Someone please stop the Calderon and Jack tandem madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone please stop the Calderon and Jack tandem madness

The Raptors were lucky to escape with a win against the 76er's but Triano decision to go in the last 5 minutes with Calderon and Jack together on the floor, nearly cost us the game. Both A.I and especially L. Williams just abused Calderon and lesser extend Jack.

What is Triano thinking?! did he have some brain injury where he can't see that this just doesn't work due to matchup problems and Jose weak ass defence?! someone in the Raptors organisation has to see this and say something!!!

In this instance, I just can't argue with Triano because it worked. I am not a fan of it, I think we can find better combinations late in games. But tonight, we stole this one away in the 4th, Bargs with a nice block, and some decent defence and decent offence (i.e. Bosh beasted there at the end).

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
      In this instance, I just can't argue with Triano because it worked. I am not a fan of it, I think we can find better combinations late in games. But tonight, we stole this one away in the 4th, Bargs with a nice block, and some decent defence and decent offence (i.e. Bosh beasted there at the end).
      It didn't really worked, the 76'ers just messed up more then then Raptors did. The Raptors couldn't stop the 76'ers guards in the last 5 minutes of the game and traded baskets tit for tat because the 76'ers couldn't handle our forwards.

Remember the Raptors were down by a point with 18 seconds remaining in the game, they were lucky to get out with a win.

Comment

I agree...someone needs to send the message to Triano and the coaching staff. I say we create a website or some kind of way for them to notice it

Comment

Yes Im not a huge fan of the combination, but there are times when it can be used, and tonite I was not opposed to it. Only because Philly has Iverson, a 6-1 shootinguard/point guard. I agree with the whole poor combination thing, but who can we trust to play those minutes of offense. Im atleast thankful that triano pulls turk and jose for defensive purposes late in games. With Jose missing the whole time since the team has been "gelling" I really hope he and Jack start clicking together because offensively I don't know who else we can trust with those minutes.

Comment

I tried to bring it to Doug Smith's attention during his livechat, but no dice.

It seriously makes no sense...lineups with Belli at SG with rest of starters (either Jack or Cald) are one of the best in the NBA in offense/defense ratings.

Seriously need to stop with this insanity.

If someone here can get in touch with somebody on the Raptors Coaching staff, have them go to basketballvalue.com and compare lineups...

Comment

I agree, it should be Belli in there with one of the PG's to close out the games. He may not be the best defender but he's always active and comes up with some timely turnovers.

Tonight, I was willing to give the Calderon/Jack combo at the end another chance because of the matchup with the smaller Iverson and Williams. Thankfully it didn't end too bad, but on the other hand Triano will likely use them still as a result.

Comment

i was never a fan of two PG closing out a game .. but if you notice he makes the defensive switches when necessary .
                ~ Court Surfing ~

Comment

I think the reason Calderon and Jack on being thrown on the court together could be due to politics rather than basketball philosophy. Jack, right now, is obviously giving the Raptors a better shot at winning but at the same time you can't really keep your $8.5M/yr PG, who you promised a starting role when you signed him, on the bench all night long.

Comment

I don't agree. In postgame interviews, Triano always defends it as giving "more ballhandling". I mean he runs it to close out games! If it were just politics, we'd run it in the first few quarters when things matter less..

Comment

That's a very good point, Ripp. Guess I was a little off on that theory.

Comment

This is what makes it so frustrating. Ego management I can understand, but a demonstrably crummy lineup...hard to comprehend

Comment

It is totally absurd that Triano consistently plays both Jarret Jack and Jose during the fourth quarter. It is obvious that this set is not working, as the Raptors offense stalls and becomes stagnant. I say enough is enough and the Raptors have to decide which point guard they will go with during the fourth quarter. I know it is a tough decision since, Jose is "turrible just turrible" when guarding lightning quick point guards in this league suck as Lou Williams, however, he does space the floor as he is a better shooter than Jack.

Comment

rapsfan11 wrote: View Post
                            It is totally absurd that Triano consistently plays both Jarret Jack and Jose during the fourth quarter. It is obvious that this set is not working, as the Raptors offense stalls and becomes stagnant. I say enough is enough and the Raptors have to decide which point guard they will go with during the fourth quarter. I know it is a tough decision since, Jose is "turrible just turrible" when guarding lightning quick point guards in this league suck as Lou Williams, however, he does space the floor as he is a better shooter than Jack.
                            exactly. Jack is no good at 2 guard so it's almost like playing with 4 people on the floor because he doesn't know what to do without the ball. Jose runs the offense so much better, he gives Bosh the ball in a place where he can actually do something with it instead of just giving it to him to give it to him.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                              The Raptors were lucky to escape with a win against the 76er's but Triano decision to go in the last 5 minutes with Calderon and Jack together on the floor, nearly cost us the game. Both A.I and especially L. Williams just abused Calderon and lesser extend Jack.

What is Triano thinking?! did he have some brain injury where he can't see that this just doesn't work due to matchup problems and Jose weak ass defence?! someone in the Raptors organisation has to see this and say something!!!
                              I really don't understand this at all, if the idea is to win there is absolutely no need to have JC in the last minutes of a close game on the floor at all. He is too much of a defensive liability, he takes away from Hedo's game and is too structured.

Is it because he is friends with CB that they are giving him these precious minutes? Doesn't \bosh want to win? I mean its not like we don't have options. Wright, DD , Weems all play better defence and JJ and Hedo are more than capable of running plays!
                              We did play hard in the thrid and forth but luck had to do with winning more than anything else. I sincerely doubt we will be on the lucky side every time.

I realize that JJ may make some mistakes every now and then but yesterday how many points did Lou score on Jose, come on. There is absolutely no explanation for it.

I really think Jose is redundant at this point, we can do with a 2nd tire PG off the waiver list and get someone who can help the team for Jose's contract.

It is insane why they keep playing Hedo, JJ and Jose in crunch time. If anyone willing to start a TradeJoseCalderon.com I'm all for it and will contribute as much as I can just send me a PM, for real.

Comment

Working...
                              X