This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multipaul wrote: View Post
    I watched the whole game, as I do each game. And the pre game, and the post game. It was an awesome game. Joey Dorsey was a beast, Demar looked great too. Bayless was amazing. I'm not hating on the team, but we lost, and we were missing our undeniable best player. I'm just saying if we had our best player, we would probably have won. You can't argue that one.
    You're absolutely right. I agree 100%! If Amir had played I think the Raptors would have won that game.

By the way, since you're ignoring my attempts to have a real discussion, I guess this is what we're left with.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Liston wrote: View Post
      It's not a tie breaker in this case - here's the rules:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery#Process
      "In the event that teams finish with the same record, each tied team receives the average of the total number of combinations for the positions that they occupy."
      So each team would get 137 combinations or a 13.7% chance at number one (the coin flip would be for only one extra combination, i.e. 138 total due to rounding).
      That's for the lottery. If neither team moves up, then it comes down to a coin toss for who gets third, if I'm not mistaken.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• I've been reading a lot of posts from Multipaul and I'm just making an observation here. I'm not addressing him specifically. Personally I don't mind the guy.

I can understand often you read some of his posts and find them irritating. That's understandable because we've all arrived, after 5 years of this character (Bargnani, not the poster), to the conclusion that he's not the answer this team needs. But something inside this guy (Multipaul) is holding onto a piece of (Bargnani) and doesn't want to let go. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What I don't get is why the need to try to convince him.

5 years ago, I was all for drafting Bargnani. I was the engineer driving the Bargnani or Bust train. After year 1, I was excited and I spread the Bargnani love around. After year 2, I toned myself down a bit but after Year 3, I was excited again. Throughout this time, I had people telling me I was stupid and that Bargnani wasn't the answer due to his awful defense, inability to rebound. They would say sure, he can score but he doesn't do anything you expect a C to do. Hell I wouldn't listen.. I'd say but he can shoot 3's damnit, and that's how I'd justify it. Well, then year 4 and year 5 came and went, and I watched this team suffer and it finally dawned on me. And I have to tell you, it wasn't from guys on forums who convinced me, it was the product on the floor, or lack thereof.

So the lesson is this: Let him arrive at the destination by himself. There's no point in exhausting yourself in trying to convince him otherwise. Just let him be, and if it's too irritating, scroll up to the top right, click on Settings, and add him to your Ignore list. Then install Boomerang on your gmail, and send yourself an email that will bounce to you in 2 months, a reminder to remove him from your Ignore list. If in 2 months he's still riding the Bargnani or Bust train, add him back to the ignore list and reset that timer for another 2 months, and so on.

And you might ask what's the point of that email. Well, the point is he's obviously a very passionate Raptors fan and who doesn't love that. Yes, it's taking him longer than others to arrive at the right conclusion, but that's okay. Eventually he'll figure it out and then you'll be missing out on some really quality fanboy posts.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
          That's for the lottery. If neither team moves up, then it comes down to a coin toss for who gets third, if I'm not mistaken.
          That's a distinction I'm sure the Raptors would gladly pass on to the Wiz if it does not impact the lottery in any way. :s

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
            I've been reading a lot of posts from Multipaul and I'm just making an observation here. I'm not addressing him specifically. Personally I don't mind the guy.

I can understand often you read some of his posts and find them irritating. That's understandable because we've all arrived, after 5 years of this character (Bargnani, not the poster), to the conclusion that he's not the answer this team needs. But something inside this guy (Multipaul) is holding onto a piece of (Bargnani) and doesn't want to let go. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. What I don't get is why the need to try to convince him.

5 years ago, I was all for drafting Bargnani. I was the engineer driving the Bargnani or Bust train. After year 1, I was excited and I spread the Bargnani love around. After year 2, I toned myself down a bit but after Year 3, I was excited again. Throughout this time, I had people telling me I was stupid and that Bargnani wasn't the answer due to his awful defense, inability to rebound. They would say sure, he can score but he doesn't do anything you expect a C to do. Hell I wouldn't listen.. I'd say but he can shoot 3's damnit, and that's how I'd justify it. Well, then year 4 and year 5 came and went, and I watched this team suffer and it finally dawned on me. And I have to tell you, it wasn't from guys on forums who convinced me, it was the product on the floor, or lack thereof.

So the lesson is this: Let him arrive at the destination by himself. There's no point in exhausting yourself in trying to convince him otherwise. Just let him be, and if it's too irritating, scroll up to the top right, click on Settings, and add him to your Ignore list. Then install Boomerang on your gmail, and send yourself an email that will bounce to you in 2 months, a reminder to remove him from your Ignore list. If in 2 months he's still riding the Bargnani or Bust train, add him back to the ignore list and reset that timer for another 2 months, and so on.

And you might ask what's the point of that email. Well, the point is he's obviously a very passionate Raptors fan and who doesn't love that. Yes, it's taking him longer than others to arrive at the right conclusion, but that's okay. Eventually he'll figure it out and then you'll be missing out on some really quality fanboy posts.
            well said, sir. couldn't agree more.

personally, i don't mind him.. he's entertaining... i don't usually agree with him, but i don't hate bargs either.. but i really dont begrudge people for having opinions i dont agree with. nothing good can come of it. it turns into a witch hunt.

besides, its a bloody message board... not a Player's Union CBA Meeting. some of us are actually educated.

no need to get into childish pissing matches all the time.

Comment

• agree with this guy especially on ed davis
              ya dun noe

Comment

• To Clarify

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                SO, to confirm, you agree that BARBOSA should get a higher grade than Bargs? BARBOSA????
                The grades are given for the current year and I believe that they are taking into account the players previous experience. We're not in a vacuum here, we were expecting certain things from Bargs.

It's easy to bash on Bargnani because he does so many things horrible. In a year where he had the chance to be a leader, the go to guy for this squad, he totally plateaued. He didn't work hard over the summer, he didn't add anything to his game. He has glaring holes that he must obviously be aware of, at least I hope. Why could he not work on these things?? Defense and rebounding can be taught to a degree that offense cannot. It's effort and perseverance.

As a raptors fan you should no longer defend Bargnani unless he is coming off of the bench for us. A player in his 5th year who looks identical to the previous 4 should not be given any credit.

I bet 50% of recently retired NBA players could have scored what he did given how often he got touches and how many minutes a game he played.

The guy deserves a D for disappointing.

Comment

• Stringer Bell wrote: View Post
                  The grades are given for the current year and I believe that they are taking into account the players previous experience. We're not in a vacuum here, we were expecting certain things from Bargs.

It's easy to bash on Bargnani because he does so many things horrible. In a year where he had the chance to be a leader, the go to guy for this squad, he totally plateaued. He didn't work hard over the summer, he didn't add anything to his game. He has glaring holes that he must obviously be aware of, at least I hope. Why could he not work on these things?? Defense and rebounding can be taught to a degree that offense cannot. It's effort and perseverance.

As a raptors fan you should no longer defend Bargnani unless he is coming off of the bench for us. A player in his 5th year who looks identical to the previous 4 should not be given any credit.

I bet 50% of recently retired NBA players could have scored what he did given how often he got touches and how many minutes a game he played.

The guy deserves a D for disappointing.
                  Welcome to RR Stringer!
                  You'll get used to Multipaul defending Bargnani. He's very good at it.

That being said, you'll find that MANY of us agree with your assessment of Andrea.
                  Last edited by Joey; Tue Apr 12, 2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    no need to get into childish pissing matches all the time.
                    Yes there is.

Want to fight about it?

Comment

• Multipaul wrote: View Post
                      True. But we would lose by about 12 points each game.
                      Two quick points I want to raise.

One: Instead of reading things on SI and automatically accepting them why don't you try to make up your own opinions. Instead of focusing on stats like ppg and rpg go to 82games.com and check out Bargnagni's in depth stats. His defense is so terrible he actually hurts the team when he is on the court. Yes he may score points but the other team ends up scoring morewhen he is playing. Basketball is not just about scoring points...the expression is defense wins championships.

Second: I am not sure if you have ever played the game but if you had you might realize that having a defesive center is much more important than having one that can score. When was the last time a team won a championship with a center that could not play defense and averaged 5 rbs a game? What makes you think we will be able to achieve it with Bargnagni.

Comment

• Regular Season Report Cards (from SI) - Andrea Bargnani is a poor defender... really?

"The Raptors will finish last in defensive efficiency for the second year in a row. And without Chris Bosh or Hedo Turkoglu, they are also scoring 5.2 fewer points per 100 possessions than a year ago and will suffer a net loss of at least 17 wins. The obvious scapegoat is
                        Andrea Bargnani, who is not only a poor defender but also a volume shooter with below-average accuracy both inside and outside the three-point arc. Pairing him with a reluctant shooter like point guard Jose Calderon is how Toronto also ranks only 21st in offensive efficiency. The Raptors did show signs of ruggedness in the frontcourt from steadily improving rookie Ed Davis, energetic but foul-prone power forward Amir Johnson and rebounding fiend Reggie Evans, who could move on as a free agent after the season. But management needs to change the defensive culture, especially given the presence of Bargnani (who has four years and $41.5 million left on his contract) and second-year swingman DeMar DeRozan, whose dramatic development on offense ensures that he will be among the team leaders in minutes again."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1JM24tymK

Comment

• um.. err... are we suppose to disagree here ? or are you being sarcastic.

Comment

• I was going to say something about someone mentioning that SI hires smart writers, but I wouldn't stoop to that.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• As much as I completely agree with everyone's assessment of Bargnani.. is there ANY WAY that he could work here? If we found a legitimate center and slid him to PF (yes I remember the Jermaine O'Neil project) could we do it? The reality is this.. American players legitimately don't want to be here the same way they want to be back home. I want to be excited about DD and Ed.. I really do. But I saw the face Ed made when we took him and I know there's a big chance that Demar will be lured away to brighter lights when his time comes. But Bargnani.. for some reason that big ol' Italian likes us. He's got a long contract and we'd be able to extend him if we chose to. He could play PF in a similar fashion to say, Rashard Lewis, and we'd find a center who actually plays center.
                              Here in the great white north we don't find a tonne of guys with staying power

Comment

• RaptorFan (proud?..) wrote: View Post
                                As much as I completely agree with everyone's assessment of Bargnani.. is there ANY WAY that he could work here? If we found a legitimate center and slid him to PF (yes I remember the Jermaine O'Neil project) could we do it? The reality is this.. American players legitimately don't want to be here the same way they want to be back home. I want to be excited about DD and Ed.. I really do. But I saw the face Ed made when we took him and I know there's a big chance that Demar will be lured away to brighter lights when his time comes. But Bargnani.. for some reason that big ol' Italian likes us. He's got a long contract and we'd be able to extend him if we chose to. He could play PF in a similar fashion to say, Rashard Lewis, and we'd find a center who actually plays center.
                                Here in the great white north we don't find a tonne of guys with staying power
                                finding a legit C is harder than it sounds, and the only reason bargs stays is because we are the only ones dumb enough to throw 50 mill on him.

Comment

Working...
                                X