Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 87

Thread: Raptors Next GM

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    While it certainly wasn't Pritchard's fault, there was certainly a question of whether Oden would struggle constantly with injuries throughout his career. And he passed on Kevin Durant, who many felt was going to be the better player. But there are a lot more issues with Pritchard that have kept other teams from hiring him. A lot of stuff that happened behind the scenes that would make me think twice about hiring the guy.
    Oden was the consensus #1 pick. There's not even debatable, except as hindsight revisionism. Don't really know enough about the internal politics to comment one way or another on Pritchard. Do you have more info on that?

    http://www.nba.com/features/draft2007_consensus.html

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Oden was the consensus #1 pick. There's not even debatable, except as hindsight revisionism. Don't really know enough about the internal politics to comment one way or another on Pritchard. Do you have more info on that?

    http://www.nba.com/features/draft2007_consensus.html
    You're looking at predictions, not who people think SHOULD be the #1 pick. And look at the updates for May 24th. Kevin Durant moved up to #1, so it wasn't exactly clear cut the whole time. Obviously Portland settled on Oden, and that's what most people were basing their mock drafts on. I can tell you there was some debate on who should go first. It's the difference between predicting and saying who YOU think should be drafted first.

    It's like when Bargnani was drafted #1. He was definitely the consensus #1 pick in the sense that most felt Toronto would pick Bargnani, but there was a large contingent who felt Aldridge should go #1.

    As for Pritchard, I read a few articles that talked about the real reasons Pritchard was fired. They involved things like Pritchard asking other GMs what they made and complaining that he was underpaid, sullying Portland's reputation with the Darius Miles controversy, maneuvering behind people's backs in order to gain more power, and trying to buddy up too much with the players. He doesn't have a very good reputation out in the league, apparently, despite the good things he did involving personnel moves.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dont like BC. I'd be in support of any new face over him.

    Once Steve Nash retires he will become the Raptors GM. And I think that is going to happen either after next season or within the next three years. Till then the Raptors should hire an interim GM whose sole job is to draft prudently, free-up cap space, and create a cast of young, inexpensive, developing players.

    If the team can only win 22 games with this roster, how much worse can it be after dumping salaries such as Calderon?

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    if you have a GM who can 'draft prudently, free-up cap space, and create a cast of young, inexpensive, developing players,' why not just hire them (i.e. instead of hiring them as a stop-gap/interim guy until a 'real' GM can be found)? you make those things sound so easy...they're difficult to do in isolation; being able to pull off all three is a serious sign of GMing skill. if you have a guy who can do them, then keep him.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 666 wrote: View Post
    I dont like BC. I'd be in support of any new face over him.

    Once Steve Nash retires he will become the Raptors GM. And I think that is going to happen either after next season or within the next three years. Till then the Raptors should hire an interim GM whose sole job is to draft prudently, free-up cap space, and create a cast of young, inexpensive, developing players.

    If the team can only win 22 games with this roster, how much worse can it be after dumping salaries such as Calderon?
    Draft prudently - check
    free up cap space - check
    create a cast of young, inexpensive, developing players - part marks

    Based on the criteria, it sounds like the Raptors should just keep Colangelo.

  6. #46
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Oden was the consensus #1 pick. There's not even debatable, except as hindsight revisionism. Don't really know enough about the internal politics to comment one way or another on Pritchard. Do you have more info on that?

    http://www.nba.com/features/draft2007_consensus.html
    Yes, he was the consensus #1. Come draft day Greg Oden was hands down the guy the majority of people were ranking the best talent in the class. What happened to the Blazers here was very bad luck...




    Quote 666 wrote: View Post
    Once Steve Nash retires he will become the Raptors GM. And I think that is going to happen either after next season or within the next three years. Till then the Raptors should hire an interim GM whose sole job is to draft prudently, free-up cap space, and create a cast of young, inexpensive, developing players.
    Source?

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 666 wrote: View Post
    I dont like BC. I'd be in support of any new face over him.

    Once Steve Nash retires he will become the Raptors GM. And I think that is going to happen either after next season or within the next three years. Till then the Raptors should hire an interim GM whose sole job is to draft prudently, free-up cap space, and create a cast of young, inexpensive, developing players.

    If the team can only win 22 games with this roster, how much worse can it be after dumping salaries such as Calderon?
    And what credentials does Steve Nash have to become GM of an NBA team?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic Rookie mmissile's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd prefer to see BC extended 2 more seasons. But if the Raps choose to find a replacement, Bill Simmons would be on my list. He has openly expressed interest in a GM position in the past.

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yes, he was the consensus #1. Come draft day Greg Oden was hands down the guy the majority of people were ranking the best talent in the class. What happened to the Blazers here was very bad luck...
    Not according to a number of people who wondered whether Oden would struggle with injuries throughout his career. Yes, the majority of people felt Oden was the best pick, but there was a large portion of the basketball population that felt that Durant was the better pick and the player who would have the better career. This wasn't exactly Tim Duncan, here.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mmissile wrote: View Post
    I'd prefer to see BC extended 2 more seasons. But if the Raps choose to find a replacement, Bill Simmons would be on my list. He has openly expressed interest in a GM position in the past.
    That's a joke, right?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  11. #51
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mmissile wrote: View Post
    I'd prefer to see BC extended 2 more seasons. But if the Raps choose to find a replacement, Bill Simmons would be on my list. He has openly expressed interest in a GM position in the past.
    You mean the Bill Simmons who at every opportunity writes about how the Raptors should be re-located? No thank you.

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You mean the Bill Simmons who at every opportunity writes about how the Raptors should be re-located? No thank you.
    what you've written above is complete fiction. whether you're a fan of simmons' or not, he has NEVER written about how the raptors should be re-located, and has written at length (and recently) about how it was unfortunate that van-city lost their team, how seattle lost theirs, and how sacto is likely losing theirs. simmons has frequently written about how passionate the raptor fanbase is. he's also frequently ripped the organization & front-office, and turned making fun of VC a sport for what he did to the city. but he's NEVER advocated relocating the team. if you can locate the article in which he writes this, or the podcast in which he says it, i'll gladly eat my words.

    FWIW - i'm not a fan of simmons' teams, but i do appreciate his passion, knowledge & his writing ability. do i think he could be a GM of an NBA team? i honestly don't know (would anyone?), but when i look around the league at the catastrophe's currently holding GM positions, i have a hard time believing he couldn't/wouldn't be better than a significant %. sometimes, when evaluating players, you just 'know' if they have what it takes, if they 'get it.' when durant was with texas, you just watched him & knew. IMO, simmons 'gets it.' it might not mean much, and you may want to simply pass him off as another american blow-hard trying to get noticed...and that's cool. just don't make shit up.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  13. #53
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You mean the Bill Simmons who at every opportunity writes about how the Raptors should be re-located? No thank you.
    i'm pretty sure he meant the bill simmons who unequivocally thought (at the time) durant should have been the #1 pick, and who wrote about why in detail. i guess he must be some kind of genius to think that way, since the 'consensus' was that oden was an obvious choice as the #1...

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/070620
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/070622
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  14. #54
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Other teams already hunting for new management?

    Despite the Indiana Pacers having a president and general manager in place, a franchise official called the San Antonio Spurs for permission to speak to assistant general manager Dennis Lindsey about a prominent front-office job, Eastern Conference sources told Yahoo! Sports.

    Jim Morris, who runs the organizationís business side, reached out to Spurs officials to talk to Lindsey, sources said. The call was received with trepidation, sources said, as Lindsey and the Spurs made clear there would be no conversations as long as Pacers president Larry Bird and GM David Morway still occupied their current jobs.

    It is unclear whether the call was made with the blessing of Bird, or made discreetly on behalf of owner Herb Simon.
    Source: RealGM.com

    See this is the kind of stuff I've been talking about. Most of the good options are going to be gone by the time the Accountant comes on board or gets his way.

  15. #55
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    And what credentials does Steve Nash have to become GM of an NBA team?
    well, to be fair, what credentials do ANY current players have to be anything related to the running of a pro team, or coaching? in general, i agree...but at the same time, i wouldn't want to discount anyone out of hand. with respect to nash, i could see him being successful in a team-building role - as mentioned above, he's a guy who simply 'gets it.' not that i would necessarily want his first GM experience to be as a raptor...it would be nice if he became involved with the team (or any team) in an assistant-GM capacity first (though the ideal mentor, IMO, wouldn't be BC), and develop the necessary skills/experience to become a GM over the course of a few seasons - like stevie Y.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  16. #56
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Source: RealGM.com

    See this is the kind of stuff I've been talking about. Most of the good options are going to be gone by the time the Accountant comes on board or gets his way.
    weird...dennis lindsey, huh? where have i heard that name before?

    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ght=#post69794
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  17. #57
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The name isn't the important information. It's the actual act that's the important thing here. This doesn't validate Lindsey as a good candidate, just as a canadidate.

  18. #58
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    The name isn't the important information. It's the actual act that's the important thing here. This doesn't validate Lindsey as a good candidate, just as a canadidate.
    i'll give you that. i guess i just got confused when you said, 'Most of the good options are going to be gone by the time the Accountant comes on board or gets his way.' i assumed you were implying that lindsey was one of those you consider a 'good' option. my bad...

    time will tell. meanwhile...tick-tock...what's the over/under on navel-gazing by the board?
    Last edited by yertu damkule; Mon May 2nd, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  19. #59
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    well, to be fair, what credentials do ANY current players have to be anything related to the running of a pro team, or coaching? in general, i agree...but at the same time, i wouldn't want to discount anyone out of hand. with respect to nash, i could see him being successful in a team-building role - as mentioned above, he's a guy who simply 'gets it.' not that i would necessarily want his first GM experience to be as a raptor...it would be nice if he became involved with the team (or any team) in an assistant-GM capacity first (though the ideal mentor, IMO, wouldn't be BC), and develop the necessary skills/experience to become a GM over the course of a few seasons - like stevie Y.
    Being a coach and being a GM are two very different things. And the number of players who have immediately gone on to become a head coach and succeeded are tiny. Maybe a few? As for running a franchise immediately, it's even less, I think.

    My point, though, is that Steve Nash has not exhibited any ability to scout and judge players. Nor has he exhibited any knowledge of how the team runs on the business side. I think he's a smart guy, and he's obviously a great player, but I just think it's ludicrous when people assume that just because a guy is a great player he will also be a great teach/coach/GM etc. It doesn't work that way.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  20. #60
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,041
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Source: RealGM.com

    See this is the kind of stuff I've been talking about. Most of the good options are going to be gone by the time the Accountant comes on board or gets his way.
    Apollo, as I speculated before, I think OTPP is doing exactly what it wants: it gets BC to run the draft; let's everyone expire; lockout happens July 1; name placeholder interim GM or potted plant; continue with MLSE sale; close MLSE sale late in year; leave new ownership to sort out mess prior to new season beginning in January or February(?). If they wanted a GM in place (either BC or someone else) they would have done it already. I believe that the current scenario isn't by happenstance, it's a plan.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •