Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Raptors Next GM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Could Walsh be an Option?

Donnie Walsh is conducting business as usual despite James Dolan not exercising the option year on the Knicks' president of basketball operation's contract Saturday.

In his first comments since the Knicks were swept in the first round by the Boston Celtics, Walsh said via a text message Monday, "I am getting ready for the draft and the offseason."

Walsh added that his current contract does not expire until June 30. That gives Walsh, the Knicks and the Garden's chairman two months to either negotiate a new contract or part ways. The clause in Walsh's contract called for organization to pick up his option by April 30, although that does not preclude Dolan from signing Walsh to an extension.

The general feeling is that Walsh will return, but there are several key issues that need to be resolved, including the power to hire a successor. Dolan refused to allow Walsh to sign Chris Mullin as a general manager last summer. Instead, Dolan advised him to name Isiah Thomas GM but backed off when Walsh threatened to resign.
    Source: RealGM.com

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I'm not so sure. At his age? He is solid and would build a team right, but he may return to Indiana to 'finish out his days'. At one point Bird was waiting on the Walsh situation to see what would happen before deciding his own next course of action.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    I'm not so sure. At his age? He is solid and would build a team right, but he may return to Indiana to 'finish out his days'. At one point Bird was waiting on the Walsh situation to see what would happen before deciding his own next course of action.
    i think it would be awesome. plus, it'd give embry someone to play canasta with...
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's not Colangelo that gets retained, I'm thinking that it's gonna be someone with no experience. Just call it a gut feeling. Whoever buys this team isn't going to want to make a big splash for front office personnel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    i think it would be awesome. plus, it'd give embry someone to play canasta with...
    HA! I would jump in on that game!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Tim,

It's ok to be wrong sometimes you know. I have never seen you admit you're wrong on anything. You're always right to the bitter end. Well, if you can't see you're wrong here then I'm not going to waste any more time with you on this. It's blantantly obvious that Durant wasn't being consider a real option for the #1 overall pick heading into the 2007 draft. There was just a small minority. He wasn't being seriously tossed around by most. There was no large group saying he was the guy. That he was the best.

If you called it back then, hats off to you because if you did you were in a select few.
    Durant was being talked about seriously as the #1 pick, because no one ever thought Greg "Airball" Oden could score, and he had an injury issue at Ohio State. Durant's dominant performances had him as no worse than a 50/50 choice for #1. The only thing that put Oden over the top was his enormous size and strength and the general lack of quality bigs in the NBA.

The mistake Pritchard made in picking Oden was that he hoped Oden would be healthy, and you can't run a team on hope. The Blazers wanted to avoid another Sam Bowie/Michael Jordan situation, and that's exactly what happened. History repeated itself.

Had the team with the #1 pick been Orlando or Boston, or another team with a quality lane-plugger, there would have been no question that Durant is their guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, as I recall that sequence of events, there was a lot of talk that Durant would probably end up being the better player, but for the philosophy that you never pass on a quality center, which are few and far in between. 'Course, I don't have any quantitative evidence (i.e. 50% of pundits thought so and so), but that was the feeling at the time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information