Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howard addresses Ric Bucher trade rumours (Dwight to Toronto trade)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orlando down 3-1 and they really shouldn't have won game 2. ORL are screwed as they have 3 more years of Turk and Gilbert.

I'm no longer thinking Howard to TOR is ridiculous anymore - far fetched, yes; ridiculous, no.

I think it would be an easy sell on the benefits of playing with Bargnani, Bayless averaging 18-7 as a starter, Amir as the third big, JJ as a defensive 3, Barbosa coming off the bench, the ability to add another impact wing (Chandler?) and shooters in the short term this summer through free agency. Raptors fans may scoff at this but keep in mind how baaaaad ORL is right now. This is actually an improvement for him. BUT.......

The deal maker would be the ability to sign a top PG (Paul, Williams) to a max deal in the summer of 2012 and still have a 1st round pick to add depth going forward. TOR would be the only team in a position to do this while still having a supporting cast - SAC and CLE would not be able to. As for the big market teams, NJ would have no supporting cast and, as shown already, the Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, and Bulls would not have much to offer to entice ORL.

As an aside, the ATL-ORL game tonight was awful to watch. It was some bad basketball all around from both teams.

They say I'm a dreamer....
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Apr 24, 2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I went for an awesome hike today and had some time to think.
      I need to find the place where you take hikes.

Comment

I've been messing around with espn trade machine for a while and for the life of me I can never use a TPE!!! I try to click on it like i do w/ a player and nothing happens Is there something i'm missing?
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
          I've been messing around with espn trade machine for a while and for the life of me I can never use a TPE!!! I try to click on it like i do w/ a player and nothing happens Is there something i'm missing?
          When you click on the player to be traded (saw Redick to Toronto), when Redick is on top on the TOronto side, click the little black box 'Trade Exemption' under his name and next to his position.

Comment

Frank in :
            Hi Ho, 1)If the Lakers offered Gasol plus stuff to ORL for D12,who says no? 2)If NJ offers LOPEZ& multiple #1/s as part of a trade for D12. who says "no". 3) And If ORL had to take one of the deals which would it be?
            J

ason Fleming:
            Orlando has absolutely zero interest in trading Dwight Howard. Why would they? If you have the best center in the NBA, you don't stay on the line when someone inquires, because they can't offer enough. Gasol and draft picks or spare parts won't do it.

Brook Lopez and multiple #1s won't do it either. The Magic are completely built around the skill set of Howard, and Lopez has almost none of the same skill set. Take Howard out of the Magic and not only does he have to be replaced, but they have to completely re-do the entire roster, which as it stands now is in cap hell because of the bloated contracts of Hedo Turkoglu and Gilbert Arenas.

Trading Howard would send the Magic straight to the top of the lottery until those deals expire.

IF Orlando had no choice but to make one of those trades, it would have to be the NJ on I guess. If I were Orlando I'd demand at least three #1s, Lopez, Damion James, and maybe Jordan Farmar. That's a fair deal for the best big man and best defensive player in the league. Or, as good as it may get.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?C...#ixzz1Kdf9aB2r
            I can think of a better trade for ORL. lol

Comment

I...actually think this could work. I think we would have to find a way to take either Arenas or Hedo for the deal to look good enough to the Magic, but I think we may be the best place for Howard to land. I'm not sure what we could do to make that deal happen since we would have to trade pretty much our entire team to make the salaries work if we took back Arenas, but if we get a shot at Dwight and he agrees to sign here long term, I think BC should sell the farm to make it happen, especially if he can keep Bargs here too.
              Thanks for putting so much effort into this Matt52.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                I...actually think this could work. I think we would have to find a way to take either Arenas or Hedo for the deal to look good enough to the Magic, but I think we may be the best place for Howard to land. I'm not sure what we could do to make that deal happen since we would have to trade pretty much our entire team to make the salaries work if we took back Arenas, but if we get a shot at Dwight and he agrees to sign here long term, I think BC should sell the farm to make it happen, especially if he can keep Bargs here too.
                Thanks for putting so much effort into this Matt52.
                Under current CBA rules, I don't think there is any way TOR could put together an offer for Dwight and Arenas. I just don't see Turk back in Toronto. The trump card Toronto MIGHT have in getting Howard MIGHT be the POSSIBILITY of having a supporting cast along with him and a top PG. I cannot think of any team who are in the position to offer Dwight and ORL beneficial offers for everyone involved. The only possibility MIGHT be Washington in terms of supporting cast but I think TOR could offer a better overall package of prospects and more financial relief.

Comment

Under current CBA rules, I don't think there is any way TOR could put together an offer for Dwight and Arenas. I just don't see Turk back in Toronto. The trump card Toronto MIGHT have in getting Howard MIGHT be the POSSIBILITY of having a supporting cast along with him and a top PG. I cannot think of any team who are in the position to offer Dwight and ORL beneficial offers for everyone involved. The only possibility MIGHT be Washington in terms of supporting cast but I think TOR could offer a better overall package of prospects and more financial relief.
                  Wouldn't say best overall. Lakers could do Bynum for Howard. I doubt Buss Jr does it but if Orlando thinks they lose Dwight, then they do a swap. Works in the trade machine. Bynum is 2yrs younger but injury prone. If he can get past the injuries he has dominated Dwight on many occasions.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                    Wouldn't say best overall. Lakers could do Bynum for Howard. I doubt Buss Jr does it but if Orlando thinks they lose Dwight, then they do a swap. Works in the trade machine. Bynum is 2yrs younger but injury prone. If he can get past the injuries he has dominated Dwight on many occasions.
                    I mentioned LAL back in the post going through all teams. If ORL can't compete with Howard, they have no chance with Bynum - in fact they would be far worse off. LAL also does not have any other young prospects to offer, any way to offer financial relief, nor any lottery draft picks. That is all my opinion pf course, maybe ORL sees it differently.

Comment

Another thing to consider that would make howard want to go to toronto is getting on a Big market team like toronto before the new CBA is made. If he was in toronto he would be in a good market with the new hard cap. if he ended up on a small market team and "franchise tags" were created dwight could loose signifigant money and be stuck there for sometime. also, unlike Bosh, howard is such a charector and has a personality. he would be the ghiest calibre athlete in canada and would fricken be god-like in this country lol.

Comment

So now that the magic are out do we get obsessed with getting dee white? I'm not sure how you can acquire the best centre in the league and the best defensive player and not be totally stoked but I've just gotten used to the idea that we aren't swinging for the fences but are doing a proper rebuild.

I know that this is still purely fantasy, but secretly I'm scared that if we did manage to land dwight it would be at the cost of our WHOLE roster. I really do not want to give up Demar Davis or Amir... I know that sounds dumb, because if it were amir for dwight straight up i'd be an idiot not to, but when you throw in a bunch of draft picks you end up in a situation where it's hard to make your team any better. I'm smart enough to know that if you can make a pitch for howard you go ahead with it but at the same time i'm really torn if it involves amir (or davis or demar) but maybe i'm just an amir fan boy
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Azzy (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)

Hey Ric, I heard that Dwight Howard confronted you about those rumors that he's maybe heading to LA, is it true?

Ric Bucher (1:09 PM)

"Confront" is a little strong, but yes, he asked me as soon as I walked into the lockerroom where he was going. Half playful, half-why-are-you-stirring-this-up-and-making-me-deal-with-it. And I completely understand his frustration. Hard to have a completely frank, honest conversation in the middle of a lockerroom with teammates and other reporters looking on with keen interest. All I can tell you is this: I wouldn't have broached the subject if I hadn't been told under no uncertain terms, by someone who should know, that Dwight will opt out of his last year in Orlando and by GMs that they already know, based on their conversations, that Otis knows he's going to have to do something.

Ric Bucher (1:11 PM)

Now, I will take Otis at his word that he's not going to trade Dwight. That's actually the safe way to go. Now if Dwight leaves, the heat is all on Howard for deserting Orlando and the Magic can say, "Hey, we went to the wall trying to keep him." And they do get off a ton of money. But I don't know if that's the smartest way to go.

Josh (Chicago, IL)

What do the Magic need to get back to The Finals? It seems like they're more than just a backup center away.

Ric Bucher (1:13 PM)

They need Deron Williams, i.e., a PG who can also be a go-to guy. I love Jameer and what he's made of himself, but his size is simply a limitation as a go-to guy. It's why I don't see CP3 as a great fit, either. If you don't get a PG who is also a closer, then you're looking at trying to add two pieces. I'd go for one. And to answer the next question, no, I just don't see Deron going to Orlando.
                          Brian (Chicago)

I've read speculation about the Bulls pursuing Dwight Howard and offering Noah. Would that be smart? Dwight is a better individual player than Noah, but Noah's fierceness sparks the Bulls.

Ric Bucher (1:39 PM)

Bulls would deal Noah for Dwight, but it's not happening. Dwight wants to be Da Man, and Rose owns Chicago.
                          While it is far-fetched, I strongly believe another solid draft pick in June gives the Raptors one of the best opportunities to make a play for Howard. If he truly wants to be Da Man, wants a large market, and wants to team up with a top PG like Deron Williams, Toronto might be his best opportunity. He would be a god here - and he'd have a whole country behind him. The only way he ends up in NJ is by free agency or strong arm tactics by Howard and his people to send him there with the argument you can get a draft pick and Lopez or you get nothing. NJ gave away all assets minus Lopez to land Williams.

Comment

While it is far-fetched, I strongly believe another solid draft pick in June gives the Raptors one of the best opportunities to make a play for Howard. If he truly wants to be Da Man, wants a large market, and wants to team up with a top PG like Deron Williams, Toronto might be his best opportunity. He would be a god here - and he'd have a whole country behind him. The only way he ends up in NJ is by free agency or strong arm tactics by Howard and his people to send him there with the argument you can get a draft pick and Lopez or you get nothing. NJ gave away all assets minus Lopez to land Williams.
                            Far-fetched for sure, but if we want to be honest, the only way Toronto can get Howard from Orlando without gutting the entire roster is for BC to pull one of his famed WTF-was-that deals. While a dream lineup would certainly be a Howard, Davis front court, with Derozan and, say, Kyrie Irving backcourt and who cares on the wing fill in a few names (including JJ and Kleiza for sure) that's a killer team. However, there is no way we get him for Bargnani and next year's pick. To get another pick via trade without using Bargnani would be unlikely, (at least one within the top 20). Unless we buy one (or two).

Comment

Can't get it off my mind tonight.

Trying to find a way to get Orlando under the current (soon to be old) salary cap of $58M. This is what I came up with:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3cphc9s

TOR: Howard, Redick, Hayward
                              ORL: Felton, DeRozan, Davis, Flynn, Raps 2011/2013 1st round picks
                              MIN: Calderon
                              DEN: Nelson, Bass, Ellington, Alabi

Rationale:

TOR: Howard and Redick are solid defenders. Howard and Bargnani are like Twins (Arnold and DeVito).

ORL: better PG in Felton, 20ppg prospect in DD, double/double in ED, promising PG in Flynn to back up and possibly start when Felton expires, lottery pick to possibly draft ?Kanter?, saves $20M and gets ORL under current (soon to be old) salary cap of $58M by $4M i.e. payroll of $54M next year.

MIN: Calderon - veteran leadership and Babcock, Martin, Rubio connections.

DEN: veteran PG to back up Lawson, PF as they have only Harrington next year, back up SG, roster filler/project in Alab. Leaves DEN with 13 roster spots filled and a boat load of money to hit the FA market to re-sign Afflalo and one more .

Raps have $53.8M committed to salary. $4M to JR Smith, $2M to Barea, $3M to Evans, minimum Foster/Ajinca/Cook/Jones to Imagining hardcap of $68M, Raptors lineup with total payroll of around $66M:

PG: Bayless, J.J. Barea
                              SG: Redick, Barbosa, Cook
                              SF: J. Johnson, JR Smith, Jones, Kleiza
                              PF: Bargnani, Amir, Evans
                              C: Howard, Foster, Ajinca

Now here is the real kicker: with this lineup the Raps would then have Bayless and Barbosa ($10.6M) coming off the books for summer 2012. Do you know who is free agents in 2012? Nash, Paul, Williams.

Now that is a dream. And I really am done now.
                              The more I look at and think about this one, I do agree with your rationale as to why each team would do this. Wow would that be a small set at the PG position! I am not sold on Reddick as a starting 2, but I would bet JR Smith would be more likely there. As a stop-gap maybe, but then I guess we could always draft a SG next year.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                                The more I look at and think about this one, I do agree with your rationale as to why each team would do this. Wow would that be a small set at the PG position! I am not sold on Reddick as a starting 2, but I would bet JR Smith would be more likely there. As a stop-gap maybe, but then I guess we could always draft a SG next year.
                                It would take two years for it to all come together:
                                Now here is the real kicker: with this lineup the Raps would then have Bayless and Barbosa ($10.6M) coming off the books for summer 2012. Do you know who is free agents in 2012? Nash, Paul, Williams.
                                2011-2012 would definitely struggle at PG but the team would still be better than this year, in my opinion.

2012-2013 lineup skeleton:

PG: Deron Williams, J.J. Barea
                                SG: Redick, Cook
                                SF: JJ, JR Smith, Kleiza
                                PF: Bargnani, Amir, Evans
                                C: Howard

A back up big and another SG (via draft a good possibility) and the team is set.

Keep in mind winning lottery tickets have more likelyhood of happening than any of this. Just too much time thinking on a hike one day. There is not much else to think about Raptors related until the draft lottery positioning is held.

Comment

Working...
                                X