Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charlz wrote: View Post
    are you forgetting?

When MG was brought in he was touted as and known widely as "the guy" when it comes to Euro players. When Ed davis and derozen came to town for tryouts I saw alvin williams and BC and Triano English and several others who I do not know but I did not see MG - he was likely back in Europe scouting something over there.

This guy is not lazy or stupid. He is also not a jack of all trades. His focus has always been in Europe - you dont bring in a defensive stopper to stretch a zone with 3 point shooting.... think about it.
    Yo Charlz, was it ur voice I heard on those Mel Gibson recordings? "What! What!"

Comment

are you forgetting?

When MG was brought in he was touted as and known widely as "the guy" when it comes to Euro players. When Ed davis and derozen came to town for tryouts I saw alvin williams and BC and Triano English and several others who I do not know but I did not see MG - he was likely back in Europe scouting something over there.
      Support this with something please. Show me something that says Gherardini had nothing to do with either player being drafted. Your who case is built on speculation fueled by your prejudices surrounding basketball players and minds from Europe.

This guy is not lazy or stupid. He is also not a jack of all trades. His focus has always been in Europe - you dont bring in a defensive stopper to stretch a zone with 3 point shooting.... think about it.
      He was brought in because of his ability to spot great talent. His connections in Europe are valuable but the guys has a proven track record when it comes to finding basketball talent.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        He was brought in because of his ability to spot great talent. His connections in Europe are valuable but the guys has a proven track record when it comes to finding basketball talent.
        further to my point that he should be punted. MG spoke of Bargs mental and physical toughness and all these intangebles which we can say now are not true. big FAIL on MG - asta la vista!

problem is MG knew Bargs since he was 16 and fell in love with him lost his objectivity not good for a talent evaluator. His judgment has cost this franchise dearly.

2 of the biggest wins of the season were against in Dallas and Orlando @ home both were done with out Bargs or calderon with a brand of basketball you simply cant play if he is your starting center.

When people suck on the job they get fired thats how it should be - get over it.
        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

further to my point that he should be punted. MG spoke of Bargs mental and physical toughness and all these intangebles which we can say now are not true. big FAIL on MG - asta la vista!

problem is MG knew Bargs since he was 16 and fell in love with him lost his objectivity not good for a talent evaluator. His judgment has cost this franchise dearly.

2 of the biggest wins of the season were against in Dallas and Orlando @ home both were done with out Bargs or calderon with a brand of basketball you simply cant play if he is your starting center.

When people suck on the job they get fired thats how it should be - get over it.
          So he should be hired because of one mistake? And it was drafting a top 5 or 6 players in a draft without a true star or consensus #1 pick.

It seems to me that you just want to get rid of him because he's European and you are outwardly prejudice towards Europeans.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

A.) For all the flack Bargnani gets in the media I would say he has thick skin. It takes a lot of mental toughness to take such strong criticism. It also takes strong mental toughness to still be positive and upbeat about his team after such a horrible campaign where they've lacked so much talent.

B.) Physical toughness all comes down to his definition. If he was referring to being able to play through injuries and not miss many games then he would be correct in his interpretation of toughness seeing how Bargnani has played in 90% of all possible regular season games. That's pretty good. Especially when you consider Sam had him riding the pine at times in that rookie campaign.

It is well documented that Bryan Colangelo had been scouting Andrea Bargnani for two year prior to even coming to Toronto. It was also well documented during the days leading up to the draft that there was a high chance of Bargnani not escaping the top three even if Toronto passed and went with Aldridge. Also, was Gherardini was signed just days before the draft. Bargnani was at the top of mock drafts for months prior to the draft. It's not like Gherardini was in Colangelo's ear all season and it's not like he was the guy pulling the trigger on the selection to begin with. How do you know if he's lost objectivity? Where's your evidence? I know he had a lot to do with finding Jorge Garbajosa. That was a home run. Ditto for Anthony Parker. There was documentation behind those two so I can confidently say that without speculating based on my own personal opinion of him.

You need to pay attention to the following. Gherardini didn't draft Bargnani.

Comment

i'd be curious to know what the percentage of european busts compared to the percentage of black american busts is.

but i'm far too busy (ie/ lazy) to do that kind of leg work.

but i'd take a bet that the american bust percentage is much higher.

Comment

Don't know.

Comparing the volume of African American busts to international bust is like comparing Mr.Trumps bank account to Mr.T's. This is what I find hilarious about Charlz's stance. He's totally oblivious to all the American born players who turn out to be busts. It's a gigantic number of players. More people fail than succeed. It's how it works.

Comment

but Mr. T has all that gold. and Trump has an awful hairpiece. clearly Mr. T MUST be more well off. right!?

and that sums up this argument.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    i'd be curious to know what the percentage of european busts compared to the percentage of black american busts is.

but i'm far too busy (ie/ lazy) to do that kind of leg work.

but i'd take a bet that the American bust percentage is much higher.
                    Make no mistake about it this is not a black white thing (Walton and Bird are two of my all time favorites)

This is an NCAA proven vs. foreign. When I am down playing at the "Y" I own but if I play Early Boykins in a game of one on one he's likely gonna make me his b*... and even block my shots.

However you can get an inverted answer to your question: Rather than who are bust who came in to the NBA with foreign only credentials (like Bargs) and won an MVP? There is only one in the history of the NBA (Dirk)

2009-10 LeBron James Cleveland
                    2008-09 LeBron James Cleveland
                    2007-08 Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers
                    2006-07 Dirk Nowitzki Dallas
                    2005-06 Steve Nash Phoenix
                    2004-05 Steve Nash Phoenix
                    2003-04 Kevin Garnett Minnesota
                    2002-03 Tim Duncan San Antonio
                    2001-02 Tim Duncan San Antonio
                    2000-01 Allen Iverson Philadelphia
                    1999-00 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers
                    1998-99 Karl Malone Utah
                    1997-98 Michael Jordan Chicago
                    1996-97 Karl Malone Utah
                    1995-96 Michael Jordan Chicago
                    1994-95 David Robinson San Antonio
                    1993-94 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston
                    1992-93 Charles Barkley Phoenix
                    1991-92 Michael Jordan Chicago
                    1990-91 Michael Jordan Chicago
                    1989-90 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
                    1988-89 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
                    1987-88 Michael Jordan Chicago
                    1986-87 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
                    1985-86 Larry Bird Boston
                    1984-85 Larry Bird Boston
                    1983-84 Larry Bird Boston
                    1982-83 Moses Malone Philadelphia
                    1981-82 Moses Malone Houston
                    1980-81 Julius Erving Philadelphia
                    1979-80 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles
                    1978-79 Moses Malone Houston
                    1977-78 Bill Walton Portland
                    1976-77 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles
                    1975-76 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles

Finals MVP same only 1(Tony Parker)
                    2009 Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers
                    2008 Paul Pierce Boston Celtics
                    2007 Tony Parker San Antonio Spurs
                    2006 Dwyane Wade Miami Heat
                    2005 Tim Duncan San Antonio Spurs
                    2004 Chauncey Billups Detroit Pistons
                    2003 Tim Duncan San Antonio Spurs
                    2002 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers
                    2001 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers
                    2000 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers
                    1999 Tim Duncan San Antonio Spurs
                    1997 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
                    1996 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
                    1995 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston Rockets
                    1994 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston Rockets
                    1993 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
                    1992 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
                    1991 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
                    1990 Isiah Thomas Detroit Pistons
                    1989 Joe Dumars Detroit Pistons
                    1988 James Worthy Los Angeles Lakers
                    1987 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
                    1986 Larry Bird Boston Celtics
                    1985 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles Lakers
                    1984 Larry Bird Boston Celtics
                    1983 Moses Malone Philadelphia 76ers
                    1982 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
                    1981 Cedric Maxwell Boston Celtics

Look at all the top teams/ top stat getters/ year in and out hit ratio is way better with NCAA proven talent. Its a fact hate on if you want.

Comment

Dude, you realize Steve Nash is Canadian... Right?

Anyway this argument is flawed. So we should judge an entire continent based on MVP winners? Come on man.

Comment

Look at all the top teams/ top stat getters/ year in and out hit ratio is way better with NCAA proven talent. Its a fact hate on if you want.
                        it's easy to come up with facts.

it's a FACT that there are more lottery picks who were busts that have come from the US than any other country.

therefore, no team should pick americans in the first round.

see how easy that is?

Comment

It's a fact that more picks are busts than are successful so maybe we should take it a step further and just shut down the NBA.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            It's a fact that more picks are busts than are successful so maybe we should take it a step further and just shut down the NBA.
                            I think they are working on that already

Comment

There have only been foreign players in the NBA really since the late 80's, and then it was only a trickle until the the late 90's. The fact that 3 times since then has an NBA player been non-US is pretty good. You know, before Hakeem, there hadn't been an African born MVP and there was really no one from Africa that had done much. Since then, you've gotten quite a few players from Africa that have been major forces in the league.

Did you believe that black people weren't smart because none had become president? Well, now that's changed, hasn't it.

That's the funny thing when it comes to things like this.

And by the way, if you're not just talking about Europeans, but ANY international player, then you can add a whole lot more hard nosed players to that list. If you want a list, I can give it to you.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

play together = stay together go talk to your human resources type about that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X