Colangelo Meets With Media Today 10am EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceez wrote: View Post
    So I'm guessing if we don't luck out on Irving we're trading the pick? Am I the only one getting that feeling lately?
    He did make reference to a couple of players thought of as 4's who could play the 3.

I didn't get much of a feeling of anything besides: no one is untouchable, all avenues will be pursued, the goal is to build a team that can compete in the playoffs for many years versus a team that has a chance to make the playoffs in the near term only to be out again later (MIL, CHA are examples).

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
      yah much better then my weak attempt lol. cant do much at work lol
      It was a valliant effort!

Comment

I'm kind of intrigued as to what trades he had lined up at the deadline
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Especially if they would've put us in the playoffs
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            I'm kind of intrigued as to what trades he had lined up at the deadline
            My assumption was that it was likely the type of deal Cleveland made with the Clippers - dump salary for a 1st round pick... oh, and take a good, older PG who may have the absolute worst contract in the league! A good veteran player to help the team sneak into 8th seed, but what's the point? Or a deal for a rent-a-vet, who either has no desire to stay beyond this season or a player who is likely too old to be considered part of a young rebuilding nucleous of players.

I'm with you though, it would be interesting to know specifics/details about trades that don't go down... but you know that will never happen!
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Apr 18, 2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I wonder if a guy like Granger or Iggy was involved. And what they were asking for in return.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Who heard when BC said he it doesn't matter if he has to get rid of Bargs, even though he drafted him. That is something to be highlighted and double underlined in that conference. Because when it comes down to the nitty gritty he knows its Bargs or its him.
                The worst case scenario they can't obtain a veteran center FA, they need to draft one and since Bargs wants to now play PF, his job was taken by Ed and Amir respectively.So what is he gonna do move to SF and face LBJ, Melo, Iggy on a night in and night out basis. YEAH RIGHT. Bargs is gone end of story. Its either he becomes a PF on a team that needs a scorer or he becomes the next Ajinca on our team.
                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

I thought actually BC did a great job at the press conference. Didn't try to sell anything unrealistic to anyone, gave a pretty frank run down on the team and of his value in being kept on as GM (of which I am completely in favour). When he mentioned, "let's talk about the core," he finished, almost reluctantly, with Bargnani. This made me think he's not sold any longer on Bargnani as being part of that core. Bonus.

I too think that the Raps have some pretty good "assets" to be able to bring in 1 or 2 solid players - via the draft or otherwise - including a legitimate starting C which it now is fairly obvious will be the primary focus in the offseason. The players said they want one. The coach and the GM have now said they need one. Pretty cut and dry to me. Let the Gasol/Kaman/Jordan posts kick into full gear.

BC claiming to like "combo" players who can play a few positions seems to yell out pretty loudly to me that D. Williams will be high on his list of players to get in the draft (particularly in combination with his statement that a lot of the 4's are actually 3's). I'm almost positive he was talking specifically about Williams. I can't see him trading down, unless the Raps end up with the 5th or 6th pick (maybe 4th too). If that happens, I can see Biyombo being exactly the kind of player he'd take, if not in fact being the player he'd take and have in mind when trading down, given the team needs he mentioned. No one else in the mid-late lottery and out really has that upside/potential so common with Colangelo picks.

Also, given what BC said about, "if Washington won the lottery," I think it's pretty much set in stone that the Raps will be taking Irving if they pick first. Not that that's too much of a surprise.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    My assumption was that it was likely the type of deal Cleveland made with the Clippers - dump salary for a 1st round pick... oh, and take a good, older PG who may have the absolute worst contract in the league! A good veteran player to help the team sneak into 8th seed, but what's the point? Or a deal for a rent-a-vet, who either has no desire to stay beyond this season or a player who is likely too old to be considered part of a young rebuilding nucleous of players.
                    Ceez wrote: View Post
                    I wonder if a guy like Granger or Iggy was involved. And what they were asking for in return.
                    I think those are exactly the kinds of trades and players that he was talking about, probably mostly centered around Derozan. To that list I'd add Gerald Wallace. I'm glad he didn't make those trades. I did have my concerns that he was still full-out trying to make a mad-dash for the playoffs.

It's relieving to know he's not just interested in token playoff appearances (for the sake of business and dollars), but is looking to build a team that will one day compete. That is, he's looking to build properly.

Comment

Confused. Without any hesitation, he says the teams first need is a legit 5. His next step is bargnani at the four. Forget Amir, where does this leave Ed? Another year of seasoning? Wouldn't be the worst thing on a team like the spurs but I'm not sure we have that luxury. I guess he didn't want to dis Jose by saying he would love a new point guard

Comment

Maybe he's trying to sell Bargs to whichever teams are listening
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          Confused. Without any hesitation, he says the teams first need is a legit 5. His next step is bargnani at the four.
                          I think this is posturing for the benefit of teams with real C's who need scoring in the frontcourt. He's basically saying "Bargnani was not as effective as he could have been because a) we've been playing him out of position, and b) he doesn't have the right teammates in Toronto." It was necessary for him to do, considering he just finished saying he needs to upgrade the position that Bargnani himself has played the past 2 seasons. Only way to speak frankly without doing damage to his trade value.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                            Confused. Without any hesitation, he says the teams first need is a legit 5. His next step is bargnani at the four. Forget Amir, where does this leave Ed? Another year of seasoning? Wouldn't be the worst thing on a team like the spurs but I'm not sure we have that luxury. I guess he didn't want to dis Jose by saying he would love a new point guard
                            As much as I like Bargnani and would like to see at least one more season of him in a Raps uniform after focussing the offseason on defense/rebounding, I get the impression that BC's comments about Bargnani being a 4 are more for the benefit of the other GMs in the league; specifically, those who are already set at the 5, but may now consider trading for Bargnani as a 4.

OR... BC could be feeding Raptors fans that line, in case Amir gets traded, so he can avoid the blowback from fans claiming that Davis is the only PF on the roster. The only way I see Bargnani staying in Toronto is if Amir gets traded. Assuming BC follows through (if given the opportunity) with his promise to bring in a big defensive-minded 5, there's no way there would be enough minutes for the new guy, Davis, Bargnani and Amir. One of Bargnani & Amir are gone, I am convinced of that. My assumption would be Bargnani, but if BC feels he can get better value in return for Amir, then he could keep Bargnani as the #3 big on the roster, capable of playing the 4 & 5.
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Apr 18, 2011, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Hes right though, pair him with a Dwight Howard, Monroe or Cousins type player and he could put you over the top.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                                It's relieving to know he's not just interested in token playoff appearances (for the sake of business and dollars), but is looking to build a team that will one day compete. That is, he's looking to build properly.
                                I agree totally. It is no secret I am a fan of Colangelo so take this with a grain of salt.

Given his contract status and the fact he probably could have acquired players to sneak in to the 8th seed - or at least take a run at it - speaks volumes to his desire to build a winning team and speaks volumes to his character. He is looking out for the best interests of the franchise even when it is questionable if the 2/3's majority ownership of OTPP is.

Comment

Working...
                                X