Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Ed Davis make Amir Johnson redundant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

j bean wrote: View Post
    You have a number of opinions that I have to disagree with comparing Bargs and Amir.
    With the same amount of shots taken, Amir outscores Bargs. If given the same playing time, Amir almost doubles Bargs in rebounds. On defense who are you going to get the most stops with? Amir can switch and cover a three which is something Bargs isn't able to do [he has a hard time covering anyone with the exception of a center that doesn't finish well ].
    As far as what happened with Amir in Detroit it has no bearing on his true potential. They never saw him as a part of the rotation but he has proven them wrong. Maybe you would prefer Charlie V?
    When comparing their playing time in the league look at the minutes played. Bargs has always been given 30 plus minutes regardless of his play.
    Oh, hold on a second, i wasnt comparing stats between Amir and Bargs. Dont get me wrong, i prefer Amir over Bargs 2000%. What im pointing at was, IMO, Amir already hit his ceiling last season. I dont think he can be more than a 10/8 guy, and i came up with this conclusion because he's already been in the league for 6 years. The same with what people are saying with Bargnani, that we cannot give him another year to improve because he's already been in the league for 5 years and still has no clue how to play defense. Im not saying Bargs is better than Amir, maybe just in scoring, but overall, im all for playing Amir over Bargs.

You dont have to consider his career in Detroit, but its something you cant turn a blind a eye to either. He wasnt part of the rotation, doesnt it make you think why not? Why would they sit a young, athletic big rather than play over an aging big man in C-Webb? or Rasheed or Ben Wallace? I mean they couldve given him at least 10-15mins a game, but if you look at the game logs in his 1-3rd year, he played 10-15mins on games that were decided by 20 or more points.

Amir's game is the product of hardwork, discipline and determination with limited talent. But unfortunately it takes talented players to get teams over the hump. Amir is an excellent sub, no doubt about it.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed Apr 20, 2011, 04:55 PM.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      Tim, the only possible issue I could ever see arising is that neither Ed nor Amir give you that stretch 4 guy to extend the defense and spread the floor. Amir's shot is much better and Ed should be able to develop a solid 15 footer but neither guy is going to have Garnett, Stoudemire, Bosh et al. type range. Now, as long as the Raps have enough shooting on the perimeter this isn't an issue but it does give you less flexibility up front. You could remedy this by having a 4th big to play spot minutes here and there to mix things up, which is likely a good idea.

Defensively, I don't see any issue. Davis and Amir can both defend the pick and roll and bang down low.

I am just fine with both guys coming back.
      I think the notion of having a stretch big is nice, but really not necessary. Especially if you've got other players who can hit from outside. AT the moment the Raptors really don't, but in a year or two I'm guessing that will change. Besides, Amir hits the 15 footer well enough to keep defenses honest, and that's really the main thing.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Davis' old man says that Ed plans to put on like 20lbs of muscle this summer. Davis plays like a typical center, he just lacks mass.

What are the guidelines for determining if a guy is a center anyway? Just wondering because people seem to love to argue the point of if a guy is/isn't a center.
        he can easily play center, once is father whoops his ass into shape he could play center no problem.

Comment

Core:Amir,derozan and Ed
          Should keep them on team:Bayless,JJ,Barbosa
          Trade baits:everybody else

Comment

footarez wrote: View Post
            add kleiza to the keep list. We need a tough guy who can take it to the rack and hit them trey's

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
              he can easily play center, once is father whoops his ass into shape he could play center no problem.
              Haha that's the spirit. He has had a great luxury all his life being the son of a pro. Kobe had that same luxury.

Comment

footarez wrote: View Post
                Is your Core build to win 15 games next season and get a top 3 draft pick ?? Because if this the case, then your starting line up of:

Bayless DD
                Amir Ed JJ

will guarantee that you reach your goal.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                  Is your Core build to win 15 games next season and get a top 3 draft pick ?? Because if this the case, then your starting line up of:

Bayless DD
                  Amir Ed JJ

for all you know they could end up coming back next season amazing players. You can't throw out random insults on our players without proof.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                    for all you know they could end up coming back next season amazing players. You can't throw out random insults on our players without proof.
                    It's an easy thing to say. The team won 22 games this year, and only won that many because of a streak of playing well in November. With or without Bargnani, the team, as it's currently constructed, is not going to win very many games. So if Bargnani is traded and the team only wins 25 games, then Bargnani supporters can say they only won 25 games because they traded Bargnani away.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I think it's because everyone is assuming we will sign a center which will move Andrea to the PF position. If this is the case Amir is the odd man out. Amir or Andrea have to go and that is BC's choice.

Comment

Macc wrote: View Post
                        I think it's because everyone is assuming we will sign a center which will move Andrea to the PF position. If this is the case Amir is the odd man out. Amir or Andrea have to go and that is BC's choice.
                        It is a small sample size but 16 out of 30 think Bargnani is traded and 9 are unsure (myself included).

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...e-or-next-year

Comment

Macc wrote: View Post
                          I think there's been too much water under the bridge to keep Bargnani. The media now feel he should be traded and I think the majority of fans seem to, as well. Even Colangelo has to see the writing on the wall.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            It is a small sample size but 16 out of 30 think Bargnani is traded and 9 are unsure (myself included).

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...e-or-next-year
                            I just voted, so make that 17 out of 31. Or another way of putting it is that only 5 out of 31 think he won't be traded.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

bargnani gone. Next season starting line up predictions:

Bayless/?
                              Demar/Barbosa/maybe Weems
                              JJ/Kleiza
                              ED/Amir
                              Defensive center/Alabi(with the proper training and coaching can be our back up)

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post

Bayless DD
                                Amir Ed JJ

Yes,that is my core.So much better than the core we had last year with bargnani,evans,kleiza,demar and calderon who won how much???Ah,yeah -22.Real nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X