Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer 2011: What our beloved Raptors should do. Concretely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only scenario in which I see Bargnani suiting up with the Raptors next season is if we miss out on a C in the draft and in free agency. There not going to have Bargnani coming off the bench and there not going to move him to PF if we already have Davis and Amir there. The way I see it going is this; Assuming we get #1 pick and draft Kyrie Irving we would then trade either Bayless or Jose in a package perhaps with Bargnani for something that included a C. Otherwise we draft a C and then move Bargnani either way. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how we keep Bargnani.

Comment

LeetGoose wrote: View Post
      The only scenario in which I see Bargnani suiting up with the Raptors next season is if we miss out on a C in the draft and in free agency. There not going to have Bargnani coming off the bench and there not going to move him to PF if we already have Davis and Amir there. The way I see it going is this; Assuming we get #1 pick and draft Kyrie Irving we would then trade either Bayless or Jose in a package perhaps with Bargnani for something that included a C. Otherwise we draft a C and then move Bargnani either way. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how we keep Bargnani.
      There is no C worth drafting this year. It's free agency or bust. That's why Marc Gasol is at the top of my list of moves to make. Then one either moves AB to starting SF, or trades him for a starting C or SF. Amir & Ed are the other 2 in the rotation up front for years to come. AB's NOT going to be a sub here during that time, especially if BC is still in charge.

Comment

Boko wrote: View Post
        I just checked Arron's current stats ... regular season 3pt% = 42.3 ... playoffs 25% ... no thanks!

Jason's look more promising ... 27.5 MPG, 0.8 BPG, 7.3 RPG, & 10.8 PPG. He's an intriguing big man. But we don't need a sub C/PF. That's where Ed will play next season.
        wth is wrong with you? just cause he shot 25% in the playoffs(he barley played cause of injury) doesn't make him a bad 3 pt shooter. Stop hating on affalo

Comment

There is no C worth drafting this year. It's free agency or bust. That's why Marc Gasol is at the top of my list of moves to make. Then one either moves AB to starting SF, or trades him for a starting C or SF. Amir & Ed are the other 2 in the rotation up front for years to come. AB's NOT going to be a sub here during that time, especially if BC is still in charge.
          While you're obviously not high on Kanter, Jonas and Biyombo, a lot of people are. And a lot of people are projecting the Raptors draft one of them. Personally, I really like what I've seen and heard of Kanter and would love to see him in a Raptor's uniform next season.

As for Bargnani, like Turkoglu last year, I think too much has happened with Bargnani and he's lost the faith of the organization. I would be surprised if he's back next season. Even if the Raptors don't get a center.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            While you're obviously not high on Kanter, Jonas and Biyombo, a lot of people are. And a lot of people are projecting the Raptors draft one of them. Personally, I really like what I've seen and heard of Kanter and would love to see him in a Raptor's uniform next season.

As for Bargnani, like Turkoglu last year, I think too much has happened with Bargnani and he's lost the faith of the organization. I would be surprised if he's back next season. Even if the Raptors don't get a center.
            Are any of Kanter, Jonas and Biyombo going to be in the rotation up front next season? Better than Bargnani at C? Better than Davis at C/PF sub? If not, then what's the point of getting any one of them? I'd rather take my chances on getting Marc Gasol. There's no doubt that he'd be part of the rotation, and an improvement. This team just doesn't need another young project to nurture. It's got too many of those already, in my opinion.

Comment

Are any of Kanter, Jonas and Biyombo going to be in the rotation up front next season? Better than Bargnani at C? Better than Davis at C/PF sub? If not, then what's the point of getting any one of them? I'd rather take my chances on getting Marc Gasol. There's no doubt that he'd be part of the rotation, and an improvement. This team just doesn't need another young project to nurture. It's got too many of those already, in my opinion.
              I don't think it's important whether any of those players will be better than Bargnani next season (although I think Kanter has a chance, but that's beside the point). Does it matter? The aim is not to immediately improve the center position, but to find a better long term solution at center. It would be nice if the Raptors could get Marc Gasol, but the chances of that happening are slim to none, and there's really no other center out there the Raptors should really be going after.

As for your opinion that the Raptors don't need another young prospect, I can't disagree with you more on that. While the Raptors have lots of young players, they don't have a lot of young players with high ceilings. THAT they need more of. And I see a guy like Kanter as being exactly that type of player.

What I absolutely do not want to see is for the Raptors to start grabbing veterans in order to try and make them competitive. That would be detrimental to the long term goal of building a true contender. While I think the Oklahoma model is overhyped, I do think they have done some great things, and the main one was being patient with their young players and building through youth. Then, when it was time to take the next step, they acquired a veteran. Now they have a 10-15 year window.

Like it or not, this team is probably not making the playoffs next season (barring something unexpected happening), so drafting someone like Kanter would give the Raptors a chance at having a good, young center prospect that will grow with guys like DeRozan and Davis.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

The Grizzlies are on the rise. They're not letting him go. They've said it publicly.

Comment

I don't think it's important whether any of those players will be better than Bargnani next season (although I think Kanter has a chance, but that's beside the point). Does it matter? The aim is not to immediately improve the center position, but to find a better long term solution at center. It would be nice if the Raptors could get Marc Gasol, but the chances of that happening are slim to none, and there's really no other center out there the Raptors should really be going after.

As for your opinion that the Raptors don't need another young prospect, I can't disagree with you more on that. While the Raptors have lots of young players, they don't have a lot of young players with high ceilings. THAT they need more of. And I see a guy like Kanter as being exactly that type of player.

What I absolutely do not want to see is for the Raptors to start grabbing veterans in order to try and make them competitive. That would be detrimental to the long term goal of building a true contender. While I think the Oklahoma model is overhyped, I do think they have done some great things, and the main one was being patient with their young players and building through youth. Then, when it was time to take the next step, they acquired a veteran. Now they have a 10-15 year window.

Like it or not, this team is probably not making the playoffs next season (barring something unexpected happening), so drafting someone like Kanter would give the Raptors a chance at having a good, young center prospect that will grow with guys like DeRozan and Davis.
                  Couldn't agree with this more. People seem to forget that OkC picked in the top-4 three years in a row. That's how they have the Durant, Westbrook and, to a lesser extent, Harden core to build around. While I like DeRozen and Davis, the young talent on the Raptors is hardly core-worthy (so far) on a good future contender. The only thing that would happen should the Raptors start loading up on veterans (not that I think M.Gasol is a realistic possibility for the Raps) is a bunch of better albeit mediocre seasons that land us in the late lottery or mid-first round each off-season. Without any real upside, that's where we would stay until our top players get tired of not contending and restart the process by leaving.

Though we don't know what the CBA will look like, it's pretty certain that it won't give teams even higher caps to overspend on players with. If you take that into consideration, it becomes even more important to establish your young core quickly and at roughly the same time. When those young players come off their rookie scale contracts, their hefty raises will make it nigh impossible to attract any top free agents to complement the core.

I don't necessarily believe in Valanciunas or Biyombo (will have to see them in workouts), but even if Kanter isn't immediately better at C, he should be better defensively at that position over the long-run. Don't forget, it's not like drafting Kanter means dropping Bargnani outright. He can be traded for someone else that better suits the team.

And again, keep dreaming if you (Boko) think we actually have a chance to take on M. Gasol.
                  Last edited by Quixotic; Tue May 10, 2011, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I don't understand why Gasol's name keeps coming up. We are not in the running for him. You cannot combine our number under the cap with our mid-level exception. Marc will make around 10 mill next year. That's way out of our price range.

Kanter sees himself a PF... resolving the middle will be a the toughest problem for management to resolve. They need to get lucky, buy a 2nd round pick no one has heard of, revive a young vet's career (hence all the Oden talk), trade Solo for a "project" whose further along. Trade Bargs,etc.,

The other option is to start 2 PFs -- Ed and Amir and hope they develop a defensive chemistry that allows them to compensate for their lack of girth. If you use a half-court trap, a la the Seattle Supersonics, you can make it work. What you lose in size on one end you get back in speed and skill on the other, but I haven't seen a team pull it off since the Sonics and the Davis's in India back in the 90's...

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      I don't understand why Gasol's name keeps coming up. We are not in the running for him. You cannot combine our number under the cap with our mid-level exception. Marc will make around 10 mill next year. That's way out of our price range.

Kanter sees himself a PF... resolving the middle will be a the toughest problem for management to resolve. They need to get lucky, buy a 2nd round pick no one has heard of, revive a young vet's career (hence all the Oden talk), trade Solo for a "project" whose further along. Trade Bargs,etc.,

The other option is to start 2 PFs -- Ed and Amir and hope they develop a defensive chemistry that allows them to compensate for their lack of girth. If you use a half-court trap, a la the Seattle Supersonics, you can make it work. What you lose in size on one end you get back in speed and skill on the other, but I haven't seen a team pull it off since the Sonics and the Davis's in India back in the 90's...
                      Check my reply to the video posted. I interpreted this quote differently than you.

Comment

Yeah, just read it. I was about to edit what I wrote earlier. You're probably right. How Kanter responds during his interview to that question will probably decide if they grab him. If its more about being a multi-skilled player then being just a PF you have to draft him I think.

Comment

Yeah, just read it. I was about to edit what I wrote earlier. You're probably right. How Kanter responds during his interview to that question will probably decide if they grab him. If its more about being a multi-skilled player then being just a PF you have to draft him I think.
                          What Kanter sees himself is beside the point. It's what he can do that is important. Kanter should be more than able to defend the pivot and that's all that matters.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

What Kanter sees himself is beside the point. It's what he can do that is important. Kanter should be more than able to defend the pivot and that's all that matters.
                            True, but we have a history of drafting players (okay a player) who can potentially play the middle but sees himself as a pf and therefore does not put any effort on the defensive side of the court. No one wants to make that sort of mistake again.

Comment

True, but we have a history of drafting players (okay a player) who can potentially play the middle but sees himself as a pf and therefore does not put any effort on the defensive side of the court. No one wants to make that sort of mistake again.
                              Truly. That's why work ethic should be a big factor when we consider prospects. They need to have the hunger to be special, and I don't mean just on one end of the court.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                                Truly. That's why work ethic should be a big factor when we consider prospects. They need to have the hunger to be special, and I don't mean just on one end of the court.
                                Making the interview and background checks extremely important for a player who no one has seen play for a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X