Andrew Bynum and Soloman Alabi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Bynum and Soloman Alabi

Andrew Bynum was drafted as a project and not an immediate impact player, now he is one of the top centers in the league. In his first season he saw limited floor time with only 7.3 mpg. Last year we received Soloman Alabi from the mavs for cash, and he barely saw any floor time. Are the raptors organization trying to replicate what L.A did with Bynum and increase his minutes over the next few seasons and turn him in to a solid center? I would be happy if we get a serviceable backup out of him.

I still believe in Alabi. Everything I've ever heard and read about the guy says he is a really hard worker and that he wants to get better. I hope he works his ass off this summer and comes back next year ready to play regular minutes in the NBA.
    I don't think he'll ever be a great center but there is still back up potential there. Also, Bynum was highly touted and went tenth overall where Alabi was at best rated in the early 20's pick before the hep B thing killed his stock so the comparison is a little off, but I see what you mean.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I'm not nearly as down on Alabi as the rest of the board seems to be, and think he still has potential as a defensive center. I don't think he'll ever be a starter on the team, but certainly could be a decent backup. This offseason is huge for him.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

The difference is Bynum was 17 when drafted straight out of high school and 23 today.

Alabi was 22 when drafted with 3 years of NCAA experience and is also 23 today.

Comment

I understand he also started playing ball at 15. That is rather old and many of the instincts like ball handling, shooting etc are rather late developing. The few times I have seen him he just seems lost like the game is going to fast for him at this level. I dont know at the age he is and the amount of time he gets how fast he will develop and how much. I just cant see giving him too many mins. at this point of the team's evolution...the other young guys seem much more advanced.

Comment

I hope his second year is not guaranteed and we can just dump him off the roster.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Raptors_13 wrote: View Post
              Andrew Bynum was drafted as a project and not an immediate impact player, now he is one of the top centers in the league. In his first season he saw limited floor time with only 7.3 mpg. Last year we received Soloman Alabi from the mavs for cash, and he barely saw any floor time. Are the raptors organization trying to replicate what L.A did with Bynum and increase his minutes over the next few seasons and turn him in to a solid center? I would be happy if we get a serviceable backup out of him.
              Andrew Bynum was a skilled high school big man who had all the physical tools to be a very good player, hence why he was a lottery pick. Solomon Alabi is an extremely raw, somewhat uncoordinated beanpole who was a 2nd round pick. While I do think it's way to early to throw the towel in on Alibi, there's really no comparison between the two.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

What I meant is that we should do the same thing l.a did with Bynum IMO, continue to develop him.

Comment

While it won't hurt to develop him, if he is 23 and it takes 3 more years to make him a "servicable" back-up that is a lot of time and energy not necessarily in cost, but in terms of player development. Any coach working one on one w/ alabi is not working one on one w/ Davis or Demar or Amir or the 2 or 3 Draft picks we will be acquiring over the next 2 years or so. I have nothing against Alabi, and don't really care all that much whether he stays or goes. If i'm a gm the "do we keep alabi and develop alabi" is at the bottom of a long list of questions like
                  "Am I getting another contract, and what the hell did I ever do to Silvestri?" (Shouldn't be the top question on Brian's mind, but c'mon, how can it not be?)
                  "Who should I Draft?"
                  "Do I trade my pick up to try and get Williams or Irving?"
                  "Do I trade my pick down?"
                  "Do I give Triano another contract?"
                  "What do I do with the White Swan?"
                  "Can Jared handle being a starting PG?"
                  "What big defensive Centers can I get?"
                  "Do I resign Reggie Evans? How much can I pay him?"
                  "Outside of Calderon and Bargs, who can I trade, Bayless, Evans (if resigned) Barbosa (if he exercises his player option)
                  "What am I going to eat for lunch?"
                  "Is it worth putting in the time and effort to make Solomon Alabi a descent back-up?"
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Good point
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If Solo can gain more mass like I'm talking 15-20 lbs more than he will definitely be here next season. A beefed up Alabi is way better than Mr. Potatohead aka Ajinca. Ajinca on the other hand is more skilled, they are virtually the same height, but I rather take a beefed up Alabi as a body in the paint over Ajinca's camping the perimeter skills anyday.
                      What the Raptors need off the bench is a rebounder, someone who at least attempts to block, and a good help defender, and from what little I saw from Alabi he is a better help defender than Ajinca.
                      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Alabi looks completely lost out on the floor. The game simply moves to fast for him. He just doesn't have it.

It's no loss. He was a second round gamble and it didn't work out. There will always be more Alabis to take gambles on. Heck, there's probably some in this draft.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          The difference is Bynum was 17 when drafted straight out of high school and 23 today.

Alabi was 22 when drafted with 3 years of NCAA experience and is also 23 today.
                          Exactly Matt. The thing that bothered me the most is the way this was handled. The Raps staff could have "encouraged" Alabi to play in the Euroleague and held his rights. This a team with a direct connection to the Euroleague, they could have easily done this. Alabi could have learned his trade in the European minors but instead he is getting paid NBA money to learn how to play and end up playing in Europe or Asia.

Comment

forget bynum alabi has his sights set on becoming a better player than hakim the dreamm ..

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              Exactly Matt. The thing that bothered me the most is the way this was handled. The Raps staff could have "encouraged" Alabi to play in the Euroleague and held his rights. This a team with a direct connection to the Euroleague, they could have easily done this. Alabi could have learned his trade in the European minors but instead he is getting paid NBA money to learn how to play and end up playing in Europe or Asia.
                              European teams have only a certain amount of roster allocations for non-european players. In addition, who's to say that Alabi is better than players on the respective euro league rosters? He's raw as it is, and looked lost last season, so I think he'd be just as lost in Europe. Let's also keep in mind that the Euro league is not a developmental league for the NBA. That's what the D-League is for. If the kid isn't good enough to play, he won't.

Comment

Working...
                              X