Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What young wings should the Raptors Pursue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People forget JJ didn't have any time in training camp with the team. With a better grasp of the plays and schemes he's going to be that much better.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
      I don't think Derrick Williams is the solution on the wing. If we draft him and play him as a starting small forward he is going to suck his first year, if we draft him as a project and let him learn the new position then down the road he could be nice.

James Johnson is finding a role and should come back next season more focused and a little more crisp. Remember he did not play all year till he got to Toronto, he was just starting to get into real game shape.

Xavier Henry I am not sold on, although he has a great frame I don't see him having the length to guard the 3 spot. The nice thing is he may have learned a thing or two from Tony Allen.

Here are a few more names to think about

Arron Afflalo SG unrestricted
      Luc Richard Mbah a Moute SF restricted
      Thaddeus Young Combo Forward restricted
      Mickael Pietrus G/F Unrestricted with a player option
      really? u tihnk he will suck? alot of NBA gm's are saying he might not end up the best player of this draft class but he is the most skilled and strongest at this point and he will most likely be the rookie of the year. sry dont have a source but i read articles on it a few weeks ago.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        When considering a starting lineup, would you look at Smith as a 3 or 4? Is Davis a 4 or 5?

Personally, I think Smith's desired position is SF and would work best there - with or without Bargnani.
        thats the wierd thing about bargnani. i think a trade is what is best but if were able to get a player like josh smith at the SF id be kinda interested to test the waters with bargnani as our PF/c and Davis as our C/PF and Smith as our sf/pf.

alothough if we could get a solid C in the middle then our BIgs are very scary and would have great defense. there are just so many variables with bargnani and trade possibilities.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
          really? u tihnk he will suck? alot of NBA gm's are saying he might not end up the best player of this draft class but he is the most skilled and strongest at this point and he will most likely be the rookie of the year. sry dont have a source but i read articles on it a few weeks ago.
          I should have used the word struggle. He is not a wing player right now, he will need to adjust to a new position that has loads of talent in the East right now. Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Williams-5811/), a solid source, has him listed as a power forward with potential positions as only power forward, other sites have him as a SF or combo. Now I do see some ability for him to play on the perimeter but it will take some time to make that switch full time. That is what I meant, not suck so much as struggle with growing pains.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I never realized Josh Smith is only 25 yrs old. thats exactly the kinda guy we need. if we traded for smith and got gasol..... watch out !

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              There's the kid I love. Tony Allen is one of the toughest dudes in the NBA. He can be a bit of a knucklehead at times, but I'd love to see him in a Raps uniform. He plays tough D, has mad hops, won a championship in Boston..
              +1
              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I would like to get him as well. Maybe the prospect of his $2M guaranteed contract with Gay's contract, Randolph's extension, and possible big pay day for Gasol makes him expendable in the new CBA environment given they have Young and Allen as well.
                I would think though that only $2M would make him more of a keeper in Memphis to balance the $. I would like him but not so sure his contract makes him an out. He might want out after the BS negotiations in the beginning, but not his choice right now.

I don't think Derrick Williams is the solution on the wing. If we draft him and play him as a starting small forward he is going to suck his first year, if we draft him as a project and let him learn the new position then down the road he could be nice.

James Johnson is finding a role and should come back next season more focused and a little more crisp. Remember he did not play all year till he got to Toronto, he was just starting to get into real game shape.

Xavier Henry I am not sold on, although he has a great frame I don't see him having the length to guard the 3 spot. The nice thing is he may have learned a thing or two from Tony Allen.

Here are a few more names to think about

Arron Afflalo SG unrestricted Luc Richard Mbah a Moute SF restricted
                Thaddeus Young Combo Forward restricted
                Mickael Pietrus G/F Unrestricted with a player option
                I am pretty sure Aflallo is restricted. Pietrus is saying he likes it in Phoenix and will exercise his option.
                I like Thaddeus Young and would chase him as well. Philly really wants to keep him though.
                Another restricted FA I would look at is Wilson Chandler as well.

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Josh Smith. There have been rumblings of the Hawks shuffling the deck in the off-season. With him an Ed Davis at the forwards spots suddenly the defense looks far more threatening.
                I would be up for Josh Smith. With how they smacked Orlando though, I think the rumblings (perhaps started here on RR!) will subside a little if they bump the Magic.

ceez wrote: View Post
                People forget JJ didn't have any time in training camp with the team. With a better grasp of the plays and schemes he's going to be that much better.
                Quite possible.

Comment

I should have used the word struggle. He is not a wing player right now, he will need to adjust to a new position that has loads of talent in the East right now. Draftexpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Williams-5811/), a solid source, has him listed as a power forward with potential positions as only power forward, other sites have him as a SF or combo. Now I do see some ability for him to play on the perimeter but it will take some time to make that switch full time. That is what I meant, not suck so much as struggle with growing pains.
                  doesnt every rookie struggle with growing pains?

Comment

grab affron affalo, maybe micheal redd?

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                      grab affron affalo, maybe micheal redd?
                      Redd's not really a wing. He can't play the 3. He's strictly a 2-guard. I wouldn't take the guy on. He's good for a major injury every year.
                      Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Apr 19, 2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Redd's not really a wing. He can't play the 3. He's strictly a 2-guard. I wouldn't take the guy on. He's good a major injury every year.
                        Not to mention he would do nothing to improve our defense.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Redd's not really a wing. He can't play the 3. He's strictly a 2-guard. I wouldn't take the guy on. He's good for a major injury every year.
                          Affalo would be a good pick up though.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                            Affalo would be a good pick up though.
                            Agree

Comment

If we could somehow get Jeff Green that would be sweet. As of right now, I'm fine with having JJ and Kleiza (maybe) as our main sf's if it means more attention is put into finding a tough center.

Comment

I've been high on green for a while but his time in Boston has really soured him on me.

I'm in total agreement on affalo, though. Hard nosed defender who can shoot coming off the bench? Yes please.
                                Last edited by ceez; Wed Apr 20, 2011, 09:39 AM.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X