Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Available legitimate Center for Toronto

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Available legitimate Center for Toronto

It seems like the days of AB in Toronto are numbered which is good for AB as a player and for Raptor and Raptor fans to finally examine how their defense will improve without AB in the line up.

DD, Amir and the rest of young Gunz and scrubs all had their wish list presented to the Media today and it seems that a Legitimate Center is on top of their list.

Now, the question is NOT who fits that role but who will be available for trade this summer and who we can really get ?

I can not come up with even ONE name that I think will fit the bill, will be available for trades and more importantly is willing to come to Toronto in a struggling team like Raptors. But maybe some of your guys can come up with names so lets hear it.

Free-agent List:

http://es.pn/cMVe8b

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if we throw enough money at Marc Gasol we could get him. Same goes for DeAndre Jordan (preferable IMO). Greg Oden is a restricted free agent , he's mighty risky but if he can come in and stay healthy he's got franchise Center written all over him. And if we get really desperate, Sam Dalembert is a free agent, along with Tyson Chandler. There are lots of options in terms of guys being up for grabs this summer, it's just a matter of attracting them here.
    I'm personally hoping that BC,or whoever our GM is, offers DeAndre Jordan too much money to pass up. Not a max deal or anything, but the same sort of deal we have Bargnani here for. Even though it is probably way above the market price, it would give us a young an potentially franchise level talent at center going forward an would basically set up our Front Court as th best young rotation in the league.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I think if we throw enough money at Marc Gasol we could get him. Same goes for DeAndre Jordan (preferable IMO). Greg Oden is a restricted free agent , he's mighty risky but if he can come in and stay healthy he's got franchise Center written all over him. And if we get really desperate, Sam Dalembert is a free agent, along with Tyson Chandler. There are lots of options in terms of guys being up for grabs this summer, it's just a matter of attracting them here.
    I'm personally hoping that BC,or whoever our GM is, offers DeAndre Jordan too much money to pass up. Not a max deal or anything, but the same sort of deal we have Bargnani here for. Even though it is probably way above the market price, it would give us a young an potentially franchise level talent at center going forward an would basically set up our Front Court as th best young rotation in the league.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that were talking about actually getting a center i think Oden might be exactly what the raptors need. we keep talking about trading bargnani an what not but if we had Amir, Davis, Bargnani and oden i think that would be enough bigs that we could have a big defensive center like oden and play him in more limited minutes .i am worried about oden getting injured again but hopefully he could stay healthy.
    Last edited by pesterm1; Fri Apr 15th, 2011 at 03:16 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    Now that were talking about actually getting a center i think Oden might be exactly what the raptors need. we keep talking about trading bargnani an what not but if we had Amir, Davis, Bargnani and oden i think that would be enough bigs thatwe could have a big defensive center like oden and play him in more limited minutes .i am worried about oden getting injured again but he could be exactly what the raptors need IMO.
    Oden is as brittle as glass, wayyyyy too much risk IMO. I'd much rather have Bargs then a guy who'll get hurt after 20-30 games.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is there a desperate need to find a replacement right away? The team's not going to contend anytime soon. Between Amir and Davis and maybe a half decent veteran, they can hold fort until something better comes along. Oklahoma did fine with Krstic as a placeholder until they were able to acquire Kendrick Perkins. Everybody seems to want to settle the positions now. You're not going to find three long term solutions for the PG, SF and C position this summer. What you need to do is keeping moving the team in the right direction and build piece by piece. If a good center is available then grab him, whether it be through the draft (Kanter, Jonas or even Biyombo, maybe), a trade or free agency. But don't invest in someone who isn't exactly what you need simply to plug a hole.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Why is there a desperate need to find a replacement right away? The team's not going to contend anytime soon. Between Amir and Davis and maybe a half decent veteran, they can hold fort until something better comes along. Oklahoma did fine with Krstic as a placeholder until they were able to acquire Kendrick Perkins. Everybody seems to want to settle the positions now. You're not going to find three long term solutions for the PG, SF and C position this summer. What you need to do is keeping moving the team in the right direction and build piece by piece. If a good center is available then grab him, whether it be through the draft (Kanter, Jonas or even Biyombo, maybe), a trade or free agency. But don't invest in someone who isn't exactly what you need simply to plug a hole.
    Ya you right, i agree 100percent.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    lol, pretty much.

Why is there a desperate need to find a replacement right away? The team's not going to contend anytime soon
    I think the idea is to bring as much of the core together as early as possible and et them get used to playing together. Than in a few years we can see what we still need to fill spots. It is not necessary to find these guys, but it wold be nice. Also, what else should we talk about?
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

People have been high on Marc Gasol, but I think Raptor fans would tire quickly of this guy. WE are talking about a guy that put up 11.7 points and a wopping 7 rebounds per game this year, last season he was looking like a breakout center, but it looks like he has come back to the pack.

Raptors Republic Starter raptorsking's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    maybe we can somehow convince Memphis to make a bargnani/gasol based deal.

Raptors Republic Starter raptorsking's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    People have been high on Marc Gasol, but I think Raptor fans would tire quickly of this guy. WE are talking about a guy that put up 11.7 points and a wopping 7 rebounds per game this year, last season he was looking like a breakout center, but it looks like he has come back to the pack.
    the grizz are full of black holes,

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys are severely overvaluing DeAndre Jordan if you're talking about giving him a deal in the $9-10 million dollar range annually. I think his extensive highlight reel this season may be clouding the water a little bit. He averages 7 and 7 on a lottery team that has completely dedicated itself to a youth movement. His field goal percentage is impressive (close to 70%) but it's more or less because he's incapable of making any shot that's not a dunk. He's also a 45% free throw shooter which nullifies some of the benefits of that high FG%. He'd be an upgrade defensively and I'd welcome him to the team, but I dont think that removing Bargnani and plugging in Jordan would help this team win more games (and I'm actually a Bargnani hater)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Tim, no point in getting rammy. If we don't land the number one pick in the draft (Kyrie Irving) I wonder what areas the Raptors management are going to address?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post

Agreed. That being said there is also potential for trades to acquire a center that might fit the bill.

I have no knowledge of his availability but with Chandler most likely to resign with Dallas I'm sure Haywood might be open to trade as he's played the lowest minutes of his career in Dallas since Cuban acquired Chandler. His rebounding and shot blocking as a veteran big could come in handy and it never hurts to have the UNC connection with him and Davis.

Once again, pure speculation.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Chandler
    Sammy D
    Nazr Mohammed
    DeAndre Jordan
    (We could draft Kanter or Jonas too)

Post Thanks / Like

Tyson Chandler, Deandre Jordan, would both be nice. Via trade Emeka Okafor I would like especially next to ED. With a young team, I like the possibility of drafting Valenciunas/Kanter, especially if we can swing a trade with the Kings for a) their lotto pick (which they have said they are open to trading) to use on one of them and b) C Jason Thompson (who they have shopped earlier in the year) to back up/fill a hole until the draft pick is ready.

Dalembert is also available, not that I want him. He is a legit C, but his attitude is less than desireable.

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Oden is as brittle as glass, wayyyyy too much risk IMO. I'd much rather have Bargs then a guy who'll get hurt after 20-30 games.
    Portland has stated that if Oden is on track in his rehab they will absolutely extend the QO to him at over $8M. First, that's a lot of money to a guy who virtually has not played so no we should not chase, and if they don't offer it, it tells you everything you need to know about his rehab. Should be noted though that Bargnani missed 20 games this year.
    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    Agreed. That being said there is also potential for trades to acquire a center that might fit the bill.

I have no knowledge of his availability but with Chandler most likely to resign with Dallas I'm sure Haywood might be open to trade as he's played the lowest minutes of his career in Dallas since Cuban acquired Chandler. His rebounding and shot blocking as a veteran big could come in handy and it never hurts to have the UNC connection with him and Davis.

Once again, pure speculation.
    If Chandler stays in Dallas, fine, but DO NOT chase a man who is in his 30s and signed to a sizeable contract until he is 37.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WhatWhat wrote: View Post
    Chandler
    Sammy D
    Nazr Mohammed
    DeAndre Jordan
    (We could draft Kanter or Jonas too)
    Why would Chandler come here? There will be lots of contenders looking for his services, he has made some good money and winning will be more of a focus right now.

Sam Dalembert is a huge ?, it has always been question on how good of a teammate he is.

Mohamed is 34 years old, has never been a great rebounder or shot blocker.

DeAndre Jordan, Great size, good upside and is young....But with our lack of shot creating bigs (Bargs counted as being gone) he would struggle mightily with Ed and Amir, we would have the lowest scoring starting front-court in the league. For the right price he is the only one I take of that group......Chandler would be nice but I don't think he is gettable.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Any player who is going to be 30 or older next year should be taken off the list - bye Chandler, bye Dalembert, bye Nazr.

I would be looking in to Al Jefferson in Utah. He is only 26, is one of the best low post scorers in the league, only has 2 years left on his contract, would allow the Raps to draft a C like Kanter or Valanciunas and let them develop plus he'll give you 10rebs/2blks a night to go along with 20 points. If Utah were looking to trade him because of his salary and where they are in relation to the salary cap, I'd be all over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Any player who is going to be 30 or older next year should be taken off the list - bye Chandler, bye Dalembert, bye Nazr.

I would be looking in to Al Jefferson in Utah. He is only 26, is one of the best low post scorers in the league, only has 2 years left on his contract, would allow the Raps to draft a C like Kanter or Valanciunas and let them develop plus he'll give you 10rebs/2blks a night to go along with 20 points. If Utah were looking to trade him because of his salary and where they are in relation to the salary cap, I'd be all over it.
    I worry about his defense, but for 2 yrs while developing? Maybe. Only if we get a pick with him though. Not sure they would go for that, but maybe they would.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    I worry about his defense, but for 2 yrs while developing? Maybe. Only if we get a pick with him though. Not sure they would go for that, but maybe they would.
    Defense would be a concern but it would still be much better than what Bargnani currently offers plus the rebounding at the starting C spot would literally double.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information