Andrew Bynum and Soloman Alabi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Andrew Bynum was a skilled high school big man who had all the physical tools to be a very good player, hence why he was a lottery pick. Solomon Alabi is an extremely raw, somewhat uncoordinated beanpole who was a 2nd round pick. While I do think it's way to early to throw the towel in on Alibi, there's really no comparison between the two.
    I concur.
    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

I know I already poked fun at the relevance of this thread but I was doing some research for another post on salaries and came across alabi's contract.

We paid him $770,000 this year
      he is under contract next year @ $830,000
      AND we have a team option for 2012-2013 @ $890,000

So I think the question of whether we develop Alabi or not has pretty much already been made. I doubt we will try to buy out his contract and because he gets paid sooo little it's not like he's going to make or break a trade. Now if you asked the same question next year when the team is deciding whether to exercise his player option or not then it makes sense at that point. Until then you have to assume we are going to develop him just like we are developing most of our roster. A more relevant question imo is how we develop him next year. Some one made the point of shipping him off to Europe and holding his rights, which probably would have made more sense given that he didn't play very many minutes but I guess that ship has sailed. I expect he will either see significant increase in minutes next season (10/game or so) and will pick up his option or he will spend the majority of his time in the d league and we let him walk at season's end.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        The difference is Bynum was 17 when drafted straight out of high school and 23 today.

Alabi was 22 when drafted with 3 years of NCAA experience and is also 23 today.
        This.

I don't think you can compare the two, Bynum uses his bulk as much as his reach/wingspan and has a semblance of an offensive game. Alabi is a shot-blocker who can do little else and as Matt pointed out, is much older. Alabi can be more easily compared to a player like Dalembert. A young guy I'd compare to Bynum would be - and hear me out on this - DeMarcus Cousins even though he plays a different position. I see a lot of similarity in their games (and even attitude although Bynum's has improved considerably).

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
          European teams have only a certain amount of roster allocations for non-european players. In addition, who's to say that Alabi is better than players on the respective euro league rosters? He's raw as it is, and looked lost last season, so I think he'd be just as lost in Europe. Let's also keep in mind that the Euro league is not a developmental league for the NBA. That's what the D-League is for. If the kid isn't good enough to play, he won't.
          I hear what your saying Mangokid I just don't understand what having Gheradini(m/s) is for if not to finagle behind the scene things like this? Another option could have been Japan ( a few head coaches with NBA ties are there now).

Anyway he's here now. No point moping. Maybe we get lucky and Alabi has an awaken this summer.

Comment

Don't give up on Alabi just yet. Yes, he's still raw and the game is too fast for him now. However, I like what I see in regards to his work ethic and attitude. He'll never be as good as Bynum but I think he'll end up being a good defensive centre with time. It's too early to give up on him. Don't forget, when Roy Hibbert was drafted, all the scouts said his footwork was too slow for him to ever be a productive NBA player. Well, Hibbert has certainly proved the experts wrong with all the hard work he's put in. I think Alabi will do the same.

Comment

Raptors_13 wrote: View Post
              Andrew Bynum was drafted as a project and not an immediate impact player, now he is one of the top centers in the league. In his first season he saw limited floor time with only 7.3 mpg. Last year we received Soloman Alabi from the mavs for cash, and he barely saw any floor time. Are the raptors organization trying to replicate what L.A did with Bynum and increase his minutes over the next few seasons and turn him in to a solid center? I would be happy if we get a serviceable backup out of him.
              I don't think so. They took a flier on Alabi because of his size and physical tools. He's no Bynum. He's not as talented as Bynum was when Bynum entered the league straight out of high school... And Alabi is 22.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                I hear what your saying Mangokid I just don't understand what having Gheradini(m/s) is for if not to finagle behind the scene things like this? Another option could have been Japan ( a few head coaches with NBA ties are there now).

Anyway he's here now. No point moping. Maybe we get lucky and Alabi has an awaken this summer.
                So Gherandini is around so he can help gets guys onto Euro clubs? He might have some connections in enabling a guy to have a chance to play in Europe, but these teams are money making operations, and just like us, they want to put a winning product on the floor, so it's not even guaranteed that he'd play - he could very well sit on the bench. As for playing in Japan - why? The competition is very weak. He might as well stay in North America and play in the D-League.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  The difference is Bynum was 17 when drafted straight out of high school and 23 today.

Alabi was 22 when drafted with 3 years of NCAA experience and is also 23 today.
                  If it were any other position I would subscribe to the "he has already reached his potential" argument.
                  I am not saying he is legit - I am not saying he is not but I will say if he really wants it he could find employment in the NBA

Alabi's combination of Size athleticism are rare - much better NBA body than say Alexis Ajinca. Do more work in gym and on mimicking the body of Dwight Howard and worry less about your jump shot and he should stay in NBA by virtue of his physical domination around the rim.

However does he want it that bad?????... lots of pain and commitment - not everyone has that desire - in fact few do.
                  "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Alabi is the next kwame brown! just kiddin. This guy has some potential but you gotta give him a chance.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                      Alabi is the next kwame brown! just kiddin. This guy has some potential but you gotta give him a chance.
                      If he's the next Kwame Brown, I'd be happy. Brown is a solid reserve big.

Comment

Come on guys... this analogy is ludicrous. Bynum was selected 10th overall out of highschool. Some people even compared him to Shaq.

Alabi spent three seasons in FSU. They are both the same age and had time to develop. Soloman is still raw like sushi.

Only if you adjust the salaries is there any hope for Alabi. I don't mind paying him $1,000,000 a year for two or three years for the miracle that he can become someone like Ibaka. But being a realist I don't expect much. As awkward as Ajinca is I think he has a better future.

Comment

bynum is the next alabi

Comment

Working...
                          X