Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Amir Johnson wants to be the team leader, says team needs a "legit center"

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OTFP wrote: View Post
    If Bargnani gets traded I wouldn't be at all surprised if he negotiated a release and went back to Europe to play.
    What?!?! Why? What sense would that make? First of all, why would a team give up assets to trade for him, and then simply buy him out? And why would he give up all that guaranteed money? That makes no sense at all.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

We can answer this one even easier.

Who in their right mind gives up $40M because they have to move to a different city?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    We can answer this one even easier.

Who in their right mind gives up $40M because they have to move to a different city?
    Well, what city would it be? Would it be one of the cities that is close to the nuclear plant in Japan? Or a city in the Ivory Coast? You couldn't pay me enough to move to one of those.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a player Ed can be a KG type of player a pf/c. i think amir is right though and we need a big body. could u imagine if dwight did come to to.. wow lol. the more we keep talking about centers maybe kanter is the guy we end up drafting this year. ( dont let my kanter comment turn this into a draft page) i was jnust commenting on the need for a center.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Well, what city would it be? Would it be one of the cities that is close to the nuclear plant in Japan? Or a city in the Ivory Coast? You couldn't pay me enough to move to one of those.
    What division do those two teams play in again?

Post Thanks / Like

What division do those two teams play in again?
    They're NDBL teams.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

LOOL, Amir wants to be the leader !! Scrubs are taking over Raptor and future will be even worst than what it is now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Show up in the Ivory Coast with $40M and you are the Immediate Ruler and Sovereign Leader.
    Show up with $20M and you could probably work a deal.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Show up in the Ivory Coast with $40M and you are the Immediate Ruler and Sovereign Leader.
    Show up with $20M and you could probably work a deal.
    Ya, but you'd last about a month.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

$10M/yr for a young seven footer who just posted 21PPG? lots of teams might buy that. They only just traded Hedont last summer and Bargnani's deal looks as valuable as two-for-one two-four's on the hottest day of the summer compared to what Hedont was locked in to be paid at his production level and age.

You're viewing this scenario through "jaded Raptors fan's glasses" instead of "optimistic rival team who is skeptical the Bargnani's coaching glasses"
    Read the post I was commenting on dude. I'm not that dumb.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Damn right, you know they think Bargs is a liability. He needs to pay MLSE some money back because him and BC robbed them.
    lmfao...i don't understand how anyone can still this tool...andrea blows harder than jenna jamieson
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

He may not play centre now but in the western conference final serious 2000/2001 against the lakers guess who was guarding Shaq.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thomas1 wrote: View Post
    He may not play centre now but in the western conference final serious 2000/2001 against the lakers guess who was guarding Shaq.
    Well, in 2000 it was Arvydas Sabonis. That was an awesome series. Imagine if he had joined the league when he was in his prime...we'd be talking about him right up there with Shaq and Kareem and Russell as the greatest centers of all time.

In 2001 it was David Robinson and Tim Duncan, most of the time. Another classic series I remember well. In fact, the t-wolves got knocked out in the first round every year from 2000-2003.

Perhaps you meant the 2004 western conference finals, where the Lakers played the T-wolves? Because if so, the answer is it was a platoon of Michael Oliwakandi, Earvin Johnson and Mark Madsen, mostly using Haq-a-Shaq. They even used noted Raptor porker Oliver Miller when the other guys ran out of fouls. Garnett had his hands full dealing with Karl Malone, and couldn't afford the foul trouble. I can only recall a very few possessions where he was stuck on Shaq, and he sure as hell didn't play anything resembling defense. Had some real conflicted emotions about that series/season, as a life-long Jazz fan and Lakers-hater, seeing the mailman in forum blue and gold.

(deleted) - Matt52
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Apr 15th, 2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment to another member

Post Thanks / Like

I think Sabonis deserves to be in conversations no matter how many years he played in the league. He dominated overseas for years and that should be worth something too.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Sabonis deserves to be in conversations no matter how many years he played in the league. He dominated overseas for years and that should be worth something too.
    agreed. truly revolutionary player right there. i could care less if he played 2 games in the league.

every big man who can bang down low, rebound, pass like a PG, and shoot a jumper from more than 10 ft from the basket owes him a debt of gratitude for breaking the mold

Post Thanks / Like

I love Amir. I really do. But I'm not sure what measure he is using when he says that the team "definitely got better than last year". Maybe he is referring to the team's draft position.

I also find it slightly amusing that he claims the Raptors "pretty much don't need any pieces" and then 90 seconds later he is throwing Bargnani under the bus by saying that the team needs a legit center.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    What the hell, KG a legit center, does Amir even know the game?
    I think a little better then you..

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    I love Amir. I really do. But I'm not sure what measure he is using when he says that the team "definitely got better than last year". Maybe he is referring to the team's draft position.

I also find it slightly amusing that he claims the Raptors "pretty much don't need any pieces" and then 90 seconds later he is throwing Bargnani under the bus by saying that the team needs a legit center.

Amen. That's what stood out to me as I read it too. That last game against Miami made it pretty clear to me that the pieces we have aren't anywhere near enough

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"We could use a center, like a Dwight or KG, I think we could use a legit center. It would work well with all the 4s on the floor."

I think as a fan it's easily for us to assume he's making a back-handed comment about Bargs, as if he really means to say:
    "Currently our center is Andrea Bargnani and he's no good. We need to replace him with a legit center, like Dwight or KG."

In my early years I was in a band, where I played rhythm guitar and sang lead vocals. One day we decided as a group that we should consider bringing in a singer who could do lead vocals, so that I could concentrate more on my guitar skills. I never took this as them meaning they wanted to replace me because I can't sing that well (I still ended up doing backup/harmony). It just allowed me to concentrate on things I was better at.

I'm not saying Bargs is the answer, but let's not misconstrue what Amir Johnson is saying and turn this into a story about players turning on eachother. Bargs himself said he'd prefer to play PF, which is also a roundabout way of saying this team still needs a legit C, which we do.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

This is an excellent point ebrian. There are multiple ways to take what he said. This is one scenario that could be right.

Thread Information