Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Next Move: Jetison Maurizio Gherardini

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I met Maurizio one time. He was really nice, showed me around the ACC practice court. Very soft spoken, good guy. We are lucky to have someone of his calibre with our organization.

Post Thanks / Like

Really though. There have been rumors in the past that certain teams might be interested in him running their club in the future. I think the Nets were the most recent last summer. I think if he leaves it's either because Colangelo was cut loose or he get's an offer to run a team.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    I met Maurizio one time. He was really nice, showed me around the ACC practice court. Very soft spoken, good guy. We are lucky to have someone of his calibre with our organization.
    Sure he is a fantastic guy I agree - so is the guy who serves me coffee every morning @ starbucks. My point is:
    (a) quit the Euro movement
    (b) get and Assistant GM who's expertise resides on NCAA north American athletic defensive minded guys
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

my starbucks barista is a c-nt.

when i say i want a bloody medium coffee, i want the middle size of whatever bile you're serving that will wake me the f--k up. i dont care what ridiculous names you give cup sizes or what kind of roasts you have. stop trying to correct me, just give me god damn wake up elixir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    my starbucks barista is a c-nt.

when i say i want a bloody medium coffee, i want the middle size of whatever bile you're serving that will wake me the f--k up. i dont care what ridiculous names you give cup sizes or what kind of roasts you have. stop trying to correct me, just give me god damn wake up elixir.
    LMAO hahah - sure but you get my point. Rob Babcock was a sweet heart too but a Vince and Hoffa deal later had the angry mob calling for his ouster.
    Last edited by charlz; Wed Apr 13th, 2011 at 09:06 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    Sure he is a fantastic guy I agree - so is the guy who serves me coffee every morning @ starbucks. My point is:
    (a) quit the Euro movement
    (b) get and Assistant GM who's expertise resides on NCAA north American athletic defensive minded guys
    This is the first time reading this thread and found your whole argument pretty flawed, as well as a little distasteful. Gherardini is renowned for his basketball expertise and well respected in the basketball world. First of all, assuming that ANY European player moving to the Raptors, whether or not they had coming from Europe or not, was his responsibility is absolutely ludicrous. What the hell did Gherardini have to do with trading for Nesterovic or signing Turkoglu? And why on earth was Garbajosa a fail? He was injured? That's somehow Gherardini's fault?

And I'm not even going to get into the whole anti-European thing.

The problem is when you make ridiculous claims, it pretty much kills your entire argument, whether or not there was any validity to it or not.

Personally, I have no idea whether Gherardini has done a good job or not because I am not privy to the inner workings of Raptor management, and I'm guessing you aren't, either.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I find hilarious is that Charlz seems to think Gherardini is only able to evaluate Europeans. Are there some sort of magic glasses required to scout NCAA games and it's just that Gherardini has failed to find so far in the boxes of Crackerjacks he has opened?

Last time I checked, the last two first rounders selected by the Raptors were DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis. How are they working out? I guess Charlz will counter by saying Gherardini must have been off ordering a caramel macchiato at Starbucks when those two selections went down....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Word of the wise to Charlz, don't mess with mafiosos like Gheradini, unless you like waking up next to equine body parts. La Cosa Nostra.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I guess Charlz will counter by saying Gherardini must have been off ordering a caramel macchiato at Starbucks when those two selections went down....
    i wouldnt blame gheradini if that was the case... that shit is delicious

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I find hilarious is that Charlz seems to think Gherardini is only able to evaluate Europeans. Are there some sort of magic glasses required to scout NCAA games and it's just that Gherardini has failed to find so far in the boxes of Crackerjacks he has opened?

Last time I checked, the last two first rounders selected by the Raptors were DeMar DeRozan and Ed Davis. How are they working out? I guess Charlz will counter by saying Gherardini must have been off ordering a caramel macchiato at Starbucks when those two selections went down....
    are you forgetting?

When MG was brought in he was touted as and known widely as "the guy" when it comes to Euro players. When Ed davis and derozen came to town for tryouts I saw alvin williams and BC and Triano English and several others who I do not know but I did not see MG - he was likely back in Europe scouting something over there.

This guy is not lazy or stupid. He is also not a jack of all trades. His focus has always been in Europe - you dont bring in a defensive stopper to stretch a zone with 3 point shooting.... think about it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

are you forgetting?

When MG was brought in he was touted as and known widely as "the guy" when it comes to Euro players. When Ed davis and derozen came to town for tryouts I saw alvin williams and BC and Triano English and several others who I do not know but I did not see MG - he was likely back in Europe scouting something over there.

This guy is not lazy or stupid. He is also not a jack of all trades. His focus has always been in Europe - you dont bring in a defensive stopper to stretch a zone with 3 point shooting.... think about it.
    Yo Charlz, was it ur voice I heard on those Mel Gibson recordings? "What! What!"

Post Thanks / Like

are you forgetting?

Support this with something please. Show me something that says Gherardini had nothing to do with either player being drafted. Your who case is built on speculation fueled by your prejudices surrounding basketball players and minds from Europe.

He was brought in because of his ability to spot great talent. His connections in Europe are valuable but the guys has a proven track record when it comes to finding basketball talent.

Post Thanks / Like

He was brought in because of his ability to spot great talent. His connections in Europe are valuable but the guys has a proven track record when it comes to finding basketball talent.
    further to my point that he should be punted. MG spoke of Bargs mental and physical toughness and all these intangebles which we can say now are not true. big FAIL on MG - asta la vista!

problem is MG knew Bargs since he was 16 and fell in love with him lost his objectivity not good for a talent evaluator. His judgment has cost this franchise dearly.

2 of the biggest wins of the season were against in Dallas and Orlando @ home both were done with out Bargs or calderon with a brand of basketball you simply cant play if he is your starting center.

When people suck on the job they get fired thats how it should be - get over it.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

further to my point that he should be punted. MG spoke of Bargs mental and physical toughness and all these intangebles which we can say now are not true. big FAIL on MG - asta la vista!

problem is MG knew Bargs since he was 16 and fell in love with him lost his objectivity not good for a talent evaluator. His judgment has cost this franchise dearly.

2 of the biggest wins of the season were against in Dallas and Orlando @ home both were done with out Bargs or calderon with a brand of basketball you simply cant play if he is your starting center.

When people suck on the job they get fired thats how it should be - get over it.
    So he should be hired because of one mistake? And it was drafting a top 5 or 6 players in a draft without a true star or consensus #1 pick.

It seems to me that you just want to get rid of him because he's European and you are outwardly prejudice towards Europeans.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

A.) For all the flack Bargnani gets in the media I would say he has thick skin. It takes a lot of mental toughness to take such strong criticism. It also takes strong mental toughness to still be positive and upbeat about his team after such a horrible campaign where they've lacked so much talent.

B.) Physical toughness all comes down to his definition. If he was referring to being able to play through injuries and not miss many games then he would be correct in his interpretation of toughness seeing how Bargnani has played in 90% of all possible regular season games. That's pretty good. Especially when you consider Sam had him riding the pine at times in that rookie campaign.

It is well documented that Bryan Colangelo had been scouting Andrea Bargnani for two year prior to even coming to Toronto. It was also well documented during the days leading up to the draft that there was a high chance of Bargnani not escaping the top three even if Toronto passed and went with Aldridge. Also, was Gherardini was signed just days before the draft. Bargnani was at the top of mock drafts for months prior to the draft. It's not like Gherardini was in Colangelo's ear all season and it's not like he was the guy pulling the trigger on the selection to begin with. How do you know if he's lost objectivity? Where's your evidence? I know he had a lot to do with finding Jorge Garbajosa. That was a home run. Ditto for Anthony Parker. There was documentation behind those two so I can confidently say that without speculating based on my own personal opinion of him.

You need to pay attention to the following. Gherardini didn't draft Bargnani.

Post Thanks / Like

i'd be curious to know what the percentage of european busts compared to the percentage of black american busts is.

but i'm far too busy (ie/ lazy) to do that kind of leg work.

but i'd take a bet that the american bust percentage is much higher.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know.

Comparing the volume of African American busts to international bust is like comparing Mr.Trumps bank account to Mr.T's. This is what I find hilarious about Charlz's stance. He's totally oblivious to all the American born players who turn out to be busts. It's a gigantic number of players. More people fail than succeed. It's how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

but Mr. T has all that gold. and Trump has an awful hairpiece. clearly Mr. T MUST be more well off. right!?

and that sums up this argument.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i'd be curious to know what the percentage of european busts compared to the percentage of black american busts is.

but i'm far too busy (ie/ lazy) to do that kind of leg work.

but i'd take a bet that the American bust percentage is much higher.
    Make no mistake about it this is not a black white thing (Walton and Bird are two of my all time favorites)

This is an NCAA proven vs. foreign. When I am down playing at the "Y" I own but if I play Early Boykins in a game of one on one he's likely gonna make me his b*... and even block my shots.

However you can get an inverted answer to your question: Rather than who are bust who came in to the NBA with foreign only credentials (like Bargs) and won an MVP? There is only one in the history of the NBA (Dirk)

2009-10 LeBron James Cleveland
    2008-09 LeBron James Cleveland
    2007-08 Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers
    2006-07 Dirk Nowitzki Dallas
    2005-06 Steve Nash Phoenix
    2004-05 Steve Nash Phoenix
    2003-04 Kevin Garnett Minnesota
    2002-03 Tim Duncan San Antonio
    2001-02 Tim Duncan San Antonio
    2000-01 Allen Iverson Philadelphia
    1999-00 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers
    1998-99 Karl Malone Utah
    1997-98 Michael Jordan Chicago
    1996-97 Karl Malone Utah
    1995-96 Michael Jordan Chicago
    1994-95 David Robinson San Antonio
    1993-94 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston
    1992-93 Charles Barkley Phoenix
    1991-92 Michael Jordan Chicago
    1990-91 Michael Jordan Chicago
    1989-90 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
    1988-89 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
    1987-88 Michael Jordan Chicago
    1986-87 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
    1985-86 Larry Bird Boston
    1984-85 Larry Bird Boston
    1983-84 Larry Bird Boston
    1982-83 Moses Malone Philadelphia
    1981-82 Moses Malone Houston
    1980-81 Julius Erving Philadelphia
    1979-80 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles
    1978-79 Moses Malone Houston
    1977-78 Bill Walton Portland
    1976-77 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles
    1975-76 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles

Finals MVP same only 1(Tony Parker)
    2009 Kobe Bryant Los Angeles Lakers
    2008 Paul Pierce Boston Celtics
    2007 Tony Parker San Antonio Spurs
    2006 Dwyane Wade Miami Heat
    2005 Tim Duncan San Antonio Spurs
    2004 Chauncey Billups Detroit Pistons
    2003 Tim Duncan San Antonio Spurs
    2002 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers
    2001 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers
    2000 Shaquille O'Neal Los Angeles Lakers
    1999 Tim Duncan San Antonio Spurs
    1997 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
    1996 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
    1995 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston Rockets
    1994 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston Rockets
    1993 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
    1992 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
    1991 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls
    1990 Isiah Thomas Detroit Pistons
    1989 Joe Dumars Detroit Pistons
    1988 James Worthy Los Angeles Lakers
    1987 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
    1986 Larry Bird Boston Celtics
    1985 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Los Angeles Lakers
    1984 Larry Bird Boston Celtics
    1983 Moses Malone Philadelphia 76ers
    1982 Magic Johnson Los Angeles Lakers
    1981 Cedric Maxwell Boston Celtics

Look at all the top teams/ top stat getters/ year in and out hit ratio is way better with NCAA proven talent. Its a fact hate on if you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, you realize Steve Nash is Canadian... Right?

Anyway this argument is flawed. So we should judge an entire continent based on MVP winners? Come on man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information