Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The MMA Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    you're correct.

never said he wasn't the champ. I won't argue that.

by the unified rules of MMA as dictated by the NSAC.. GSP won. He's the champ. Or at least, he went out the champ (because, technically, he isn't the champ anymore).

by the rules of ass kickery... as dictated by two dudes wailing on each other and seeing who walks away looking more like a savage... Hendricks won.

it's unfortunately been a very long time since winning the fight and winning the contest were the same thing.
    Yeah, I agree with you there. On pure savagery and ass-kicking Henricks won. But, then again GSP bruises so god damn easily that he'd have a few more losses to his record than he actually did.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

same day weigh ins lead to a whole new set of problems though...

unfortunately, there is a solution.... but nobody would be willing to jump through all the hoops to get it fixed.. plus, the complications that would arise for the UFC...

the solution really is the same as the drug problem... random testing for all fighting during fight camps.... and include a maximum training weight while in camp.. to ensure there's a percentage threshold for cut weight.

but there's a couple hitches there...

1. The UFC's tagline of "we're regulated by the government"... and they're right... getting the government to change anything at all, ever.. not even just in MMA... just getting to them to change minor wording in their rules would require months and months of committee meetings

2. How do you punish the fighters for failing? a fine? well, if you're main eventing a PPV, a fine would barely scratch your wallet... cancel a fight? ya, that would go over well... cancelling a main event... or even a main card fight... the ufc show in Calgary was possibly the worst MMA show I've watched ever, thanks to cancelled fights... and not worst UFC show... worst MMA show... Worse that BoDog, Ring of Fire, BAMMA... I don't think I've ever seen anything that bad before... hell, UFC 151 was outright cancelled because Jonny Jones refused to fight Sonnen on late notice

it's all loopholes and horseshit... there are clear ways to improve the sport... but horseshit muddies the clear road..
    Let a few guys rise to the top and then lose everything by not making weight.

Problem solved pretty fast. trust me. but youre right, it would mean the UFC taking a hit, but it would be better for the sport...

Hell could freeze over too. Its not a sport, its fighting, run by gangsters.

anyhow, no matter.... I watch it so my hands arent so clean hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

of course not... but, you can alter the rules to simulate a fight as much as possible..

I'm hate to bring up this argument... I've done it ad nauseum in real life... and its a no-win situation... but I really did prefer Pride rules... where a fight was judged as a whole, and not round by round...

Pride had a lot of flaws... barbaric non-rules like soccer kicking... basically being run by gangsters... fight fixing.. etc.. but their judging was the best MMA ever had
    I liked Pride rules.

GSP was made for Pride. He would have finished 3/4 of his fights with knees to the head on the ground.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    I liked Pride rules.

GSP was made for Pride. He would have finished 3/4 of his fights with knees to the head on the ground.
    Shogun was a monster over there... If it wasn't for my personal opinions of soccer kicks being a dirty tactic... I'd easily rank him highly on my all-time favourites...

I will say, he did master the art of using live human heads as soccer balls..

5. Like Superjudge, FoxMachine liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar FoxMachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Shogun was a monster over there... If it wasn't for my personal opinions of soccer kicks being a dirty tactic... I'd easily rank him highly on my all-time favourites...

I will say, he did master the art of using live human heads as soccer balls..
    made me laugh

7. Like Superjudge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hahahaha.

I wish GSP would have been a pride guy. I rememeber hearing Diaz say he'd kill GSP in Pride rules.... I laughed hard, again, visions of 100 GSP knee's to the head. ground control is castrated in the UFC.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched Spider get K the Fuck O'd by Weidman on replay... I really hope he doesn't fuck around tomorrow night. That was a disgrace.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Rookie xRevise's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just finished watching the Weidman/Silva fight.
    Anderson just broke his own leg on a checked kick.. probably the most digusting sports injury I've seen in awhile.
    Viewer discretion/parental guidance advised on this video guys. It's nasty.

Such a tragic way to lose a fight. I hope this doesn't mean the end for the Spider.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote xRevise wrote: View Post
    Just finished watching the Weidman/Silva fight.
    Anderson just broke his own leg on a checked kick.. probably the most digusting sports injury I've seen in awhile.
    Viewer discretion advised on this video guys.

Ya saw that ... Very sad... Very gross ... Another Legend goes down.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

12. Like xRevise liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie xRevise's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's terrible for sure. Another changing of the guard in MMA
    On the bright side people are already starting to make memes about it lol

Post Thanks / Like

Weidman, he was killing him already, new champ time.

silva is what he is, a legend. He'll be fine. I'd rather he bust a leg than get a massive concussion.

Post Thanks / Like

On the bright side, Brock Lesnar might be coming back, and apparently they're letting women fight now ... wonderful.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Silva's surgery was apparently successful... he was out of the hospital on crutches the next morning.. and he was immediately asking the doctor when he could train again..

I know next to nothing about medical things... but apparently... as long as the break isn't too close to the joint, and the skin isn't broken... healing is no problem...

Post Thanks / Like

Silva's surgery was apparently successful... he was out of the hospital on crutches the next morning.. and he was immediately asking the doctor when he could train again..

I know next to nothing about medical things... but apparently... as long as the break isn't too close to the joint, and the skin isn't broken... healing is no problem...
    The human body is a remarkable thing isn't it?

Kevin Ware had basically the same injury in the NCAA tournament and people had written him off, and he was back this year ready to play.

The thing about Silva though, is he's not got a metal rod in his tibula ... how is that fair in MMA?! Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    On the bright side, Brock Lesnar might be coming back, and apparently they're letting women fight now ... wonderful.
    I don't think Lesnar is coming back. I wouldn't, i f I was him. Seems like a good gut punch would kill him..

And Weidman is a legitimate fighter, but winning and then regaining the title on what is essentially two flukes..guy needs to get a legit win under his belt as champ.

Just want to note that Anderson Silva is 39 this April.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Just want to note that Anderson Silva is 39 this April.
    Ya, you know he was close to calling it a day.

He seems like the type that will be able to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Ya, you know he was close to calling it a day.

He seems like the type that will be able to do it.
    I could see him being the guy that would fight until he's 45. But, this leg injury might cut that short.

A friend of mine made the oddest remark about the Weidman-Silva fight saying that "Silva broke his leg on purpose because he didn't want to fight."

He doesn't watch sports very much..

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

good for GSP, those guys deserve a few shots taken at um.... and I dont think the mainstream will shed a tear for Dana or the ufc.

Its funny, since he left, i have had no desire to follow MMA anymore.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Gsp was the man, mad humble. Big loss for mma community. Anderson silva was an animal but to cocky and arrogant. Can't wait to see Vitor Belfort get a title shot against Weidman. Everyone's saying Weidman is the favorite cuz he beat Silva twice and while he did, i still think Vitor gon win. GOnna be a sick fight

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information