It would be interesting to do some poll, either one player at a time or all together if possible, so RR readers could pick the category they think each of the 10 Raptors under contract fall into (assume Barbosa uses his player option).
It is easy to see why such differing opinions among RR posters, when you see what value each person puts on each player. For instance, here is how I would break down the categories and which players I would personally put in each. It's no wonder we don't see eye-to-eye on some topics!
- good young players with high potential that should be part of the team's core for years to come; virtually untradeable
B) CORE POTENTIAL
- good players, young, manageable salary; could be part of the secondary core for years to come with further development/improvement or could be used as trade bait if the right deal comes along
- A. Johnson
- J. Johnson
C) SHORT TERM
- decent players that you'd be happy to have on the team, but aren't likely to be part of the long-term future of this team; play them or trade them, but they're likely undervalued on the trade market due to skill/age/salary/injuries
D) TRADE BAIT
- their best value to this team is in a trade to bring in draft picks and/or more A/B type players
* Bayless moves to "D" if Irving is drafted