View Poll Results: Should the players accept the current proposal by owners by Wednesday?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 77.42%
  • No - not a good deal, keep negotiating

3 9.68%
  • No - not a good deal, decertify

4 12.90%
Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lockout & the Raptors: Players approve CBA, Owners too! (1944)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phil: Some people are "pretty convinced there's not going to be a year next year"

"Who knows what the NBA is going to look like next year?" Jackson continued. "It's going to take on a whole different proportion. How long is it going to last? I think there are some people who are pretty convinced there's not going to be a year next year."
    Source: ESPN.com

David Stern then turned around and issued Phil Jackson a $75,000 fine for his trouble.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Employee, that's why there's D-league.

It's the team's choice to take risks. There's no one to blame but the team. That's not a young player issue, that's a team management issue. Drafting young guys does not slow the game down. If they're not ready to hit the floor they typically don't. If they're not ready for extended minutes they typically don't. Teams taking guys with on year of college are still take nearly the same amount of risk.

DeRozan was a huge risk based on potential. He stunk, was a total disappointment, for most of his one and only season of college. He got hot in the second half and impressed enough that Colangelo gave him a chance. It was an excellent choice but a risky choice.
    Ok, it's the team's choice, for sure. And I agree, there's always going to be risks, even out of college. But I think we saw more and more teams drafting high school players and taking bigger and bigger risks. When teams are allowed to take those risks then there's more of a chance of getting a bust.

If my memory serves correct, I think there was a D League but it was just beginning. I love the D League and think it's a great tool. Your argument is that is where the high school kids could be playing. My argument is that is another roster spot taken from a vet that knows the game.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the team's choice to take risks. There's no one to blame but the team. That's not a young player issue, that's a team management issue. Drafting young guys does not slow the game down. If they're not ready to hit the floor they typically don't. If they're not ready for extended minutes they typically don't. Teams taking guys with on year of college are still take nearly the same amount of risk.

DeRozan was a huge risk based on potential. He stunk, was a total disappointment, for most of his one and only season of college. He got hot in the second half and impressed enough that Colangelo gave him a chance. It was an excellent choice but a risky choice.
    If a player with a lot of potential, but will take time to develop, is available, teams HAVE to take a chance on him or else they might lose out on a great player. The best teams gamble, and you're asking them not to do that. What would be better is to not put them in the position where they have to choose. Raise the age limit and make drafting a little less of a gamble and have the rookies a little more polished. It's good for the team AND the fans.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Their view is that guys shouldn't be forced to do anything. Those old guys can do what most old guys do who don't want to give it up, move to China. Brandon Jennings should have never been forced to go overseas to be a pro when he wanted to be a pro.

If a guy is ready and willing he should be allowed to turn pro. Laws put in place which take