Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raps and NBA Draft conspiracy

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raps and NBA Draft conspiracy

As Harrison Barnes follows Jared Sullinger back to NCAA (instead of the draft) both were consensus top 5 picks ... WTF!!!

call me Machiavellian if you will but examine the facts...

1995 NBA said Canadian Franchises could Draft no higher than 6(VAN) 7 (TOR)
    Missing out on Rasheed Wallace and Kevin Garnett
    despite the fact that CHARLOTTE got to draft 2nd in 2004

Fast forward...

2005 Raps get first over all pick but it is the first year NBA insisted players not come directly out from high school Diluting the Draft pool of Kevin Durant and Greg Oden among others.

Fast Forward...

2011 an handful of the very best lottery picks are returning to school or wavering because there may not be hoops next year due to labor issues. Barnes was my 2nd favorite pick in this draft to Irving - he is a stellar young kid.... shame.

Draft is looking more and more like crap
    now Draftexpress has 5 international players in top 10. I wouldn't ever bother with the pick at this point if you cant get Irving. TRADE IT or TRADE DOWN and take Kemba...

After suffered through a 20 win season the prize at the end of the tunnel is dimming .. what a RIPOFF!
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some thoughts

• You forgot to mention Perry Jones is not coming out. That sucks.
    • The Raptors won the #1 in 2006. That was considered a weak draft by many but some really nice players came out that year.
    • This year's draft still has some good players. If the Raptors get a top three pick they should end up with a good player even if it's not the position they need a good player at.
    • Colangelo has a far better track record using picks than trading them.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am cool with it, the kids that need to go back to improve their game are going back. For the life of me I don't see how people rate barnes in the top 5. perry jones? I don't see a special talent there, it almost feels as if people are chasing that kevin durant, dirk nowitzki type player when there is none to be had

Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    As Harrison Barnes follows Jared Sullinger back to NCAA (instead of the draft) both were consensus top 5 picks ... WTF!!!

call me Machiavellian if you will but examine the facts...

1995 NBA said Canadian Franchises could Draft no higher than 6(VAN) 7 (TOR)
    Missing out on Rasheed Wallace and Kevin Garnett
    despite the fact that CHARLOTTE got to draft 2nd in 2004

Fast forward...

2005 Raps get first over all pick but it is the first year NBA insisted players not come directly out from high school Diluting the Draft pool of Kevin Durant and Greg Oden among others.

Fast Forward...

2011 an handful of the very best lottery picks are returning to school or wavering because there may not be hoops next year due to labor issues. Barnes was my 2nd favorite pick in this draft to Irving - he is a stellar young kid.... shame.

Draft is looking more and more like crap
    now Draftexpress has 5 international players in top 10. I wouldn't ever bother with the pick at this point if you cant get Irving. TRADE IT or TRADE DOWN and take Kemba...
    After suffered through a 20 win season the prize at the end of the tunnel is dimming .. what a RIPOFF!
    trading down would risk the chance of you not getting kemba too though. i say if the raptors pick rolls around irving and williams are gone we take kemba.

you know it might even be a toos up between williams and kemba.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always thought the exact same thing! Now, we may not wind up at three but given our history we will choose exactly where the talent drops off. Not to revisit the Bargnani pick, but when's the last time you remember a draft when there wasn't a consensus number one (unless there was more than one person qualified to be first overall)? Ewing!!

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but notice you're big on the anti-Raptor conspiracies. SO you think that the NBA conspired to end their CBA the summer after they figured that Toronto would bottom out, causing players to return to school so as not be drafted for a season that may not even happen because of a lockout? If it IS a conspiracy, it was the most complicated and brilliant conspiracy I've ever heard of, with so many variables to figure out that it has to be done by aliens.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

****this just in!******

new evidence points that jorge garbosa was injuried during an alien abduction!!!
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole players returning to the draft is kind of annoying, since I downloaded the ncaa mobile app and watched ever player whose name was being thrown around in draft rumours-on my ipod touch 3.5" screen. Now the rumours are more about european players Kanter/Valanucius who I haven't had a chance to see. Sigh.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Rookie bigmanshaq's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors fan, do not pout !
    Lets say even if we land Irving, chances of him turning our franchise around is slim (even CP3 took a while to put his imprint on the hornets). We will still have our shots at Barnes/ sullinger next yr.
    Rebuilding projects takes longer than one year, OKC drafted KD/ Green (who we should go after), a year later they took Westbrook, and followed that up with drafting of Harden. It took OKC three years before they turned themselves from lottery teams to contenders, and that's under the direction of Presti (who's as good of a GM as any), with the help of 2 superstars (KD/ Westbrook). Essentially, this is a best case scenario.
    A team like Raptors, who are without any top tier or second tier talent at the moment, it might take longer for the team to build itself back into respectability. This rebuilding project will not be over even if we draft Irving, it will take us 3 or more years of losing, and collecting high draft picks before we turn this franchise around, in the mean time, lets be patient and trust BC or the MLSE to do what's best for the team.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, with Harrison Barnes going back to school, The Raps better hope the get the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft and get a chance to take either Irving or Williams. They're probably the only 2 players who could become real good players 2/3 years down the road. Other players like Brandon Knight, Kemba, and/or Kanter might have a shot too. Not sure if Knight or Kanter are coming out either. If you can't get one of these guys, it might be time to look at moving the pick and roster players to upgrade.

I'm surprised Barnes chose to stay. Considering that next year's crop is expected to be much stronger, his stock could fall. I would also assume that the NBA will put in a salary cap restraint on rookie contracts as well. So, Barnes could end up costing himself a ton of money.

What does everyone think of Williams? I think he's going to be a real good NBA player but here's my concern. I haven't seen him play much but I remember reading a piece on him that stated that at 6 ft 8, he has the height of a SF but some scouts weren't sure if he had the speed and quickness to play the 3 at the pro level. Many scouts see him as moving to the 4 and being an undersized PF. Any truth to this assessment or would Williams be fine at the 3?

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's hope that history doesn't repeat itself since the drafting of Andrea Bargnani. It kinda sucks that a weak draft class is losing players due to their intentions of returning to their respective schools (admirable in my opinion, but bad for the Raps).
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This might make people cringe but If we fall out of the top three I would consider going Euro again...the prospect Jan Vesely projects as 6'10 SF who plays with an unrelenting motor...plays D...takes it to the rim...don't believe me check this vid.....

Opinionated blog about current NBA news and our very own Toronto Raptors
    http://cantfightthehustle.wordpress.com

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

also, don't forget that we also won the 1996 draft but weren't eligible for the 1st overall pick.

no offence pureraptors, but highlights and bad music don't prove anything.

watch this video on this awesome point guard. he breaks down the defence, penetrates the lane and is a marksman from downtown

right!

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Pureraptors wrote: View Post
    This might make people cringe but If we fall out of the top three I would consider going Euro again...the prospect Jan Vesely projects as 6'10 SF who plays with an unrelenting motor...plays D...takes it to the rim...don't believe me check this vid.....

future scrub

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jd4 wrote: View Post
    Wow, with Harrison Barnes going back to school, The Raps better hope the get the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft and get a chance to take either Irving or Williams. They're probably the only 2 players who could become real good players 2/3 years down the road. Other players like Brandon Knight, Kemba, and/or Kanter might have a shot too. Not sure if Knight or Kanter are coming out either. If you can't get one of these guys, it might be time to look at moving the pick and roster players to upgrade.

I'm surprised Barnes chose to stay. Considering that next year's crop is expected to be much stronger, his stock could fall. I would also assume that the NBA will put in a salary cap restraint on rookie contracts as well. So, Barnes could end up costing himself a ton of money.

What does everyone think of Williams? I think he's going to be a real good NBA player but here's my concern. I haven't seen him play much but I remember reading a piece on him that stated that at 6 ft 8, he has the height of a SF but some scouts weren't sure if he had the speed and quickness to play the 3 at the pro level. Many scouts see him as moving to the 4 and being an undersized PF. Any truth to this assessment or would Williams be fine at the 3?
    its almost a garuntee that 1. is irving and 2. is Derrick williams at this point. after that its anyones guess. it will all come down to team workouts and what possition we draft in. hopefuly we atleast get the 2nd pick.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Excited about the draft

I actually see one player in the draft who I am really excited about, who I think we have an excellent chance to nab - if we are willing to be brave with our pick and ignore consensus: Bismack Biyombo.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Biyombo-3683/

Ignore his listed 6'8" height - look at his 9'3" standing reach. His incredible wingspan makes him effectively taller than 7 footers. He is apparently a top shot blocker, a top defender with great instincts, an astounding athlete, a good rebounder, and has the motor and passion of a Kevin Garnett.

His offense is very raw (other than dunks and putbacks) ... but we have proven that we can teach offense to big men. He went from ignored on the bench to starting in the Spanish league just because when he was given a chance to play by injury ahead of him he outperformed. I would expect the same here.

I say draft him, resign Reggie Evans (at the right price) to help keep up Bismack's rebounding and motor, and trade Bargnani for scoring at the wing. Then we have a frontcourt of: Bismack, Amir, Ed, Reggie. Sure, it may not look great in 2012, but by 2013 it should be very, very, good.
    Last edited by Kuh; Tue Apr 19th, 2011 at 08:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors were brave with their pick in 2004. They ignored the consenus and selected Rafael Araujo 8th overall.

Some people are questioning the authenticity of the age Biyombo claims to be. He doesn't look anything like an 18 year old kid.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Did i mention Jan Vesely is averaging 10 Pts/3 Rebs,a block and a steal as a 20 year old in the second best league in the world, playing with men instead of boys?

I'm not saying let's blow a top 2 pick on him but if we fall out of the top 2 or 3 he should definitely be looked at since was a a glaring hole at the SF unless people actually believe they can live with the James Johnson/Julian Wright electric combination.
    Last edited by Pureraptors; Tue Apr 19th, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Opinionated blog about current NBA news and our very own Toronto Raptors
    http://cantfightthehustle.wordpress.com

Raptors Republic Rookie big_chris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    • You forgot to mention Perry Jones is not coming out. That sucks.
    • The Raptors won the #1 in 2006. That was considered a weak draft by many but some really nice players came out that year.
    The reason that draft was so weak in the first place is because that was the first year they stopped letting high schoolers into the draft. Just in time for us to pick high. The high schoolers like Bynum chosen the year before could have been in the draft if they had done it sooner.... and we might have been able to select Kevin Durant had they done it a year later.

Post Thanks / Like

The rule change happened before the lottery.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information