Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerryd Bayless says the OKC and Portland models need to be followed

Thoughts on your development.

[The Raptors] gave me an opportunity to go out there play and for the most part it went well. Hopefully, it continues.
    Like the direction of the team?

Definitely, the record doesn't really show it right now but I think with all the young guys and everybody getting the opporutnity to play, it'll play dividends in the long run. I definitely like the direction the team is going and we all have to take another step forward now for next year. And I know we will.
    How to take that next step?

Everybody has to work. Everybody has to really redediciate themselves this summer to the gym. Jay and Bryan I'm sure are talking to people on what they think they need to work on. I think if everybody goes into the summer thinking they need to improve on something and take the next step individually in the game, everybody collectively will get better.

What area does this team need to address?

We need to address defense. Defensively we need to get better, that's been kind of our weak-point this whole year. Experience is definitely [an issue] and I know we're going to take the right steps because we're a good team, and because we have guys who want to get better.
    What do you need to get better at?

I need to continue to improve overall, that's one of the things me and Jay were talking about. Get into the gym and workout.
    How much is the defensive problems concepts not being understood and how much is it just commitment on part of the players?

I think the coaches did a great job of putting the concepts out there. It's not a commitment thing for players, it's a communications thing. We're a really young team so we're learning a lot of things, and over time and with the experiences we had this year, going into next year we'll definitely be better.
    Are you looking to play somewhere in the summer?

No, I'm not.
    Should the attitude around here be different considering this was a bad season?

It was a rough season. 22 wins is not a real positive season, but you can take the positives out it. Not too many young guys get an opportunity to play like that, I didn't play for my first year at all. The opporutnity we got with these young guys to continue to grow including myself will definitely pay dividends. You look at OKC or Portland before I was even there, they let their young guys grow and now you see where they are and the steps they took. I think it's definitely going to help us and we're going to be good.
    Interview Video:

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...AYLESS-1648543

Jbay's the f'n man.

Comment

Then we need to tank another year (not nearly as hard), or buy a ton of draft picks.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
        Then we need to tank another year (not nearly as hard), or buy a ton of draft picks.
        as the biggest fan of this team i don't mind another losing season...we need to do it right this time
        "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
          as the biggest fan of this team i don't mind another losing season...we need to do it right this time
          A huge +1. It will be painful in the short term (1-2 seasons) but if draft picks pan out it will be worth it long term (3+ seasons).

Keep in mind OKC drafted 2nd in 2007, 4th in 2008, 3rd in 2009. To compare this to the Raptors we are just now at the 2007 stage.

Comment

Oklahoma is the model to follow, not Portland. They are different. Yes, Portland did it the right way through the draft but what people either forget or don't realize is that the Blazers are owned by Paul Allen and the guy went out and purchased a bunch of draft picks which allowed Prichard to have the luxury to get a chance to bring in so many great prospect. The Raptors are not going to be purchasing draft picks. They rarely do that. Because of this Oklahoma is definitely the model they should follow.

Oklahoma has done it through hitting home runs in the draft, and just as importantly for their longevity, they've done it by trading for young guys and by signing FA prospects.

Comment

I agree with following Oklahoma's model.. however I think we need to lower our expectations substantially. Following the summer that the Thunder drafted Durant, they lost 62 and 59 games respectively, during the next two seasons. Along the way they picked up players like Westbrook, Green, Harden, Sefolosha. We just lost 60, and while DeRozan and Davis are good pieces, we don't have a Durant or Westbrook, and there isn't anyone of that caliber available in this year's weak draft. So when we talk about following that model, we have to realize that we're still 4 and 5 years away from winning 50 games and there are still dark days ahead.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

They're not 5 years away from winning 50. If they were to trade Bargnani for a good young wing or PG, then draft Kanter or Derrick Williams and make a few smart signings and/or another trade involving Barbosa for a good piece they're suddenly a club with a realistic shot at .500. I agree, no one should be expecting Oklahoma City depth any time soon but I don't think anyone is expecting that. The idea is building through the draft and through smart trades. If they make some good plays they can have a winning club in two more years. If they follow historical Raptors trends they will miss the playoffs next year and make it the following year.

Comment

The thing is, I'm not sure I want them to have a shot at .500 anytime soon. I'm fed up with cheering for an average team. I have the feeling that if we're good too soon, then we're never gonna be awesome. I'd rather suck again next year, and even the year after and then enjoy 10 consecutive 50+ seasons.

Just like when I go to my mom's, and i know that I'm gonna enjoy one of the best meal of the year, I try to starve myself the whole day to be sure to be as hungry and empty as possible when I hit dinner time... Being barely .500 next year, get kicked out 4-0 in 1st round and land a mid-teen draft pick would sound like eating peanuts just before dinner.

Comment

The Bulls failed for about eight years while dwelling in the lottery and had little to show for it until Rose came along and then it was a complete stroke of luck that they got him because their odds of winning the lotto were slim to none. I don't want that scenario to play out. Few teams ever have 10 consecutive seasons of 50+ wins and the lotto isn't a proven route to get there.

Comment

I agree that you can't always count on luck to build a team. But among the big dogs, how many built their consecutive successful seasons on clever signings ? Only one : the Celtics. All the others (Mavs, Lakers, Heat, Spurs, Magic, Bulls) hit a draft home run at one point and built around it.

We still need this guy, whether it's this year or in 2012 cause we have nice assets now, but we need a real all-star franchise player.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        A huge +1. It will be painful in the short term (1-2 seasons) but if draft picks pan out it will be worth it long term (3+ seasons).

Keep in mind OKC drafted 2nd in 2007, 4th in 2008, 3rd in 2009. To compare this to the Raptors we are just now at the 2007 stage.
                        Except the talent level is a few levels down.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                          Except the talent level is a few levels down.
                          How so?

Here is their roster from 2006-2007:
                          http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SEA/2007.html

The roster is not very good and they won 31 games with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. 11 players who played for them that year were 4th year or less in experience. They only won 35 games the year before and they drafted Sene. Then consider they traded Ray Allen for essentially the #5 pick and Rashard Lewis for a TPE and 2nd round pick. Also remember they were suppose to draft 5th overall and were struck by the lottery gods by moving up to #2, getting the best player in the draft at #2, and being fortunate that player is an actual franchise player. Despite this draft luck while trading away best players they still only won 20 games the following year to then nab Westbrook (23 wins) and then grab Harden and Ibaka (50 wins) two drafts after it all began.

The Raps, while not identical circumstances, traded Bosh for essentially a TPE and late first round pick last year. INstead of drafting Sene-type when they just missed out on playoffs they got a good player in ED. The Raps are just getting their first high draft pick of the rebuild after winning 22 games this year. You could argue last year was 2006-2007 but the Raps missed the playoffs on the last day of the playoffs whereas the Sonics/Thunder were 5th worst in the league. The Raptors also had 14 players with 4 years or less in experience.

My thinking goes this is 2006-2007 in comparison to the OKC rebuild. It is not identical but there are similarities. My assumption is based on this being the first year with a high lottery pick and being the first year where they said, "Let's blow it up and rebuild." When you look at the trades made in the last 10 months, I think this is a fair statement. The difference is SEA/OKC got the high pick and said, "We can't win with Lewis and Allen right now, if we keep them we'll never get a foundation to make a contending franchise so time to move on" at the same year (i.e. June/July) The Raps lost their best player last July, stopped pretending and really started the rebuild in November after a slow start and rash of injuries, and are just now nearly a year later getting the high draft pick.

Maybe it is a reach but in my world the comparison makes sense.

I think the quoted talent might be more appropriate after the draft and off season moves are made to actually see what the roster looks like. You may very well be correct in a few months but right now it is to be determined. The reality is their 2007-2008 team only won 20 games AFTER 2 high draft picks and this year's Raps team managed 22before any draft picks.
                          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 16, 2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

God Bless the low level of expectation for this franchise's fans

This team has been struggling for almost 8 years after departure of VC. We Blow a Number 1, 7, 8 and 16 pick in the process. We passed in many many talented players in the draft during all these years who turn out to be difference makers in other franchises.
                            We went through an array of Coaches and system without being able to find our identity.

Yes, there was moments of hope or even acceptable performances but over all, we have been sucking for a long time.

It is not only Childish but it is foolish to sit calmly and say that the way up ( like OKC) is to tank for many season and ... Just doing poorly for few years does not guarantee you will be a great team at the end !!

While you use OKC as your example, I can use Minni, Kings and ... as a counter example. You have to have the right GUY on the top, who has a set vision, who knows what he is doing to build your team step by step and maximize and utilize all your picks and cap rooms and ... to the best that is possible to build a team slowly.

Our Guy is BC who changes mind and direction more than any other GM in the league.

Comment

How so?
                              Nobody on our team is remotely close to Kevin Durants level. At best they're Westbrook. Following OKC's model works when there's a Kevin Durant in the draft. A team full of complementary players won't net you the same result.

Comment

Working...
                              X