Must do's for 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must do's for 2011-2012

Forget the GM situation for a moment....

What are things the Raps must do to prepare for 2011-2012?

Here is the top of my list:

Trade Calderon.

He will not be here long term. His value may never be higher if he gets injured again (not a big 'if'). If Irving is drafted, start him immediately. If Irving is not drafted, give Bayless his chance. He has one year left on his deal, lets see what he can do over a full season - 18.1ppg and 6.7ast in 14 starts this year. If he excels - awesome, we have our PG. If he fails, there will most likely be another high draft pick next year with a couple of good PG's coming out - Kabongo happening to possibly be one of them.

Get a defensive minded coach.

Comment

WHile I'm not against trading Calderon, should the right deal come along, I really don't see the need to deal him come hell or high water. About the only real negative about him is his contract, and since if you trade him you'll still have to get back a similar contract, I don't really see the point. He's a good teammate who does what's best for the team and has a positive impact whether he plays 15 minutes or 30. His defense obviously isn't good, but it's also not as bad as some seem to think. And, quite frankly, he plays a position that can be covered easier (hence players like Nash, Deron Williams etc). Obviously he's not the long term solution, but if the Raptors do draft a player like Kyrie Irving, I'd much rather have a veteran backup PG who can mentor him than a guy like Bayless. In fact if the Raptors draft Irving, Bayless would be my first (or second) trade.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

-Trade White Swan while getting decent value for him.
        -Trade Calderon, or bring him off of the bench. Under no circumstances start him if we have a healthy prospect (Bayless, Walker, Irving, Knight) on the roster.
        -Address the issue at the 5, mainly by drafting Kanter, Biyombo, or Jonas. Bring in a mediocre, veteran C as a stopgap that can also mentor the draftee.
        -Get a decent SF.
        -Get a better coach.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          WHile I'm not against trading Calderon, should the right deal come along, I really don't see the need to deal him come hell or high water. About the only real negative about him is his contract, and since if you trade him you'll still have to get back a similar contract, I don't really see the point. He's a good teammate who does what's best for the team and has a positive impact whether he plays 15 minutes or 30. His defense obviously isn't good, but it's also not as bad as some seem to think. And, quite frankly, he plays a position that can be covered easier (hence players like Nash, Deron Williams etc). Obviously he's not the long term solution, but if the Raptors do draft a player like Kyrie Irving, I'd much rather have a veteran backup PG who can mentor him than a guy like Bayless. In fact if the Raptors draft Irving, Bayless would be my first (or second) trade.
          I would trade him in any reasonable trade.

His contract is a huge negative, in my opinion. Taking back a contract depends on where he goes. Personally, I would do Calderon for Jonny Flynn/MEM draft pick (save $6M and acquire an asset in the pick as a sweetner in another deal - like Bargnani).

Bayless has shown enough in 14 starts to warrant an opportunity to start full time. By the time the Raps are able to compete for the playoffs again, Calderon will be gone anyways. And if Bayless fails or is not the man for the job, he is an expiring.

Comment

Trade Bargs and soon.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
              Trade Bargs and soon.
              Stop hating, brah.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

His contract is a huge negative, in my opinion. Taking back a contract depends on where he goes. Personally, I would do Calderon for Jonny Flynn/MEM draft pick (save $6M and acquire an asset in the pick as a sweetner in another deal - like Bargnani).

Bayless has shown enough in 14 starts to warrant an opportunity to start full time. By the time the Raps are able to compete for the playoffs again, Calderon will be gone anyways. And if Bayless fails or is not the man for the job, he is an expiring.
                You really think you can get Flynn and draft pick for " Huge Negative" Contract of Calderon !!! Care to elaborate why Wolfs will do something this STUPID ??!!

Now, with all the talk about Rebuilding the right way and going after the right players and ... Do you want to tell us that you honestly think BAYLESS should be our Starting PG for next season ??!! What does qualify him for that position ?

1) Is he Lock down defender ? No, he is not. He is actually an average defender maybe even blow the average.

2) Is he a great passer ? No, he is not for PG position. He is actually a Shoot-First PG.

3) Can he score ? he is streaky but he can do that abit BUT wait a minute, is that enough to give him the starting role ??!! Aren't we moving AB out because he is ONLY a scorer ??!!

Comment

Wtf do people have against shoot-first PGs, seriously?

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                    You really think you can get Flynn and draft pick for " Huge Negative" Contract of Calderon !!! Care to elaborate why Wolfs will do something this STUPID ??!!

Now, with all the talk about Rebuilding the right way and going after the right players and ... Do you want to tell us that you honestly think BAYLESS should be our Starting PG for next season ??!! What does qualify him for that position ?

1) Is he Lock down defender ? No, he is not. He is actually an average defender maybe even blow the average.

2) Is he a great passer ? No, he is not for PG position. He is actually a Shoot-First PG.

3) Can he score ? he is streaky but he can do that abit BUT wait a minute, is that enough to give him the starting role ??!! Aren't we moving AB out because he is ONLY a scorer ??!!

To be fair, the T-Wolves have done some stupid things lol with Kahn at the helm.

Comment

I agree with matt52. He's got to go. I'm not a Jose hater at all just at this point of the rebuild his contract is a bit of an albatross. I wish him all the success in the world, but it's time to move on.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I am not comfortable going forward with only Bayless. Yes, he can score. But nowhere near the creativity of Calderone. Which, on a team with a low skill level, is of great importance going forward. And this is whether or not we get Irving. He would be a great mentor and team player for next year.
                        “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Hell, I'd do Calderon for Flynn and their pick, too, but I really don't see them going for that. Most likely any trade will involve taking back a similar contract. If it doesn't, then it would be the Raptors giving up a draft pick, and I wouldn't be that desperate to get rid of Calderon. That's why I say that he probably has more value to the team than in a trade. Either you get a player back with a similar contract who might not help the team as much, or you're going to have to give up a draft pick or something in order to save money.

As for his contract, look at it this way. He's got two years left on it, and you can think of it as a placeholder for DeRozan and/or Davis' contract. DeRozan will be scheduled for a raise when Calderon's contract is expired.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                            Wtf do people have against shoot-first PGs, seriously?
                            Gotta an hour? If the guy handling the ball the most likes to shoot first, how well do you think the offense is going to run? The best offense is when everyone moves the ball and is unselfish. Shoot first PGs will often ignore open teammates and force shots. That doesn't make for happy teammates. Players don't like playing with shoot first PGs because they don't share the ball well. You ever play with a shoot first PG? It's not fun. And most shoot first PGs have no idea how to run an offense because they're not thinking of getting others involved and how to get them good shots. They're thinking of how to get themselves good shots.

Besides, if you're a basketball player and your first inclination is to shoot, then you're not a PG.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              Gotta an hour? If the guy handling the ball the most likes to shoot first, how well do you think the offense is going to run?
                              Just fine, if the PG scores efficiently.

The best offense is when everyone moves the ball and is unselfish. Shoot first PGs will often ignore open teammates and force shots.
                              Looking for your own shot not doesn't equate to selfishness, or willingness to pass.

That doesn't make for happy teammates. Players don't like playing with shoot first PGs because they don't share the ball well. You ever play with a shoot first PG? It's not fun.
                              It's more likely because they're poor players.

And most shoot first PGs have no idea how to run an offense because they're not thinking of getting others involved and how to get them good shots. They're thinking of how to get themselves good shots.
                              And through looking for their own shot they can create for others and pass to the open man.

And in that same way, a pass-first PG can become too passive.

Besides, if you're a basketball player and your first inclination is to shoot, then you're not a PG.
                              So Billups, Curry, Westbrook, Rose, Harris, Bibby, TJ Ford, Nelson, Arenas, Stuckey, Brooks, Jack and Parker are not, have never been, and will never be PGs? I mean, sure they might not be true PGs, but to say that they're not PGs at all?

There isn't a difference in effectiveness in the styles. PGs need to score now. (This is another argument in which we'll never agree, huh?) Regardless of how they play, a starting PG in most cases these days (and with the way the Raptors are currently constructed) will need to be somewhat scoring minded. Ehh, I want aggressiveness, and dynamic play from my PG, regardless of style. I don't care how they play as long as they are effective.
                              Last edited by WhatWhat; Wed Apr 20, 2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X