Raptors 2011-2012!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors 2011-2012!

Alright so as we all know our team lacks defense... big time! Best solution is to acquire talent through free agency. Raptors have the financial flexibility to sign 1-2 good free agents. I say we sign C. Marc Gasol (restricted FA) and SF. Thaddeus Young (restricted FA).
    Furthermore if we get lucky and land the first pick! The obvious choice would be to draft Irving as a talented pg is a must in today's NBA.

Official line-up 2011-2012

pg - Irving
    sg - Derozan
    sf - Young
    pf - Davis
    C - Gasol

Bench
    sixth man - Andrea (suits his abilities just fine as he is mainly a scorer)
    James Johnson
    Amir Johnson
    Bayless
    jose
    Barbosa (Trade for another big)

I think this gives us a young and talented squad with a bright future. This squad can easily finish 7th - 8th in East in 2011-2012 and higher with more experience under their belt.

What do you guys think? This is not really a pipe dream, it is achievable but will require luck and time.

Raptors wrote: View Post
    Alright so as we all know our team lacks defense... big time! Best solution is to acquire talent through free agency. Raptors have the financial flexibility to sign 1-2 good free agents. I say we sign C. Marc Gasol (restricted FA) and SF. Thaddeus Young (restricted FA).
    Furthermore if we get lucky and land the first pick! The obvious choice would be to draft Irving as a talented pg is a must in today's NBA.

pg - Irving
    sg - Derozan
    sf - Young
    pf - Davis
    C - Gasol

Bench
    James Johnson
    Amir Johnson
    Bayless
    jose

I think this gives us a young and talented squad with a bright future. This squad can easily finish 7th - 8th in East in 2011-2012 and higher with more experience under their belt.

What do you guys think? This is not really a pipe dream, it is achievable but will require luck and time.
    There's a lot of "if's" in there. Gasol and Young are going to command a lot of money. They're not gonna come here on the cheap.
    - And there's no way Andrea is coming off the bench - no way.

Comment

i'd love if this happend, andrea needs to be traded though. Cause we can't bring him off the bench.

Comment

Raptors wrote: View Post

pg - Irving
        sg - Derozan
        sf - Young
        pf - Davis
        C - Gasol

Bench
        James Johnson
        Amir Johnson
        Bayless
        jose

No chance. Gasol will re-sign and Young will likely wind up getting overpaid, preferably not by the Raps. Irving depends on ping-pong balls.

There's really no point talking about the draft until we know what spot the Raps are picking at and which players are actually in the draft.

There's no point talking about free agency until 3 things happen:
        1) the draft is done
        2) we see which players are re-signed by their current team and choose to either exercise options or opt out
        3) the new CBA is in place, which has to happen BEFORE free agency (but after the draft)

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
          i'd love if this happend, andrea needs to be traded though. Cause we can't bring him off the bench.
          Im hoping they trade Bargnani as well. Now that he's come out and said he's a 4, i think if he stayed he will definitely eat into the playing time of Ed. But that could also be a good thing, coz i dont think Ed is ready to start yet, i think he really needs to bulk up and develop that post game. Im happy if he's traded, but wont mind if he stays either.

Comment

Memphis told Zach Randolph straight up when signing him that they were signing Marc Gasol to a long term contract. They have repeatedly stated they will match any sheet for him if it goes beyond the time they take to sign. They hold his bird rights, and can sign him now before the current CBA goes the way of the dodo avoiding taking chances. Toronto cannot even offer until the CBA is settled. I would say take Gasol off the table, he's not coming to dinner.

Comment

Raptors 2011-2012

We need PG, SF and C.

Trade assets Bargnani, Calderon, and A.Johnson.
              Swing deal with Denver and former Raptor Asst. GM.
              Trade Bargnani and Weems or Kleiza for Chandler Wilson and Raymond Felton.
              Bargnani should play well next to Nene while Denver has depth to replace Wilson and Felton (ie Gallinari and Lawson)
              Then trade Calderon and Amir Johnson for Andrew Bynum. Apply sweeteners if required.
              Bynum is gamble with injury woes. However, Raptors would only be on the hook for one year if Bynum experiment does pan out. Bynum is still very young.
              Calderon would be expendable and Amir Johnson is redundant. Lakers get a tough LA guy and Calderon should mesh with Pau.

Raptors still have 1st round pick to further shore up weak areas or include in trade proposals
              Starting 5:
              Felton, PG
              DeRozen, SG
              Wilson, SF
              Davis, Ed, PF
              Bynum, C

Off the bench
              Evans,(re-sign)
              Barbosa,
              Johnson, J
              Bayless
              Magloire (sign as FA need a tough Canadian )

Comment

Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
                We need PG, SF and C.

Trade assets Bargnani, Calderon, and A.Johnson.
                Swing deal with Denver and former Raptor Asst. GM.
                Trade Bargnani and Weems or Kleiza for Chandler Wilson and Raymond Felton.
                Bargnani should play well next to Nene while Denver has depth to replace Wilson and Felton (ie Gallinari and Lawson)
                Then trade Calderon and Amir Johnson for Andrew Bynum. Apply sweeteners if required.
                Bynum is gamble with injury woes. However, Raptors would only be on the hook for one year if Bynum experiment does pan out. Bynum is still very young.
                Calderon would be expendable and Amir Johnson is redundant. Lakers get a tough LA guy and Calderon should mesh with Pau.

Raptors still have 1st round pick to further shore up weak areas or include in trade proposals
                Starting 5:
                Felton, PG
                DeRozen, SG
                Wilson, SF
                Davis, Ed, PF
                Bynum, C

Off the bench
                Evans,(re-sign)
                Barbosa,
                Johnson, J
                Bayless
                Magloire (sign as FA need a tough Canadian )
                First off can't trade Weems, he is a free agent. Same for Wilson Chandler. I have a hard time believing any team will take Kleiza, not that I am sour on him, but his injury is serious, he is out until Jan/Feb and it remains to be seen how he comes back from the surgery - no team will take that on unless they are trying to get rid of some seriously bad contract or a$$hole. I am open to getting Felton though, and hope we can sign Chandler away or at least try.

Bynum - NO WAY the Lakers do that trade. Buss Jr. is in love with Bynum (blocking trades and killing trade rumours instantly), and unless they can get a Bynum for Howard trade this summer, he's not going anywhere. Period.

Comment

jose
                  bayless
                  demar
                  amir
                  davis
                  "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
                    jose
                    bayless
                    demar
                    amir
                    davis
                    Is the smallest lineup in basketball.

Comment

That is a pretty rich payroll..probably about 75-80 mill. (using todays prices) for the 15 man roster. Definitely into lux. tax area . And if there is a hard cap it has probably been over shot.

Comment

This thread falls under the 'magical pony' school of GMing.

PG: Kyrie Irving
                        SG: DeMar DeRozan
                        SF: Starsprinkles, the magical pony
                        PF: Ed Davis
                        C: Marc Gasol

Comment

Wait, I don't see any unicorns on that depth chart. Totally flawed...Excellent point though. Some people are getting carried away with what is actually within the realm of possibility. Teams aren't trading the Raptors gold for tin cans. We also don't know what the new CBA will look like. We do know that a lot of these ideas might now work in the current CBA...

Comment

i dunno.. speculating on getting a restricted free agent who's currently on a playoff team who are looking pretty damn good right now, and have vehemently stated that they're going to do everything possible to retain him... surefire way to be disappointed?

i think so.

Comment

How about this lineup?

PG: Jerryd Bayless
                              SG: Demar DeRozan
                              SF: Josh Smith
                              PF: Ed Davis
                              C: Enes Kanter

Comment

Working...
                              X