Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lockout & the Raptors: Players approve CBA, Owners too! (1944)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    With regards to 53%, what risk are players taking? What money, capital, or resources are they investing? There only 22 people in the NBA or associated with the NBA last year who did not make money and they were all owners.
    They are risking bodily injury, that could potentially put them in a stretcher and never have a career again.
    Not sure the owners can say the same. You can always make more money. You can't buy new ACLs. New Ankles. New backs. New shoulders. etc.

And once again, 22 in the red is what the owners say.
    Its very easy to make losses appear on the books, while still pulling in profit.
    And thats if thats even what the books actually say.
    No way the Union would 'decline' to look at the books. Thats ridiculous.

And as for the payrolls, that is my mistake.
    Didn't realize until afterwards they were the current payrolls.

Comment

• And the other thing is that the BRI% doesn't say how much the Players HAVE TO make.

Its the LIMIT to what they CAN make. These two should not be confused.

If the owners don't exceed the % split, then they don't have to come up with the difference.
      The players just get to keep their own money that is being withheld from them in escrow.

ADD Which is actually perfectly demonstrated here, by the great Larry Coon, in the Second Chart down. Example A.

So if the owners get smart and stop dishing out stupid contracts, then maybe they only have to give out 50% worth of revenue. Or 47%. Or whatever their hearts desire.
      Last edited by Joey; Thu Oct 13, 2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        They are risking bodily injury, that could potentially put them in a stretcher and never have a career again.
        Not sure the owners can say the same. You can always make more money. You can't buy new ACLs. New Ankles. New backs. New shoulders. etc.
        Give me a break. That's why there is insurance Joey.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          Which the team/owner pays for on the player contract.

Players can take out additional insurance to protect future earnings.

Comment

Lol, Give you a break Apollo? Ya, I'm done with this anyway. Unfortunately, this forum of debate will solve nothing.

But you must have been on the owners side in the NFL lockout though, eh?
            Whats another couple of games in the season. Not like their heads and bodies can't handle it.
            They're insured.
            Last edited by Joey; Fri Oct 14, 2011, 07:39 AM.

Comment

And once again, 22 in the red is what the owners say.
              Its very easy to make losses appear on the books, while still pulling in profit.
              And thats if thats even what the books actually say.
              No way the Union would 'decline' to look at the books. Thats ridiculous.

And as for the payrolls, that is my mistake.
              Didn't realize until afterwards they were the current payrolls
              I did the same thing the first time I looked at it. I was like "what the hell Denver with a 28 mil payroll" and BC let Ujiri go?

Comment

I hear you friend but keep this in mind though: The NBA PA only has enough money to pay the players for less than a month. These guys live lavish lifestyles. Cut the money pipeline off and you'll see them blinking 100 times per minute. I think the worst case scenario is half a season of work stoppage. Especially if the NBA convinces FIBA to close the doors to their guys.
                If the lower salary players will allow the higher salary players to speak for them, then they're toast. Mind you, the all-stars dont entirely rely on their paychecks, they have endorsements, appearances, etc. And its fairly obvious, the lower-salary players are the ones who are signing up in europe to play. Up until the lower-salary players dont speak up, then the season will not start.

Comment

Lol, Give you a break Apollo? Ya, I'm done with this anyway. Unfortunately, this forum of debate will solve nothing.
                  If we're going to debate this and you're going to use points that don't make sense what am I supposed to say? 3% extra out of billions because they could twist an ankle makes no sense and we told you why.

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  But you must have been on the owners side in the NFL lockout though, eh?
                  Whats another couple of games in the season. Not like their heads and bodies can't handle it.
                  They're insured.
                  Comparing the in game abuse of basketball to football is like comparing a pillow fight to UFC.

tbihis wrote: View Post
                  If the lower salary players will allow the higher salary players to speak for them, then they're toast. Mind you, the all-stars dont entirely rely on their paychecks, they have endorsements, appearances, etc. And its fairly obvious, the lower-salary players are the ones who are signing up in europe to play. Up until the lower-salary players dont speak up, then the season will not start.
                  The PA can compensate the players for one month. After that they're out of money. It will be really interesting come December to see what the players think about 50%... If its even still on the table. It probably won't be still on the table.

Comment

• they should just get scab workers to play. im sure there are hundreds of willing players who are willing to not jump on the union grenade just to get a pay cheque to play a game.

sure the quality of the game will go down... but seriously, f$%# millionaires who need labor unions for themselves. f$%# them right up their f$%#ing a$%&oles.

Comment

If we're going to debate this and you're going to use points that don't make sense what am I supposed to say? 3% extra out of billions because they could twist an ankle makes no sense and we told you why.
                      I'm using points that don't make any sense? Really Apollo? And yes, my point was all about a twisted ankle... Indeed.

I'm done with this. I'll let you guys solve the problem. Clearly I'm not making sense.

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Comparing the in game abuse of basketball to football is like comparing a pillow fight to UFC.
                      I love it when people don't actually answer questions, and instead think providing a stupid analogy is an answer.

I'd like to see you tell Iverson, or Bogut, or Garbajose, or TJ Ford or Chris Paul that a pillow fight almost cost them their career. Or when guys like Rondo dislocate their elbow, or Nash breaks his face and keeps playing.

For you to dismiss the fact that the players put their bodies on the line is ridiculous, and to me THAT doesn't make any sense.

Comment

The PA can compensate the players for one month. After that they're out of money. It will be really interesting come December to see what the players think about 50%... If its even still on the table. It probably won't be still on the table.
                        i really dont know the technicalities of the CBA, what each side wants, etc, but it saddens me to see that these players are earning millions, doing something that they really love and yet they want more compensation. i think you just see how the world is now. its just sad. I dont fault the owners for wanting more, theyre the ones who pays for all the salaries, from the players to the custodians. At least thats what i know. The players really only answer to their families, i guess they wont survive if they cant shop at gucci or eat at fancy restaurants.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                          they should just get scab workers to play. im sure there are hundreds of willing players who are willing to not jump on the union grenade just to get a pay cheque to play a game.

sure the quality of the game will go down... but seriously, f$%# millionaires who need labor unions for themselves. f$%# them right up their f$%#ing a$%&oles.
                          Sure they'll find players to play in a scab league, but you think they'll find fans to watch a team where their best player is Luke Harongody? I'd rather watch Euroleague. Or ACB.
                          Or hell, I'd just as soon spend my money on the CBL then support the owners creating a bigger NBDL.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                            they should just get scab workers to play. im sure there are hundreds of willing players who are willing to not jump on the union grenade just to get a pay cheque to play a game.

you seem upset heinz.

Comment

Sure they'll find players to play in a scab league, but you think they'll find fans to watch a team where their best player is Luke Harongody? I'd rather watch Euroleague. Or ACB.
                              Or hell, I'd just as soon spend my money on the CBL then support the owners creating a bigger NBDL.
                              HARANGODY!?!?

you clearly have more faith in my proposed scab league than i do.

I was thinking Denham Brown, Trajan Langdon (if he's still alive), Carl English, etc etc... the "not worth mentioning" footnotes of the NCAA

They could also scour the lesser known leagues... Go to the Philippines and hand pick players out of the PBA.. There are like 7 US players on the Talk 'N' Text Tropang Texters......

and yes, thats what their team is really called... but its actually better than their old team names... the Mobiline Phone Pals and the Pepsi-Cola Mega-Bottlers

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                                you seem upset heinz.
                                "rich people problems" will piss me off everytime... especially when it deprives me of my own entertainment

Comment

Working...
                                X