Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer 2011: What our beloved Raptors should do. Concretely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Raymond Felton... Kyrie Irving... Marc Gasol... Wilson & Tyson Chandler... Jeff Green... Rick Adelman... etc, etc, etc...
    Those names are on all the discussions on this forum. Seriously. Do you really think that any of those will sign with the Raptors this summer?

What do you think the Raptors should or could do/try to do this summer, concretely?
    I think it's pointless to even consider this until the board sorts out who the GM is going to be after June 30.

Comment

if the raptors want to become better. Derozan needs to come back with 20ppg and bayless needs to be D rose/Westbrook and throw down some monster jams and dish out 6/7 apg.

Comment

Either Dwight Howard or Mark Gasol or Boris Diaw or Spencer Hawes or Tyson Chandler, in that order.
        Either J. R. Smith or Thaddeus Young or Wilson Chandler or Jeff Green or Danilo Gallinari or Derrick Williams, in that order.
        Either Chris Paul or Deron Williams or Ray Felton or Kyrie Irving, in that order.
        All the others mentioned so far are just not good enough.

Comment

Boko wrote: View Post
          Either Dwight Howard or Mark Gasol or Boris Diaw or Spencer Hawes or Tyson Chandler, in that order.
          Either J. R. Smith or Thaddeus Young or Wilson Chandler or Jeff Green or Danilo Gallinari or Derrick Williams, in that order.
          Either Chris Paul or Deron Williams or Ray Felton or Kyrie Irving, in that order.
          All the others mentioned so far are just not good enough.

Comment

I don't get it ... we should go after Boris Diaw before we go after Tyson Chandler? Or even Spencer Hawes? Really? They don't even play the same position. I like all listed except Diaw. That's sort of a game of 'One of these doesn't belong with the Others.' haha

Again, not sure J.R. Smith fits into the scheme with which you have layed out with the rest of the players. All except Smith are capable of playing the SF. So if you didn't put him in there, then I would fully agree. But I don't see how you can put a score first SG who is most effective off the bench, ahead of a few Very Good SF prospects, who would come in and start right off the bat.

boko wrote:
            The only way we go after Kyrie Irving is through the Draft. So that will probably be first. If we get the #1 overall I doubt we'll spend much time thinking about the PG spot. Other than where to trade Jose. New Jersey wouldn't think about trading Deron Williams.
            Felton might be available, but again, if we can get Irving, you can bet we don't bother looking at anyone else.

Overall, all the players you've listed would ultimately up the talent level of the team, but a few might not fit into what we've got going. But then again, on a 22 win team, who's to say we've got anything going.
            Last edited by Joey; Mon May 2, 2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Joey, I was just reacting to all the players that have been mentioned in this very thread so far. My lists are 1) C/PF, 2) SF/SG, & 3)PG because we have a maximum of three spots on our team rotation that can and should be effectively filled. I wasn't sweating the details. I was just trying to shorten the road to some conclusions. We needn't waste time on all the others, since they couldn't make our rotation, such that it is. I was really just answering my own question ... "Who is really worthy of consideration at this point?" I just hope that the debates can go on from there ...

Comment

AND we can add Nenê to the first list, 2nd from the top, if he opts out ...

Comment

Joey, I was just reacting to all the players that have been mentioned in this very thread so far. My lists are 1) C/PF, 2) SF/SG, & 3)PG because we have a maximum of three spots on our team rotation that can and should be effectively filled. I wasn't sweating the details. I was just trying to shorten the road to some conclusions. We needn't waste time on all the others, since they couldn't make our rotation, such that it is. I was really just answering my own question ... "Who is really worthy of consideration at this point?" I just hope that the debates can go on from there ...
                  I agree just scratch the PF position since we have Amir,Davis and(hopefully not next season) Bargnani.We are ok at the PF position.I would also consider giving Bayless and/or Calderon a chance as well next season.But that is just me.I lvoe the way Amir and Bayless play the game so I often overvalue them over the rest of our team or even the free agency/trade options.And definitely add Nene.

Comment

footarez wrote: View Post
                    I agree just scratch the PF position since we have Amir,Davis and(hopefully not next season) Bargnani.We are ok at the PF position.I would also consider giving Bayless and/or Calderon a chance as well next season.But that is just me.I lvoe the way Amir and Bayless play the game so I often overvalue them over the rest of our team or even the free agency/trade options.And definitely add Nene.
                    I agree about Amir/Ed ... and Jerryd ... but I'd add DeMar/James ... and still have cognitive dissonance about José ... I love his pass-first mentality ... but he's near the end of his peak ... and I have to pray that surrounding him with the right other 7 in the rotation will elevate his game back to an optimal level.

Comment

This conversation is being moved from another thread ...

So far, I'm convinced the following is what is probable & do-able ...

1) Extend Bryan Colangelo.
                      2) Extend Jay Triano.
                      3) MOVE ANDREA BARGNANI to #1 Swing Forward.
                      4) Trade the $9M Traded Player Exception for best offer, period.
                      (It can be an extra draft pick next year.)
                      5) (Trade down to #10? to ...) DRAFT JIMMER FREDETTE (#11), for his 3-point shooting.
                      6) SIGN Restricted Free Agent MARC GASOL (7.5-15.5M/yr over 4 yrs) for his
                      shot-blocking, rebounding & in-out passing.
                      7) Sign Free Agent Joey Dorsey as an injury sub.
                      8) Sign Free Agent Reggie Evans as a player-coach.
                      9) Sign Free Agent Point/Swing Guard ________? as a list player.

Rotation=
                      CALDERON, BAYLESS, Fredette & ________?
                      BARGNANI, DEROZAN, BARBOSA, J. JOHNSON & KLEIZA.
                      M. Gasol, A. JOHNSON, DAVIS, DORSEY, EVANS & SOLOMAN.

What do you think?

Comment

2) Extend Jay Triano.
                        5) (Trade down to #10? to ...) DRAFT JIMMER FREDETTE (#11), for his 3-point shooting.

Rotation=

What do you think?
                        No.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

2) Extend Jay Triano.

Rotation=

What do you think?
                          Marc gasol is a maybe. Arron afallo will address our 3pt shooting. Jason thompson could be a decent back up C for gasol(if we get him). And the lottery is on the 17th and we could end up with 2nd or 1st.

Comment

Arron Afflalo? Jason Thompson?

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                            Marc gasol is a maybe. Arron afallo will address our 3pt shooting. Jason thompson could be a decent back up C for gasol(if we get him). And the lottery is on the 17th and we could end up with 2nd or 1st.
                            I just checked Arron's current stats ... regular season 3pt% = 42.3 ... playoffs 25% ... no thanks!

Jason's look more promising ... 27.5 MPG, 0.8 BPG, 7.3 RPG, & 10.8 PPG. He's an intriguing big man. But we don't need a sub C/PF. That's where Ed will play next season.

Comment

Keep in mind affalo barely played in the playoffs due to injury
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I just checked Arron's current stats ... regular season 3pt% = 42.3 ... playoffs 25% ... no thanks!

Jason's look more promising ... 27.5 MPG, 0.8 BPG, 7.3 RPG, & 10.8 PPG. He's an intriguing big man. But we don't need a sub C/PF. That's where Ed will play next season.
                                One minute of research on Google would have found you this:

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Denver Nuggets will be without starting guard Arron Afflalo for Game 1 of their playoff series against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday night.

Afflalo has missed 13 games since early March because of a strained left hamstring. He has tried to come back and play three separate times, most recently aggravating the injury against Golden State last week.

"I've been through the situation before where I can get to a week to 10-day period where my body feels good, as if I can play, and then I get on the court and it's not the case," Afflalo said.
                                Source: ESPN.com

Battling a leg injury affects your shot from anywhere, especially long range where you really need to get your legs into it.

Comment

Working...
                                X