Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great DeRozan Clean-Up Day quotes (Takes swipe at Raptors Interior D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great DeRozan Clean-Up Day quotes (Takes swipe at Raptors Interior D)

On the season:

I was definitely pleased. The hard work I put in last summer definitely paid off and that's what I was striving for. I just have a chip on my shoulder, and I just want to prove a lot of stuff. Like being one of the top players in this league, and keep getting better.
    Why does he have a chip?

Not making the rookie team, I definitely wanted to make the rookie team. It just seemed that I was under the radar for a lot of stuff, I wanted to work hard and show a lot of people that I could play.

Next step:

A little bit of everything. Polish up a lot of the little things. Stretch my range out, work on my ball-handling, just continue to get better at all parts of my game. Get stronger, use the summer to get stronger, I know what I got to do. Especially if I'm going to be down there with the big guys rebounding, try to be more aggressive.
    On being the man:

I don't really look at it being "the guy". I look at it as being the best player I can be, and whereever it takes me from there I'm fine with it.
    How far away is this team?

[The draft and free agency] could play both ways. The draft pick and if we pick up a key veteran. I think all we're missing is that one little piece that can really get us over the edge. It can definitely take us a long way next year. My trust is in the organization, I believe we're going to do that.
    What is that piece?

It could be a veteran big down there that knows how to play in the paint, that can be a presence down there. That could definitely help us on the defensive end as well.
    Did defense hurt you the most this year?

Yeah, that was one of the major parts. If we had a big presence down there, it definitely would've helped us out a lot.
    Full Interview

Good words from DeMar and you know he'll be working his tail off all summer. Imagine if Vince had had that drive? And it's so much better than Bargnani talking about his need to work on his offence. Dude can fill it up, that's not the issue!
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Bargnani is as good as gone this summer. This an indirect jab at the big fella.

minks77 wrote: View Post
      Good words from DeMar and you know he'll be working his tail off all summer. Imagine if Vince had had that drive?
      He did in his first few years.

Comment

All you have to do is look at the percentage of shots and points the Raptors gave up at the rim this year to know what the problem is. Watch the games and you see far too many circumstances where it's Ed Davis or Amir Johnson trying to defend/box out two guys while a certain someone stands around watching. That has to change.

As for Demar, I think the jury is still out. The one thing I like about Demar is that he dramatically improved in the second half of his year at USC and then made another dramatic impovement this season. Given that he's still young there is certainly reason for optimism that he can make one or two more jumps. To my mind, two things rule for him this offseason: 3-balls and ball-handling. I don't worry about the defense because that won't improve until they get a coach/management team that values it, a more veteran team that demands accountability from each other, and an inside presence to anchor it (like KG, Pau (whoever thought we'd say that?), Duncan, Noah, Chandler, etc.).

Comment

Bargs and Jose will go to Europe this summer and not return, I see the future.
          NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Bargnani is as good as gone this summer. This an indirect jab at the big fella.
            i hope so. you know when a second year player is taking serious jabs at you its a sign that hes not happy with his bigs (mainly bargnani).
            I wonder if colangelo actually listens to his players feedback because he better if he wants to avoid having another carter or bosh fiasco. i know players arent GM's but theyre deffinately not stupid and even they can clearly see what this teams deficiencies and biggest needs are, which is getting rid of bargnani's and replacing it with some toughness. i want to see Demar and Eddy D around for a long time so i hope colangelo is listening if he doesnt want them bolting at the end of they're contracts

Comment

@blaze89

Amen brother

Comment

WOW, Demar could not even guard me on the perimeter and he is taking shots at the bigs! Take some responsibility and learn to lock guys up yourself and you wont need a big to bail you out. James Johnson came in and played better defense in all his games as a Raptor than Demar has in two years, this is not the time to throw guys under the bus, it was a slap in the face to Reggie, Andrea, Ed, and Amir....nice teammate right there.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Even if our bigs were Howard and Garnett, we'd still have gotten torched inside this season, thanks to the constant penetration being allowed by our PG, SG and SF. I agree 100% that Bargnani's help-D needs to improve, but DeRozan should look in the mirror and be man enough to shoulder as much blame as Bargnani and Calderon for this team's porous D.

Comment

A lot of the best perimeter defenders have shotblockers behind them. Since they got rid of handchecking it's gotten easier and easier to blow by someone and since there was no real presence there (Ed and Amir were decent, but c'mon) that's what a lot of dudes did.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

What DeMar said would have to be acknowledged by all of his teammates. I don't see it as a swipe at anyone in particular. They don't have a big presence down low and that is no shocking revelation to anyone. If Ed Davis says they don't have any guards that can knock down the three with any regularity it's just stating the obvious and isn't a knock on anyone specific.

Comment

I think its hilarious that most of you think just because he said "big presence down there" that bargnani is already good as gone. Isnt Davis considered as a presence down there too? Or Amir? Or Reggie? Or Dorsey?

I agree with the last 4 posts. Look in the mirror first and see what you yourself needs to improve on. I think it wouldve been better if he said, "we ALL need to improve on our D".

I think its more of a knack to the coaches, trainers and GMs rather than on the players. If two of your so-called "best" players cannot play D, then there should be something done to get them to play D. i dont think its the lack of effort, but rather than the lack of training and push for these guys to get better on D.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          He did in his first few years.
                          You're right, to a point. He improved his left, stretched his range and then gave up. JYD, Oak, Adub and a host of others have all spoken of "If Vince had just committed himself to improving he could of been great but he never wanted it." and "Vince would come into a practice, throw up a few shots and goof off the rest of the time, he rested on his talents and never really developed his skills to the level it takes to be great"
                          Last edited by minks77; Fri Apr 15, 2011, 12:16 PM.
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Carter attacked the rim fierce at first. It wasn't until Lenny showed up that he turned into a jump shooter. I'm not disputing his work ethic and you won't ever see me defend Vince Carter on how hard he worked. I'm no fan.

Comment

its good to have these players that speak the truth and are motivated to get better

Comment

Working...
                              X