• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    ^^^^ Again, Relax Brother. The message is SIMPLE:

DON'T LIKE IT , DON'T READ IT ....

Now, Smile so the world smiles at you
    There is very little to get upset about here. I am not so I do not understand the comments to relax. I am sure most of the regular members would verify all of my discussions are very logical and rational and when opinions are expressed, it said to be opinions and not passed as fact.

The question still remains - why the constant negativity?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      There is very little to get upset about here. I am not so I do not understand the comments to relax. I am sure most of the regular members would verify all of my discussions are very logical and rational and when opinions are expressed, it said to be opinions and not passed as fact.

+1

Comment

I think BC's press conference today pretty much showed that, with or without Bargnani, a legit C is on the agenda this summer.

That got me thinking about opponent PER. No advanced statistic can give a true indication of defensive (or offensive) ability but it can at least help paint a picture and, when using same stat for everyone, can compare apples to apples.
        For a more in depth breakdown of some of the league's Centers and PF/C's, there's good information in this thread by ezz_bee:

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ct-Vs.-the-NBA

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
          For a more in depth breakdown of some of the league's Centers and PF/C's, there's good information in this thread by ezz_bee:

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ct-Vs.-the-NBA
          Yes, that was a very good post. Thanks for reminding.

Comment

• Regarding Kaman...man, I had no idea he's missed so many games. In the past 4 seasons, he played 56, 31, 76 and 32 games. A durable center in the traditional mold is a rare specimen indeed.

Comment

What you call negativity , I call realistic view of the current situation.
              What you call positivity, I call delusional and wishful thinking.

At the end, some of your extra " Positive" , enthusiastic maybe balance with some of my post and we get something close to reality

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                I don't understand why no one wants Chris Kaman...but everyone praised Jesus when the Raps almost landed Tyson Chandler. It makes no sense

They're the same age, but Kaman is a better scorer, and holds his opponents to a lower PER than does Chandler. He also blocks more shots than Chandler. Kaman has also been an all-star.
                I was happy about almost getting Chandler because a) I thought it would make Bargnani expendable and b) it gave the Raptors more financial flexibility. I'm actually surprised about Kaman's defensive PER, because I've never considered him a very good defensive center.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Starting Center proposition...

Given the fact that Memphis just showered Rudy Gay, Mike Conley and Zach Randolph with a truck load of cash, it might open the door for a center needy team like the Raps to offer up a front loaded deal that is slightly above market value - which will likely be in the $10-12 million range - for Mark Gasol

I'd be OK with that given the fact that last year Gasol's stats were much better and when you play next to a glass cleaner like Randolph there simply aren't as many boards to be had. He was nearly 2 blocks a game and on our squad he'd offer double digit rebounds and a true presence in the paint at both ends of the court (i.e. physically willing and capable to bang with other 5's), plus he's in his mid-20's so he wouldn't fall under the pay-him-than-watch-his-production-decline-yearly category as his pay scale increases. (see Tyson Chandler, Sam Dalembert, etc who would be 30+ and about to fall off).

The only other guy I'd throw any money at would be DeAndre Jordan, who is in his early 20's and seems destined to be a Joakim Noah clone. Will he ever be a #1 (or even 2 or 3) scorer? I doubt it, but being a double digit rebounder and intimidater at the rim would erase alot of our perimeter defense issues, and at least help in masking Bargnani's deficiencies.

Those are the only two free agent bigs I would throw money at, and believe that given their age and the needs we have (a Center who can guard opposing 5's one-on-one, rebound and provide help defense) they would be worth overpaying - which will be necessary given their restricted free agent status.

I doubt the Clippers let Jordan walk since he's so young and a near perfect compliment to Blake Griffin (he doesn't demand a lot of touches and will simply be asked to attack the offensive glass and provide energy), and I'm surprised I don't hear much talk about Chris Kaman who seems to be the forgotten man in Clipper land. Yes he's a bit overpaid, but as a 7-footer who can score in the post, be a 10+ rebounder and offer close to 2 blocks a game for his career, he'd be a perfect fit for the Raptors.

We nearly acquired Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw for Jose Calderon and some matching contracts this past offseason; I say you take a serious look at seeing if the Clippers want a pass-first, floor general to compliment the scorers they already have on their roster like Griffin, Gordon and Mo Williams. And if you think Mo Williams is a true point guard you're dreaming. Although Eric Bledsoe may get in the way it wouldn't hurt to give him another year of seasoning before you ramp up his minutes when Calderon's contract expires and Mo Williams declines. We would basically be swapping overpaid veterans, but acquiring positions of need for each team.

Any thoughts on my Calderon for Kaman line of thought? I think Calderon is one of our few tradeable assets and he would have value on a team in need of a stable pass-first Point Guard; I'm just a little down on him because he plays defense like a Spanish Matador (Ole!) and isn't aggressive enough on a team with few playmakers who create their own shot consistently.

I invite comments or rebuttle.

Comment

• what about Yi Jianlian? i know you guys are going to laugh at me for saying that but i'm still throwing his name out there.

Comment

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                      what about Yi Jianlian? i know you guys are going to laugh at me for saying that but i'm still throwing his name out there.
                      Why Jianlian? I'd like to know why you'd throw his name into the hat.

Personally, I think he's basically Bargnani 2.0 without the shooting skills.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        Why Jianlian? I'd like to know why you'd throw his name into the hat.

Personally, I think he's basically Bargnani 2.0 without the shooting skills.
                        idk i just randomly threw out a name. I want us to get Samuel Dalambert

Comment

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                          idk i just randomly threw out a name. I want us to get Samuel Dalambert
                          Why would you want the Raptors to get Dalembert? What's your reason? You need to expand it a bit.

Comment

• Memphis told Zach Randolph straight up when signing him that they were signing Marc Gasol to a long term contract. They have repeatedly stated they will match any sheet for him if it goes beyond the time they take to sign. They hold his bird rights, and can sign him now before the current CBA goes the way of the dodo avoiding taking chances. Toronto cannot even offer until the CBA is settled. I would say take Gasol off the table, he's not coming to dinner.

Comment

• T.McNeely wrote: View Post
                              Given the fact that Memphis just showered Rudy Gay, Mike Conley and Zach Randolph with a truck load of cash, it might open the door for a center needy team like the Raps to offer up a front loaded deal that is slightly above market value - which will likely be in the $10-12 million range - for Mark Gasol

I'd be OK with that given the fact that last year Gasol's stats were much better and when you play next to a glass cleaner like Randolph there simply aren't as many boards to be had. He was nearly 2 blocks a game and on our squad he'd offer double digit rebounds and a true presence in the paint at both ends of the court (i.e. physically willing and capable to bang with other 5's), plus he's in his mid-20's so he wouldn't fall under the pay-him-than-watch-his-production-decline-yearly category as his pay scale increases. (see Tyson Chandler, Sam Dalembert, etc who would be 30+ and about to fall off).

The only other guy I'd throw any money at would be DeAndre Jordan, who is in his early 20's and seems destined to be a Joakim Noah clone. Will he ever be a #1 (or even 2 or 3) scorer? I doubt it, but being a double digit rebounder and intimidater at the rim would erase alot of our perimeter defense issues, and at least help in masking Bargnani's deficiencies.

Those are the only two free agent bigs I would throw money at, and believe that given their age and the needs we have (a Center who can guard opposing 5's one-on-one, rebound and provide help defense) they would be worth overpaying - which will be necessary given their restricted free agent status.

I doubt the Clippers let Jordan walk since he's so young and a near perfect compliment to Blake Griffin (he doesn't demand a lot of touches and will simply be asked to attack the offensive glass and provide energy), and I'm surprised I don't hear much talk about Chris Kaman who seems to be the forgotten man in Clipper land. Yes he's a bit overpaid, but as a 7-footer who can score in the post, be a 10+ rebounder and offer close to 2 blocks a game for his career, he'd be a perfect fit for the Raptors.

We nearly acquired Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw for Jose Calderon and some matching contracts this past offseason; I say you take a serious look at seeing if the Clippers want a pass-first, floor general to compliment the scorers they already have on their roster like Griffin, Gordon and Mo Williams. And if you think Mo Williams is a true point guard you're dreaming. Although Eric Bledsoe may get in the way it wouldn't hurt to give him another year of seasoning before you ramp up his minutes when Calderon's contract expires and Mo Williams declines. We would basically be swapping overpaid veterans, but acquiring positions of need for each team.

Any thoughts on my Calderon for Kaman line of thought? I think Calderon is one of our few tradeable assets and he would have value on a team in need of a stable pass-first Point Guard; I'm just a little down on him because he plays defense like a Spanish Matador (Ole!) and isn't aggressive enough on a team with few playmakers who create their own shot consistently.

I invite comments or rebuttle.
                              See my above post re: Gasol. As for trading for Kaman, not there with you man. As noted above by some other posters, he is annually injured to a huge extent, for that money not worth the chance imo. Big men are dangerous for this very fact, and as some others have pointed out "big men get paid like it or not". I am still for a Thompson and pick from SAC as best option, however open to DJordan if he can be gotten for relatively decent money. Hard to see LAC letting him go as you say.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
                                Memphis told Zach Randolph straight up when signing him that they were signing Marc Gasol to a long term contract. They have repeatedly stated they will match any sheet for him if it goes beyond the time they take to sign. They hold his bird rights, and can sign him now before the current CBA goes the way of the dodo avoiding taking chances. Toronto cannot even offer until the CBA is settled. I would say take Gasol off the table, he's not coming to dinner.
                                Here we go then. I guess we are down to DeAndrea Jordan now.
                                Do Clippers hold his birds right as well ??
                                Kaman is coming off their books at the end of 2012 and I don't think Clippers will sign him up, given all his injuries and ...

Raptors in order to satisfy their vocal leader, Amir Johnson and DD, need to open their wallet and spent large sum of money to take this guy away from Clippers OR next year, we will have same defense from our boys with the same excuse, no REAL CENTER !!!!
                                )

Comment

Working...
                                X