Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Available legitimate Center for Toronto

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kinda iffy on Nene. The kid's a beast, but he's also older and has had a history of injury problems. Caveat emptor, especially 5's with injury problems. And there's always the talk that he wants one last payday so he can retire back in Brazil and help his church. If we were a real team on the rise missing a centre, I might be inclined to reach for him, but we're not in that position, so I really wouldn't feel comfortable overpaying for him.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I'm kinda iffy on Nene. The kid's a beast, but he's also older and has had a history of injury problems. Caveat emptor, especially 5's with injury problems. And there's always the talk that he wants one last payday so he can retire back in Brazil and help his church. If we were a real team on the rise missing a centre, I might be inclined to reach for him, but we're not in that position, so I really wouldn't feel comfortable overpaying for him.
    I would not spend the money on Nene. By the time the young players on the team can contribute, he'll be past his peak.

I would worry about the injury history and cancer as well. I hate to fault a guy for either but when you are talking precious cap space and, as Apollo pointed out, considering he averages 58 games per season - I don't think so.

Also this quote got me:

"I've been here for nine years," Nene told the Post. "If that doesn't work how you want it, you need to sit down and evaluate everything and see what you can do. ...

"I did my best for the team, for the city. I tried to do my best for the fans,” he added. “But the (Nuggets) need to understand you need to see the return on the other side, or you need to look for it. You need to look for it sometimes.

"They don't realize all of the sacrifices I made. When you don't feel appreciated, it's hard."
    Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...#ixzz1LKpV3TgU
    All the sacrifices he has made? Maybe I am missing something here but these are my thoughts:
    1) you married a DEN woman - not much sacrifice living in DEN especially considering a month or two ago it was all about staying or possibly retiring if traded.
    2) DEN signed you to a three year contract then a 6 year extension and have paid you $70M
    3) They stuck by you throughout your injuries and health scares - and paid you handsomely all the while
    4) It has only been the last 3 seasons where he has been able to be counted on
    5) Everyone makes sacrifices on a team - if you want to be 100% for yourself, play singles tennis.

Again, maybe I'm missing something here, but Nene went down a peg in my books after reading that quote. Nene is another person with a short term memory and suffering from "What have you done for me lately?"-itis. All my opinion, as usual. If someone can add anything that might help me see his sacrifices, I'd appreciate it.

Raptors Republic Rookie northgrantballer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very curious as to the quality of Enas Kanter. He has been hurt for the entire year I frankly, I fear he is the next Oden. However if there is a better option on the board ( Williams, Irving, Walker, ect) I would go with them and try to lure out a defensive big that can run like Chandler and keep Bargnani to have a lineup of Chandler, Bargnani, Johnson(williams), DeRozan, Calderon(Irving). Which would give us a great fast break, promise, veteran leadership, and cap space.
    P.S - Get rid of Triano

Post Thanks / Like

Quote northgrantballer wrote: View Post
    I'm very curious as to the quality of Enas Kanter. He has been hurt for the entire year I frankly, I fear he is the next Oden. However if there is a better option on the board ( Williams, Irving, Walker, ect) I would go with them and try to lure out a defensive big that can run like Chandler and keep Bargnani to have a lineup of Chandler, Bargnani, Johnson(williams), DeRozan, Calderon(Irving). Which would give us a great fast break, promise, veteran leadership, and cap space.
    P.S - Get rid of Triano
    Kanter was not hurt for the entire year that I am aware of. He was deemed ineligible under NCAA rules for excessive benefits received while playing in Turkey. I believe the amount was $33,000. There have been questions surrounding his knees, but that would be very thoroughly examined in the medicals and has yet to be proved to be anything other than a rumour.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

P.S - Get rid of Triano
    Further to Matt52's reply post...the issue of Kanter's injuries seems to be taking on entire life and embellishment. He has actually spent the entire season at Kentucky U. and had been assigned a player-coach designation by Calipari...probably so he could workout with the team though ineligible to play. Regarding his knee injuries could you provide a single source of description and authentication of the type of injury he suffered and his rehab period (no blog posts please)? I have also heard thru a blog posting that all he had was tendinitis.These pronouncement of knee injuries and comparison to Oden are getting tiresome.
    Last edited by Bendit; Tue May 3rd, 2011 at 09:03 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

P.S - Get rid of Triano
    lol not a clue

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Further to Matt52's reply post...the issue of Kanter's injuries seems to be taking on entire life and embellishment. He has actually spent the entire season at Kentucky U. and had been assigned a player-coach designation by Calipari...probably so he could workout with the team though ineligible to play. Regarding his knee injuries could you provide a single source of description and authentication of the type of injury he suffered and his rehab period (no blog posts please)? I have also heard thru a blog posting that all he had was tendinitis.These pronouncement of knee injuries and comparison to Oden are getting tiresome.
    I've question his knee issues, as well, and really found nothing to support the claim he has knee problems. From what I've been able to gather, most of the accounts are second or third hand, and none seem to be able to point to anything in particular, just the vague "knee problems".

I also don't think there's ANY comparison to Oden, who never looked like he was great physically, even when he was supposedly healthy.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

If Kanter has two even legs he is already one up on Oden.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep in mind that this is the NY Post...

With the chances slim of adding a quality center with the 17th pick in the draft and with an unkind salary cap situation in 2011, sources close to Knicks president Donnie Walsh say he has targeted Kings 6-foot-11 shotblocker Samuel Dalembert as the likeliest free-agent catch this summer.
    Dalembert would be the perfect fit for a roster that does not contain a legit starting center. Dalembert, who turns 30 this week, averaged 8.1 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocks this season for the troubled Kings, who have threatened to move to Anaheim but appear ready to stay in Sacramento at least one more year.

In the first-round sweep, coach Mike D'Antoni started injury-prone Ronny Turiaf at center, and Jared Jeffries, who will be a free agent, was the backup.
    Source: NY Post

That would be one guy on the table who I would not want to see in a Raptors jersey.
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed May 4th, 2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: entered title

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Source: NY Post

That would be one guy on the table who I would not want to see in a Raptors jersey.
    But again would take away another team looking for a C and leave other options open to the Raps.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Chandler in Toronto. We can sign him current salary position. Who knows if Cuban keeps him or not, that would be the (multi) million dollar question. Does Cuban make a run for Howard? Would not be outside his realm...but I digress.

Sign TChandler, before draft or moving other large contracts the lineup:
    PG: Bayless, Calderon,
    SG: Derozan, Barbosa (assuming likely opt-in)
    SF: JJ, Kleiza
    PF: ED, Amir
    C: TChandler, Bargnani, Alabi
    puts salary at around $58M(plus pick$). Not lots of money leftover but still trades need to be done, and of course some TPE left with many options discussed here and in the trade forum. If the draft yields KIrving, DWilliams or Kanter it will dictate the priority trades. Bargnani still probably holds the best value back to get bench options, Barbosa has potential, Calderon not sure, Bayless possible. Regardless, a Chandler signing immediately helps round out the roster before considering draft picks. It would make chasing any other FA's difficult without shedding salary (Barbosa, Calderon, Bargnani.)

This scenario would put Bargs as a 6th man (am sure you noticed I didn't put him at PF). I am not sold on keeping him (by any stretch), but off the bench to play next to Chandler and playing as he did this year with ED/Amir, does have possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Note before you jump on this I know we don't SIGN Chandler before the draft/lockout etc, I mean look at the lineup before considering slotting in the draft pick or trades.

Post Thanks / Like

Put KIrving in here with Chandler, Irving anchoring with DD, JJ and ED that is an exciting proposition in my view.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Chandler in Toronto. We can sign him current salary position. Who knows if Cuban keeps him or not, that would be the (multi) million dollar question. Does Cuban make a run for Howard? Would not be outside his realm...but I digress.

puts salary at around $58M(plus pick$). Not lots of money leftover but still trades need to be done, and of course some TPE left with many options discussed here and in the trade forum. If the draft yields KIrving, DWilliams or Kanter it will dictate the priority trades. Bargnani still probably holds the best value back to get bench options, Barbosa has potential, Calderon not sure, Bayless possible. Regardless, a Chandler signing immediately helps round out the roster before considering draft picks. It would make chasing any other FA's difficult without shedding salary (Barbosa, Calderon, Bargnani.)

This scenario would put Bargs as a 6th man (am sure you noticed I didn't put him at PF). I am not sold on keeping him (by any stretch), but off the bench to play next to Chandler and playing as he did this year with ED/Amir, does have possibilities.
    Should the economic climate remain the same, I can see Cuban keeping Chandler and going over the luxury tax to retain him. Chandler isn't coming to Toronto unless he's getting a massive payday - and that goes for every free agent out there.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And also depending on how far the Mavs go. Finals or championship I could see Cuban trying to keep Tyson even more. Cuban has a history of overpaying mediocre C's. Except is Chandler is actually good.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Should the economic climate remain the same, I can see Cuban keeping Chandler and going over the luxury tax to retain him. Chandler isn't coming to Toronto unless he's getting a massive payday - and that goes for every free agent out there.
    Cuban, of course, is the wildcard, but Mango, who do you really want? You switched to a more dissenting note on the C's, as you started out wanting Nene, now you are backing off there, don't want Dalembert (agree with you there), no to Curry (of course I agree here), don't think we will get Chandler, etc.

Pretty much leaves you with the Al Jefferson pickup just so you can watch Tim go crazy, unless of course you are happy sitting with Bargnani in the face of BC saying the Raps need a legitimate big, defensive C. Who else do you see?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    And also depending on how far the Mavs go. Finals or championship I could see Cuban trying to keep Tyson even more. Cuban has a history of overpaying mediocre C's. Except is Chandler is actually good.
    Could always hope Cuban goes for Nene, or pushes for DHoward.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Id probably go for Oden first.

If Portland is willing to pay him $8 mil for a year, im pretty sure they see something really good with his rehab. No way theyre going to put that much money on him if they didnt think he'll be good to go next season. If we can offer $11 mil, a starting spot and unlimited healthcare, Oden might consider it. What have we got to lose? Like you guys keep saying, we're in a rebuilding mode anyways, its not like we are going to contend next season anyways. And its not like there's a whole lot of All-star caliber FAs during the offseason. Might be worth the gamble.

If not, then id take Chandler.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Chandler and was infuriated when jordon nixed the trade, but I have no desire to take him on now. He's getting older and I'm super cautious of signing someone coming off a contract year playing on a great team. Maybe I'm just being anal or overly cautious but that's my feelings on Chandler.

For me the list of centers id throw money at is: Gasol and Deandre. That's it. Otherwise just draft Kanter/Jonas/Biyombo and roll with that.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Id probably go for Oden first.

If Portland is willing to pay him $8 mil for a year, im pretty sure they see something really good with his rehab. No way theyre going to put that much money on him if they didnt think he'll be good to go next season. If we can offer $11 mil, a starting spot and unlimited healthcare, Oden might consider it. What have we got to lose? Like you guys keep saying, we're in a rebuilding mode anyways, its not like we are going to contend next season anyways. And its not like there's a whole lot of All-star caliber FAs during the offseason. Might be worth the gamble.

If not, then id take Chandler.
    They also gave a whole lotta money to Roy with his history of injuries and jury is still out if he'll ever be the same.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information