Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5 Steps To Fixing The Raptors

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5 Steps To Fixing The Raptors

This is front page on HoopsWorld.com right now.

I won't post the article in it's entirety, just the points. Click the source link at the bottom to read the write up.

1. New Ownership
    2. Extend President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo
    3. Make a Coaching Decision
    4. Lower the Player Turnover Rate
    5. The Bargnani Decision
    The Fix

The Toronto Raptors need to get their ownership situation resolved as quickly as possible. Failure to get Colangelo's name on a new contract gives teams like New York the opportunity to poach the Raptors President while they dither. Without a GM in place for next season, important decisions about coaching, the draft, and which players to build around or trade become unnecessarily ponderous and inaction can become as devastating as actually making a mistake.

More than anything after five seasons of change the Raptors need some stability. Keeping their young core together and extending Colangelo would be a good place to start. A rebuilding program requires patience.
    Source: HoopsWorld.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

These are the best parts

"Keeping the 25-year-old Bargnani is the safe decision unless Colangelo receives an exceptional offer."

"More than anything after five seasons of change the Raptors need some stability. Keeping their young core together and extending Colangelo would be a good place to start. A rebuilding program requires patience."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    These are the best parts

"Keeping the 25-year-old Bargnani is the safe decision unless Colangelo receives an exceptional offer."
    I agree 100%. After the beating that AB got from the Toronto Media and fans, his stock is at all time Low. Keep him, get a coach who has a good defensive background and a PG and SG that can actually defend because neither Jose or DD can do that.

As far as extending offer to BC, my answer is Hell NOOO, What has he done to deserve another long term commitment from Raptors ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    I agree 100%. After the beating that AB got from the Toronto Media and fans, his stock is at all time Low. Keep him, get a coach who has a good defensive background and a PG and SG that can actually defend because neither Jose or DD can do that.

As far as extending offer to BC, my answer is Hell NOOO, What has he done to deserve another long term commitment from Raptors ?
    He is in YEAR 1 of a rebuild...I repeat YEAR 1.

First step in a rebuild, get a HIGH draft pick and clear cap space, I think he has DONE BOTH VERY WELL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

He is in YEAR 1 of a rebuild...I repeat YEAR 1.

First step in a rebuild, get a HIGH draft pick and clear cap space, I think he has DONE BOTH VERY WELL
    This is not how the real world works my friend. He is in the first year of rebuild, because he F**ed UP in the last 4 years.
    This is like I crap on my project at work all year, then want to start from scratch and tell me boss, look, I am doing my great job now designing the system so give me a bonus.

He failed to make anything significant happen in Toronto for over 4 years. WHY should I TRUST him with Rebuild ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    This is not how the real world works my friend. He is in the first year of rebuild, because he F**ed UP in the last 4 years.
    This is like I crap on my project at work all year, then want to start from scratch and tell me boss, look, I am doing my great job now designing the system so give me a bonus.

He failed to make anything significant happen in Toronto for over 4 years. WHY should I TRUST him with Rebuild ?
    The consensus when BC arrived was he needed to BUILD AROUND BOSH, which he tried DESPERATELY to do.

MLSE, media, you name it, CB was the darling.

The only mistake I think BC made was NOT trading Bosh, I personally dont like Bosh, and never did, but I am in the minority.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The consensus when BC arrived was he needed to BUILD AROUND BOSH, which he tried DESPERATELY to do.

MLSE, media, you name it, CB was the darling.

The only mistake I think BC made was NOT trading Bosh, I personally dont like Bosh, and never did, but I am in the minority.
    This.

You guys should also keep in mind this is BCs team. New GM = New mind set and he will want to bring his type of player. That would pretty much destroy the rebuild and we'll have th same situation that BC was in when he first came here. Try to build with other people pieces (we all saw how that turned out...) or try to get rid of everyone and rebuild from scratch again which will take a long ass time. You can pretty much forget the Raptors for the next 5 year (at the least) if that happens.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    This.

You guys should also keep in mind this is BCs team. New GM = New mind set and he will want to bring his type of player. That would pretty much destroy the rebuild and we'll have th same situation that BC was in when he first came here. Try to build with other people pieces (we all saw how that turned out...) or try to get rid of everyone and rebuild from scratch again which will take a long ass time. You can pretty much forget the Raptors for the next 5 year (at the least) if that happens.
    Disagree.

Ed Davis will be great. DD will possibly be great. James Johnson is good. If we can resign Reg, keep Barbo, draft high.

Raps have a good future ahead of us, even Chuck Barkley said so, and his drunk ass is never wrong

Post Thanks / Like

No, only when he's getting caught hitting on under aged girls or being busted for DUIs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    No, only when he's getting caught hitting on under aged girls or being busted for DUIs.
    LOL, he's a great role model.

I must say I love how he hates on the big 3.

So, for the record, C Webb and Mchale also think we have a bright future and they love Ed and DD

Post Thanks / Like

McHale, I respect his opinion a little more no matter his struggles as an executive. He has a good sense of humor too by the way.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

McHale, I respect his opinion a little more no matter his struggles as an executive. He has a good sense of humor too by the way.
    Mchale is a quality analyst and was a great talent. Shite exec.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this the other day when I heard DD and davis were who we were going to build around. Why are we building around players and not concepts like playing some defense.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know they're not planning on building around the concept of defense with those two guys at the center?

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

would have been nice to hear it, you what i mean

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC has worked with the Raps in reverse.

He took over a multi-year lottery team that (outside Bosh) reaped no one of significant value, immediately made them a playoff team for 2 seasons, struggled year 3 and no playoffs, lost on last day of playoffs in year 4 after 'star' of team quit, and year 5 is back to rebuild.

Compare to OKC:

Presti took over and they got much worse considering drafting of Durant and Green (via trade) with 20 wins, a little better in year 2 with 23 wins, year 3 was an 8th seed and hard fought 1st round series loss, and year 4 is in progress. OKC hit the lottery jackpot each year with positioning and have done a great job drafting with the #2, #5, #4, #3 picks in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

This is the first high draft pick TOR has had since 2006.

For all those who say BC should go and build around DD, ED, and JJ - who the hell brought them all here?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    BC has worked with the Raps in reverse.

He took over a multi-year lottery team that (outside Bosh) reaped no one of significant value, immediately made them a playoff team for 2 seasons, struggled year 3 and no playoffs, lost on last day of playoffs in year 4 after 'star' of team quit, and year 5 is back to rebuild.

Compare to OKC:

Presti took over and they got much worse considering drafting of Durant and Green (via trade) with 20 wins, a little better in year 2 with 23 wins, year 3 was an 8th seed and hard fought 1st round series loss, and year 4 is in progress. OKC hit the lottery jackpot each year with positioning and have done a great job drafting with the #2, #5, #4, #3 picks in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

This is the first high draft pick TOR has had since 2006.

For all those who say BC should go and build around DD, ED, and JJ - who the hell brought them all here?
    I agree fully

Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    would have been nice to hear it, you what i mean
    Most of the guys he's been bringing in lately have been good on the boards and at least solid defenders.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the guys he's been bringing in lately have been good on the boards and at least solid defenders.
    His stereotype is going to take a long time to change but it is certainly a little 'out-dated' in my opinion. Consider the last number of moves he has made since 2009 (minus Turkeyglue) - they have all returned one or any combination of athleticism, rebounding, and/or defense:

Kapono for Evans
    Drafted DeMar
    Delfino/Ukic for Amir/Sonny
    Signed Jarrett Jack
    Drafted Davis
    Signed Kleiza (I firmly believe he could have been a 15/7 guy with defensive abilities at the 3 if healthy all year)
    Bellinelli for Wright
    *EDIT* Turk for Barbosa
    JJ/Andersen for Bayless
    TPE for Ajinca
    TPE/MIA 1st for James Johnson
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Mar 30th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    His stereotype is going to take a long time to change but it is certainly a little 'out-dated' in my opinion. Consider the last number of moves he has made since 2009 (minus Turkeyglue) - they have all returned one or any combination of athleticism, rebounding, and/or defense:

Kapono for Evans
    Drafted DeMar
    Delfino/Ukic for Amir/Sonny
    Signed Jarrett Jack
    Drafted Davis
    Signed Kleiza (I firmly believe he could have been a 15/7 guy with defensive abilities at the 3 if healthy all year)
    Bellinelli for Wright
    JJ/Andersen for Bayless
    TPE for Ajinca
    TPE/MIA 1st for James Johnson
    Add to this deal Hedo and Jermaine Oneal's deal as well and then look at the pattern of sign this summer, trade the next . Now, put this to the side and ask yourself, what was the end result of all these moves:

20 Win team after 5 years !!!

What was one of the main problems of Raptors before BC comes ? Defense , Defense, Defense ....

What is the result after 5 years ? The WORST defensive team in NBA !!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information