Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Available legitimate Center for Toronto

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Id probably go for Oden first.

If Portland is willing to pay him $8 mil for a year, im pretty sure they see something really good with his rehab. No way theyre going to put that much money on him if they didnt think he'll be good to go next season. If we can offer $11 mil, a starting spot and unlimited healthcare, Oden might consider it. What have we got to lose? Like you guys keep saying, we're in a rebuilding mode anyways, its not like we are going to contend next season anyways. And its not like there's a whole lot of All-star caliber FAs during the offseason. Might be worth the gamble.

If not, then id take Chandler.
    He's a RFA after they make the qualifying offer. They're going to probably match any offer that's realistic. I don't want the Raptors offering up $11M/yr to a guy who's only been physically able to participate in 25% of regulars season games over the past four years. That's crazy. There is a lot to lose by doing that. If that fails you go from rebuilding team right now to potentially being in a similar place still four or five years later.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I really like Chandler and was infuriated when jordon nixed the trade, but I have no desire to take him on now. He's getting older and I'm super cautious of signing someone coming off a contract year playing on a great team. Maybe I'm just being anal or overly cautious but that's my feelings on Chandler.

For me the list of centers id throw money at is: Gasol and Deandre. That's it. Otherwise just draft Kanter/Jonas/Biyombo and roll with that.
    For some reason, i thought Chandler was only 27, but when you pointed this out, i checked his age and he's already 29. But regardless, if Camby is able to play competively at 37, no reason why chandler cant play another 3-4 more years. He hasnt had any major injuries, and he's very much in shape to avoid them. What's good with chandler is he's a very good weakside defender. Very good help defender, which the raps are sorely lacking on. Im picking chandler on the assumption that Bargnani will still be here next season, if he gets traded, then its a whole new different perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    He's a RFA after they make the qualifying offer. They're going to probably match any offer that's realistic. I don't want the Raptors offering up $11M/yr to a guy who's only been physically able to participate in 25% of regulars season games over the past four years. That's crazy. There is a lot to lose by doing that. If that fails you go from rebuilding team right now to potentially being in a similar place still four or five years later.
    Like i said, Portland is probably seeing something good out of his rehab for them to offer him a qualifying offer.
    If he was healthy and avg the numbers he's been predicted to avg, then he'd probably command a higher price tag. No way Toronto can afford him then. Say if you give him $22mil for the next 2 years, if he gets injured, im pretty sure the raps can get an exemption and get another player in. If we draft a center, he's going to be on rookie salary anyways so really, the $22 mil is not going to hurt the cap. Plus, what are you going to spend the 22mil anyways? you guys are saying no way theyre going to contend in a year or two anyways, so who are you going to spend the 22mil on? By the time the contract expires, if he doesnt pan out, the Center you drafted will probably be ready to start. And if he does get healthy, youll have a 24 yr old center who has the ability to be a dominant player in the league. The guy is only 22. I really think Portland rushed him way too early last season, that is why now that theyve given him a full year off, theyre going to extend him the qualifying offer coz they know he's well on his way to a healthy season. How would it set the raptors back 4 or 5 years down the road if his contract is only good for 2 years? Im just saying 2 years is a reasonable offer to give him, not sure if thats doable under the CBA.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed May 4th, 2011 at 04:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, there is a rumor on the NBA board that the Blazers may be willing to give him $40M over four years. That's a huge risk. The fact that he's only 22 years old and has had such major health issues is a huge concern. If his body is breaking down this early you have to wonder what's coming next. His young age is not a positive here given the circumstances. Best to put that aside.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, there is a rumor on the NBA board that the Blazers may be willing to give him $40M over four years. That's a huge risk. The fact that he's only 22 years old and has had such major health issues is a huge concern. If his body is breaking down this early you have to wonder what's coming next. His young age is not a positive here given the circumstances. Best to put that aside.
    Yikes, i dont know about 4 years, unless there's a stipulation in the contract that if he doesnt play at least 60 games the 1s year then the contract is voided, but i dont think thats possible.

I guess we can use Amare for this argument, if he was able to have microfracture surgery on both knees at 23 and be able to come back and play the way he is playing now, then there is a glimmer of hope for Oden.

Post Thanks / Like

Amare is a rare case. Most people don't recover like that. Not to mention Amare had at least been healthy for a time before having the injury and surgery. If Oden has a Antonio McDyess post surgery era career he should thank his lucky stars. If he has that kind of career then he's not worth $10-11M/yr. I wouldn't buy into Greg Oden no more than I would purchase a car that was once in the middle of hurricane Katrina. It's just not a smart investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Cuban, of course, is the wildcard, but Mango, who do you really want? You switched to a more dissenting note on the C's, as you started out wanting Nene, now you are backing off there, don't want Dalembert (agree with you there), no to Curry (of course I agree here), don't think we will get Chandler, etc.

Pretty much leaves you with the Al Jefferson pickup just so you can watch Tim go crazy, unless of course you are happy sitting with Bargnani in the face of BC saying the Raps need a legitimate big, defensive C. Who else do you see?
    I'd rather either drafting a Kanter/Valancuinas, or yeah, sticking with Bargnani. Good 5's are at a premium. Everyone wants them and everyone is going to pay through the nose for them. Even the horrible ones get paid (see Jerome James, Eddy Curry, etc). I don't see why acquiring a centre for this upcoming season is of utmost importance.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I'd rather either drafting a Kanter/Valancuinas, or yeah, sticking with Bargnani. Good 5's are at a premium. Everyone wants them and everyone is going to pay through the nose for them. Even the horrible ones get paid (see Jerome James, Eddy Curry, etc). I don't see why acquiring a centre for this upcoming season is of utmost importance.
    I would prefer picking up Kanter as well, but just going by what BC is saying (and the original basis for this thread I believe), he wants an experienced C, who plays strong defense. That is not a draft pick, nor is it Bargnani. However as we stated, this is what WE would do. I would ultimately use Bargnani to get SAC's pick (they have publicly said it is available) and go for Kanter, assuming we get pick 1/2. If we are #3, take Kanter with our pick.

Post Thanks / Like

2 – Keep Greg Oden
    Greg Oden will get better; the only question is if he can, finally, stay healthy once he does get back in game shape. One sentiment I've heard a lot in the past few months is something along the lines of this: Isn't it better for the Portland Trail Blazers and Greg Oden to part ways?

My answer: No matter where Oden plays, he will still be the former number one pick who hasn't made his mark. That doesn't go away. It will never go away. It's something that just is, and it's time for everyone to recognize that part of Oden's history is, really, irrelevant to Oden's now.

Portland has indicated all along they will issue Greg Oden as $8.8 million Qualifying Offer by June 30th, therefore making him a restricted free agent. At that point Oden has three choices: 1) sign the one-year deal; 2) negotiate a long-term deal with Portland; 3) find another team willing to make him an offer Portland will have the option of matching.

Portland desperately needs another center on their roster and, if healthy (yes, if), Oden is the best possible option. He's proven that in the 82 games he did play. The real question is if the team wants to work out a longer term deal with Oden, and if so, for how much? Three years starting at $5 million per season seems like a reasonable deal. Will another team offer him ridiculous money? Will there be any ridiculous money under the new CBA?
    Source: HoopsWorld.com

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    For some reason, i thought Chandler was only 27, but when you pointed this out, i checked his age and he's already 29. But regardless, if Camby is able to play competively at 37, no reason why chandler cant play another 3-4 more years.
    So he can play well right up until the Raptors start getting good. Then they have to find a replacement for him. For a position that most teams struggle at.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I say Kanter is our only option in this years draft, because Bargs isn't gonna take Ed or Amir's job, and he certainly wont play effectively off the bench at the 5 spot ,so this guy needs to hit the road. Bargs' contract is so bad, most teams will pass on him.
    Kanter will be effective as soon as he plays.

Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors need help all over the place. They should take the best player available. Crap teams shouldn't pick and choose.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors need help all over the place. They should take the best player available. Crap teams shouldn't pick and choose.
    Agreed. You only pick based on position if the rest of the team is set and the pick meets your needs perfectly.

I don't know if anyone mentioned him already in the 15 pages of this thread, but Przybilla could probably be had for a reasonable price. His oversized contract ends this season. Assuming we pick Kanter, I wouldn't be against a bigs rotation of Davis, Johnson, Kanter and Przybilla. If we needed another vet big, someone like Elson could probably be had for the minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

Default This should be interesting

Yao is set to be a free agent on July 1st
    The single biggest decision the Rockets have to make this offseason is whether or not to extend oft-injured All-Star center Yao Ming.
    The Rockets lost a lot of games and needed a lot of luck to get the top pick which yielded Yao Ming in the first place, so a decision to part ways with him would not come easily, injured or not.
    As the Rockets eagerly watch Yao Ming's progress they are also preparing a contingency plan. The top two centers available this summer are expected to be the Dallas Mavericks' Tyson Chandler and the Memphis Grizzlies' Marc Gasol, and while there is some question as to how effective Chandler can be when he's not playing with an elite playmaker (i.e. Jason Kidd or Chris Paul), the Rockets have long had their sites set on Gasol, and believe they could swing a deal to create the cap space needed to land him.

Of course, they also know there will be stiff competition for Gasol's services.
    Source: HoopsWorld.com

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Tyson Chandler gets his ring ... then goes North where he can get one last FAT contract ...

Or maybe the Raps develop Jonas as the C of the future? Running with him, Bargs, Amir and ED.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani is toast. He does not fit with anything Colangelo has been saying in the last two months.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Maybe Tyson Chandler gets his ring ... then goes North where he can get one last FAT contract ...

Or maybe the Raps develop Jonas as the C of the future? Running with him, Bargs, Amir and ED.
    who ever signs him will be over paying - his play will decline after next year - I would rather someone younger hungrier and less expensive *ahem* DeAndre Jordan
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    who ever signs him will be over paying - his play will decline after next year - I would rather someone younger hungrier and less expensive *ahem* DeAndre Jordan
    Jordan is a hack machine. We got one of those on our team. His name is Amir Johnson. I wouldn't overpay for D Jordan. Some team is going to hand the kid a fat contract with the *HOPES* he becomes something more than a depth centre.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread Information