Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
    I'm hoping you're right
    Well, I said nothing definitive. So, i'm hoping that I'm right, too.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
      No, he's always been an idiot. Ever since I first watched fear factor. He's a good researcher and he can remember what the facts are. Which, you could say makes him knowledgeable about things. But, dude smokes too much pot and does roids..I've watched his "Joe Rogan questions everything" and he never seems to know what he's talking about versus the other people.

Btw, I re-watched the fight and where Rogan says/yells GSP is "badly hurt" in like the third, it looks like he just stepped down akwardly and hurt his foot or leg. It wasn't because of Hendricks...
      I have to humbly disagree. When I first listened to Joe's podcast I went in with the mindset "This guy is a fucking stoner meathead" (just to clarify, I am pro-marijuana ) The first episode I listened to was about steroids actually, the guest was Victor Conte (Founder of BALCO, a steroid empire in which he distributed these performance enhancing drugs to many professional athletes). I lumped him into that same category.. Like oh, this is crazy, these are the type of people he has on? But the guest was incredibly knowledgeable, and it was kinda fasincating. He talked about sensory deprivation tanks as well which I had no idea about. It the weirdest introduction ever, but he's a humble guy, his guests are usually smarter than him because that's their field of expertise, but to talk for 3 hours at a time he obviously has some knowledge. I've come to greatly respect him, he's not the same guy as on Fear Factor, and he openly discusses how the show (that is, Joe Rogan Questions Everything, to be fair, I also hated it) didn't turn out how he wanted it to turn out and how after so long you realize all the guests are crazy white dudes. It's so easy to dismiss him over projects like that, it takes a bigger person to actually hear what he has to say on subjects he has an understanding of, in a layed back environment in which he decides who he's talking to. Listen to one podcast, like the GSP one for example in which he does talk about aliens, but not that he's been abducted.. It's just something he's kinda concerned about, he has these memory lapses, I think everyone does, and when he lumps that into a category among other semi unexplainable events then it goes with his theory.

Just PS.. It's real time, you realize that right? Every fight. He's announced over a thousand fights and is incredibly knowledgeable about BJJ and fighting in general, and can remember what happened in specific fights that happened years ago, it's interesting. It's crazy to base an assumption on trivial things like that. Also he doesn't do roids, he openly admits to taking testosterone, but obviously that's completely different, try and find anything stating otherwise.

Anyhow, I came here to just say that I have tremendous respect for GSP and have watched him fight for years.. I hope we see him again, but the guy is a legend. If you've ever been to Montreal when he's fighting, you'll see how much he's beloved here, you have to make reservations to a bar a week in advance in hopes of getting a table to see the fight. I believe he tapped but GSP couldn't maintain the hold, and every other take down GSP had he couldn't do anything with. Hendricks is clearly powerful and out-powered GSP, whenever GSP had him against the cage Hendricks would reverse it and he capitalized more so than GSP.. Everyone went silent when the fight was over because they knew he lost, that's just the reality. I'm glad he won because he's my dude, but obviously it was questionable.
      Last edited by Ryan_1523; Sun Dec 15, 2013, 07:20 PM.

Comment

ok, craig. Wow, he didn't say he was done. He said he needed time off and so, he was relinquishing the title and dealing with his issues.

Doesn't mean he'll be back. But, he did not officially retire.
        I know. But I just think he's likely done. I mean I hope he is for good. But You're right, he may come back, its hard not to.

Thing is, as is, he is being shown serious respect from most everyone in MMA, not a bad way to go out.

Comment

• Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
          I'm glad he won because he's my dude, but obviously it was questionable.
          My thing with that fight, MMA has a weight cut problem. GSP shouldnt be fighting guys 30lbs heavier. its kinda BS.

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
            I know. But I just think he's likely done. I mean I hope he is for good. But You're right, he may come back, its hard not to.

Thing is, as is, he is being shown serious respect from most everyone in MMA, not a bad way to go out.
            it was the right time for him to go out.. he's been on the decline for years.. and I'm not saying that to shit on GSP... but he hasn't had a definitive win in like 3-4 years... I truly believe he's on the downslope of the climax of his career.

granted.. the downslope is MUCH better than most fighters not named Hendricks... but if he wanted to walk away on top, it's the perfect time for it.

The GSP i'll always remember is a killer... a straight up savage.. not the point fighter he's been for the past few years... the guy who beat the living tar out of Frank Trigg.. who made Sean Sherk gargle his own blood.. who literally OWNED BJ Penn..

not the dude who broke Kos's orbital bone with his first punch, but was totally cool with jabbing away for 5 rounds to get a decision.

Go back and watch the Matt Hughes trilogy... God damn do I miss that GSP

Comment

• You know he did that to Kos, and to Shields on purpose right. It wasn't a "nice" thing to do.
              No matter. All positive when talking about GSP from me. I have nothing bad to say, I'm not sure how anyone does.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                it was the right time for him to go out.. he's been on the decline for years.. and I'm not saying that to shit on GSP... but he hasn't had a definitive win in like 3-4 years... I truly believe he's on the downslope of the climax of his career.

granted.. the downslope is MUCH better than most fighters not named Hendricks... but if he wanted to walk away on top, it's the perfect time for it.

The GSP i'll always remember is a killer... a straight up savage.. not the point fighter he's been for the past few years... the guy who beat the living tar out of Frank Trigg.. who made Sean Sherk gargle his own blood.. who literally OWNED BJ Penn..

not the dude who broke Kos's orbital bone with his first punch, but was totally cool with jabbing away for 5 rounds to get a decision.

The only beat down I remember more vividly than all of those was Anderson Silva beating the living CRAP out of Rich Franklin.
                Franklin had to have his Face Rebuilt after that fight. He probably still has PTSD and Nightmares about that Clinch Anderson had him in.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  The only beat down I remember more vividly than all of those was Anderson Silva beating the living CRAP out of Rich Franklin.
                  Franklin had to have his Face Rebuilt after that fight. He probably still has PTSD and Nightmares about that Clinch Anderson had him in.
                  oh man... that was grisly as hell... the moment when they were announcing the winner, and Franklin looked up at the big screen and saw the damage to his nose.... that reaction was friggin PRICELESS

Comment

I cant' agree that he's been on the decline, per se. But, there's no doubt the serious injuries he's had over the years have played factors in the fighter he was early in his career to the fighter that he has been in in recent fights.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• I think its a serious misjudgment not to recognize how much he raised the bar in MMA, the UFC and in the WW div. He hasn't declined as much as the competition has gotten better, WAY better. Go back to his first 2-3 years, all those so called Legends that were at the top then BJ, Diaz, Sherk, Sera, Matt huges, Kos, sanchez, Parysian.... they are all gone, all of them, or they are getting tooled everytime they fight. GSP has however stayed on top. Its a testament to how fantastic he really is, and to what he had provided for a new generation of fighters. Just 5 years ago, a guy like Hendricks was just a brawler, condit, a fancy lad striker. because of GSP, they have evolved into something better. they all see how he trained, and the in turn raised their own bars up higher, learned more, became more skilled and well rounded.

GSP has done so much for MMA. He is the man, and thats where I leave it. Making petty comments about how bad he is now...fuck that, he deserves a bit more respect than that from fans, he isn't your average champ, he has made all the fans favourite guys...better. and thats something we can all be thankful for whether we like him or not.

Comment

I think its a serious misjudgment not to recognize how much he raised the bar in MMA, the UFC and in the WW div. He hasn't declined as much as the competition has gotten better, WAY better. Go back to his first 2-3 years, all those so called Legends that were at the top then BJ, Diaz, Sherk, Sera, Matt huges, Kos, sanchez, Parysian.... they are all gone, all of them, or they are getting tooled everytime they fight. GSP has however stayed on top. Its a testament to how fantastic he really is, and to what he had provided for a new generation of fighters. Just 5 years ago, a guy like Hendricks was just a brawler, condit, a fancy lad striker. because of GSP, they have evolved into something better. they all see how he trained, and the in turn raised their own bars up higher, learned more, became more skilled and well rounded.

GSP has done so much for MMA. He is the man, and thats where I leave it. Making petty comments about how bad he is now...fuck that, he deserves a bit more respect than that from fans, he isn't your average champ, he has made all the fans favourite guys...better. and thats something we can all be thankful for whether we like him or not.
                        who made petty comments? or said he's bad now?

I said the most "anti-gsp" thing in this thread.. and even that was....

Did he change MMA? definitely. He's probably only had less impact on the sport than Brock Lesnar.. and that has nothing to do with skill... just media coverage

Is he still dominating guys (excluding Hendricks)? yup

but is he the same fighter he was 5 yrs ago? no effing way

I'm not saying this to disparage him.. he's truly one of the greats of the sport... he's a seminal figure in the MMA's emergence in mainstream culture... talent-wise, I'd only rank him below Anderson Silva and slightly above Fedor.. he's THAT GOOD

but he went from a DESTROYER... a savage who imposed merciless beatdowns on anybody who stepped into the cage with him... to a guy who was fine with just winning..

go back and watch the sean sherk fight... or either of his wins over matt hughes... then, watch ANY fight he's had since 2009

hell.. watch EVERY fight since 2009... add all of them together, and they aren't even half as exciting as any one of those fights

GSP is the man... and he still is the upper echelon of his division... but to say he hasn't declined is just blindsighted

Comment

• Heinz, you keep on saying excluding Hendricks and stuff. But, don't you think that considering the rumours that were flying around leading up to the fight that GSP would retire and now, the fact that he has semi-retired. He's clearly over-whelmed by whatever is going on in his personal life and has been since before that fight. Do you not think that played a factor in the fight?

It just seems like you're giving Hendricks way too much credit. He didn't even win the fight. Regardless, if that was a bit of a screw job by the judges. He didn't knock GSP out, nor did he submit him. Here's a guy that was knocking guys out left,right and centre. Which is what got him a shot at the belt and he lets it go to decision or maybe, GSP is just that tough. He gave GSP the greatest fight of his career, but it's still arguable whether he actually beat him. What happens if Lawler beats him? Does that make Hendricks a flash in the pan or does that mean that Lawler could hypothetically beat GSP?

Comment

who made petty comments? or said he's bad now?
                            Buddy, calm the fuck down, holy monkey, everything is cool!

I'm talking about the denizens of people on the web that talk badly about him. My post is on no way short sighted or is it aggressive in nature towards you. Its a celebration of the guy himself.

Honestly, calm the fuck down man, there is no argument here. And CLEARLY he is slowing down, all I said was that wasnt as big a factor as the fact that he is facing a much better prepared group of new athletes in MMA. And I'm right, so, shut it.

gosh.

If I was with you right now I'd buy us shots and give you a wet willy for being a ponce, THEN I'd tell you to shut up as you might be scaring the ladies away

Comment

Heinz, you keep on saying excluding Hendricks and stuff. But, don't you think that considering the rumours that were flying around leading up to the fight that GSP would retire and now, the fact that he has semi-retired. He's clearly over-whelmed by whatever is going on in his personal life and has been since before that fight. Do you not think that played a factor in the fight?

It just seems like you're giving Hendricks way too much credit. He didn't even win the fight. Regardless, if that was a bit of a screw job by the judges. He didn't knock GSP out, nor did he submit him. Here's a guy that was knocking guys out left,right and centre. Which is what got him a shot at the belt and he lets it go to decision or maybe, GSP is just that tough. He gave GSP the greatest fight of his career, but it's still arguable whether he actually beat him. What happens if Lawler beats him? Does that make Hendricks a flash in the pan or does that mean that Lawler could hypothetically beat GSP?
                              Hendricks is too big for him.

Thats a different discussion though. Weight cuts are a travesty in that sport.... I saw him talking this week, he said he was 200, 205 when he got in the ring.....wtf.

I'd love to see same day weigh ins.

Comment

Buddy, calm the fuck down, holy monkey, everything is cool!

I'm talking about the denizens of people on the web that talk badly about him. My post is on no way short sighted or is it aggressive in nature towards you. Its a celebration of the guy himself.

Honestly, calm the fuck down man, there is no argument here. And CLEARLY he is slowing down, all I said was that wasnt as big a factor as the fact that he is facing a much better prepared group of new athletes in MMA. And I'm right, so, shut it.

gosh.

If I was with you right now I'd buy us shots and give you a wet willy for being a ponce, THEN I'd tell you to shut up as you might be scaring the ladies away

lol. we're totally cool man! im nothing if not calm, at all times... just overly verbose and fond of foul language.. thus giving the impression that I'm not

I just got confused a tad by your comment... as im pretty much the only person who ever sides against GSP on anything in this thread... and I thought I was being quite complimentary

Comment

Working...
                                X