NBA Today - April 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Today - April 4th

27 minutes in Ryan Russillo talks about the Raptors on the NBA Today podcast on ESPN.

espn nba - toronto break down

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=3634017

realist talk I heard from a reporter on the raptors in a long time.

4/4/11

Comment

did you listen to the whole thing?

Comment

I can't listen at work!
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
          did you listen to the whole thing?
          Ya i didn't agree with his fixes but felt he was striaght up with alot of things I respect that whether I agree or disagree

Comment

Someone post a transcript or give us the gist
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

trading bargnani would be the best thing for us to do. But not for nash and goratat. I want a shot blocking Center or a 3 point shooting SF.

Comment

Bargs for Nash and Gortat would be great for the team in the short term, not so much the long term.

I am a big fan of Gortat though, he could easily be our best center in years. If this trade included their 1st round pick id do it in a second, though.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I thought it was well done. Interesting to see what someone with zero affiliation with the team thinks.Nash and Gortat for Bargs? Where do I sign? I don't care if it would make us a mediocre team. We aren't getting MJ or Scottie Pippen in this draft so why not make it fun for a year or two. Loved how he took Triano to task for the way the team just doesn't play D and I also agreed with his opinion about the kind of coach to target: Lawrence Frank. For a few years he'd at least get this squad to commit to D, something Triano has had zero success doing. And before everyone jumps on me for that just look at Franks resume compared to JT's.

I think he missed the mark on Sonny and didn't say much about JJ. I also think he killed the cap situation a little harshly although he did admit that BC has been able to move contracts no one thought could be moved. I also think he underestimated the fan base when he spoke of declining attendance.
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I would do this trade, just because I would love to see Nash play in a Raps uniform. It would be rapturous. Even Evil Lord Xenu would spare the lives of a few earth stricken thetans to see this happen.
                    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                      I would do this trade, just because I would love to see Nash play in a Raps uniform. It would be rapturous. Even Evil Lord Xenu would spare the lives of a few earth stricken thetans to see this happen.
                      Scientology is for dumb, rich people. What kind of religion requires money to find out more knowledge of the religion.
                      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                        Scientology is for dumb, rich people. What kind of religion requires money to find out more knowledge of the religion.
                        Then I'm glad I didn't mention Free Masons
                        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Very short summary (he never really says how he would 'fix' the team at all):

Raps have no capspace. Sees no real hope short-term - bad team for the next 2-3 years. Keep BC, better than his record recently but wouldn't be surprised if BC wasn't back. Says BC has done okay.

Worst roster in the league, except maybe Cleveland, no real studs. Only Derozan and Davis are core players. Derozan will never be #1 option, Davis can be solid but won't anchor a frontline. Bargs/Amir/Davis frontline won't work. Won't be able to get a defensive big in free agency - maybe throw $30mm at Oden.

Talks about letting Triano go cause of the lack of urgency on defense and bad defensive habits of the team. Sends bad message to young players watching Bargs go out there continually and not play defense. Wants a coach who knock some heads, suggests Lawrence Frank cause he would take any job.

He talks about trading Bargs and what you could realistically get for him and suggests that Bargs + #4 pick for Nash and Gortat as the only deal that really changes anything. Says it's probably a bad trade for Raps but would be a good business deal. Goes through probably 15 other deals and notes they aren't doable or won't solve any problems.

Says Barbosa will pick up option. Doesn't know who would take Calderon's salary.

Went on a bit of a jag about Toronto announcers talking about all the assets Toronto has and says they really don't have any. Says it's misleading to fans cause it's a lie.

Comment

can someone merge the 2 threads on this subject?

on topic, I think RR actually hates the raps announcers more than I do! it made me laugh when he was slamming them and their propensity to overstate the situation.

I don't think he said Davis couldn't anchor the frontline, he was saying that about Amir and he brought up the fact that Amir still fouls at a higher rate than anyone other than Cousins and for that fact you couldn't count on him to anchor your front line. He did say he liked AJ and pointed out how young he still is but a frontline of Amir and Special Ed ain't gettin 'er done.

One thing tat I hate, but can't disagree with, is he pointed out that Toronto likely won't be a major FA destination whether we have cap space or not as players don't really want to come here. It's something the organization will have to work very hard to remedy, and really, who wants to come to a year in year out mediocre team? The raptors are, and always have been a mediocre organization. A couple of good years out of 16 doesn't cut it.
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I feel we got to stay the course by getting 1 or 2 solid impact players this year and 1 or 2 players next year and have a young and up and coming team.

another thing we need to get is make sure we get players that are ready to play and not reach on prospects. I feel you reach on guys when you have a solid team we are not their yet.
                              Last edited by grindhouse; Mon Apr 4, 2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X