or rebounder, but I certainly wouldn't classify him as a good one. I'd don't know whether he's really the best guy to mentor a young player. Just out of interest, why'd you choose Okur?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Okur's not a bad defender or rebounder, but I certainly wouldn't classify him as a good one. I'd don't know whether he's really the best guy to mentor a young player. Just out of interest, why'd you choose Okur?
      Looking around the league at where Bargnani would fit, Utah was one of the places I came up with (that is in the trade forum if you are interested). Granted it was under Jerry Sloan but they managed to be very successful with a PF who had a post up game and a C who could shoot in Boozer and Okur. One could argue that Jefferson is more of a PF and an inside out tandem of Jefferson and Bargnani could work. In thinking of a reasonable trade between UTA and TOR, Okur/NJ 1st round pick for Bargnani seems plausible. On Utah's end they get a 20ppg scorer to make room for Jefferson, one of the best post up players in the league plus they currently have 2 good to very good defenders in the backcourt with Bell and Harris. For Toronto, they get a veteran who can fill in for a year while a Kanter or Valancianus develops. Plus the draft pick will likely be top 6 so they can get another young piece so maybe a YoungOnez promotion next year might actually have credibility. Okur also would provide, if he can stay healthy, a reasonable trade off in offensive output versus defensive contributions compared to Bargnani.

Comment

If Irving's available when we draft, for sure we should take him. If he's gone, I think we need to go after a SF: Barnes or D.Williams would be my choice. I like the other PGs like Kemba but I'm not sure if any of them will be highly successful in the NBA.

Comment

The only projected Top 5-6 player I can't see fitting in with the Raps at all is Derrick Williams. There's no way he'll be able to play SF in the NBA, and Amir/Ed have the 4 spot locked down. (I also think he'll be this year's bust.) Every other position can fit one way or another into our future, except SG, but there really aren't any top-tier talents there anyway.

My draft board:
          1. Kyrie Irving
          2a. Kemba Walker
          2b. Harrison Barnes
          3. Jonas Valanciunas
          4. Enes Kanter

If those three were gone and Derrick was available, I would trade down for someone like Knight/T. Jones/Vesely. That being said, I'd be pretty dang annoyed if one of those top 5 weren't a Raptor by June.

Also, I have zero interest in Perry Jones, whatever position he plays...
          Last edited by jrdyck; Mon Mar 28, 2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

If they both come out - Derrick Willliams has to be 1st choice- skills and heart
            Harrison Barnes as 2nd choice- scorer withut forcing it+ heart
            Brandon Knight if possible with 2nd 1st round pick- If we have to trade up PLEASE trade up. This guy has it over Walker and Irving- he is a PG 1st

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              Kemba's not a PG. He just plays one on TV.

lol

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                If we are picking in the top 4-5 I think it is to high for Kemba, I would rather Irving and Barnes, and Even Knight is showing a good two way game and has nice size for the PG spot. I also need to look at a couple of Euros are getting high praise, as well as Williams from Arizona.
                As much as I dislike using tournament performance when considering who I hope we draft, Kemba Walker leaves it all on the court...he happens to be winning a ton of big games which doesn't hurt, but I love that he plays with no fear, confidence, and has intensity galore at both ends of the court and on the way to the huddle. Irving, Knight, Barnes, Jones, good players in a down year not really getting things done in the same way as Walker. I'd be glad if they took a chance on this guy, because I'm pretty sure He Believes he'll have an impact in any game he plays. UConn in the Final Four, Big East Champs, it's a force of Kemba's will. In short, we know he's a man, and it's a man's league, the rest are prospects, maybe better one day, maybe.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Looking around the league at where Bargnani would fit, Utah was one of the places I came up with (that is in the trade forum if you are interested). Granted it was under Jerry Sloan but they managed to be very successful with a PF who had a post up game and a C who could shoot in Boozer and Okur. One could argue that Jefferson is more of a PF and an inside out tandem of Jefferson and Bargnani could work. In thinking of a reasonable trade between UTA and TOR, Okur/NJ 1st round pick for Bargnani seems plausible. On Utah's end they get a 20ppg scorer to make room for Jefferson, one of the best post up players in the league plus they currently have 2 good to very good defenders in the backcourt with Bell and Harris. For Toronto, they get a veteran who can fill in for a year while a Kanter or Valancianus develops. Plus the draft pick will likely be top 6 so they can get another young piece so maybe a YoungOnez promotion next year might actually have credibility. Okur also would provide, if he can stay healthy, a reasonable trade off in offensive output versus defensive contributions compared to Bargnani.
                  Okay, so I'm Utah, and you want a first round pick while we trade each other the same guy. Why, because he's younger? Bargnani's been nicked up all year and his age will come too, just like any seven footer playing way too much competitive basketball. To be honest, I can't see how we get full value for this guy, the fact is, he's much too valuable to us for it to happen like that. I'm not saying Okur is amazing return, but if we get a draft pick of any value that's all we're really getting.

Comment

jamesk wrote: View Post
                    Okay, so I'm Utah, and you want a first round pick while we trade each other the same guy. Why, because he's younger? Bargnani's been nicked up all year and his age will come too, just like any seven footer playing way too much competitive basketball. To be honest, I can't see how we get full value for this guy, the fact is, he's much too valuable to us for it to happen like that. I'm not saying Okur is amazing return, but if we get a draft pick of any value that's all we're really getting.
                    I agree. Noway they will include NJ's pick in this trade, unless we give them more, like Amir as well.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Take the best guy on the board. I don't care what position he plays. I hope it's SF or PG but if it's not I don't care. Always take the best player.
                      I'd rather they trade down then take a guy they don't need.

---------------------

BTW If the reports of Walker being 5ft 10 are true there is no way we should take him in the top 10 or top 15. He's not a pure PG buy any stretch of the imagination and he's going to have a tough time consistently scoring in the NBA. Too much risk too little reward IMO

I like what I saw from Valanciunas but I'd still rather the raptors move down and get knight and someone else.
                      Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Tue Mar 29, 2011, 12:18 AM.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                        I'd rather they trade down then take a guy they don't need.
                        You can always make a trade after the draft. Best bet is to take the best player available unless somebody is offer a great deal. I don't think people are going to be offer great deals in a draft advertised as more of a gamble than most years.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                          I'd rather they trade down then take a guy they don't need.---------------------

Oh my...I agree with you on something. Absolutely agree. (maybe I should go lie down ha!)

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            You can always make a trade after the draft. Best bet is to take the best player available unless somebody is offer a great deal. I don't think people are going to be offer great deals in a draft advertised as more of a gamble than most years.
                            Unless it is to save money in fear of the new CBA.

This year's trade deadline was crazy and I expect nothing less at the draft. (fingers crossed)

Comment

The Hornets got a decent draft day deal when they sent Aldrich to OKC. I'd look for the Raptors to maybe try something similar.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                                The Hornets got a decent draft day deal when they sent Aldrich to OKC. I'd look for the Raptors to maybe try something similar.
                                The Hornets basically gave away a lottery pick for a salary dump, missing out on the chance to draft Ed Davis. You mean Oklahoma got a decent draft day deal?
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X