Steve Nash in Raptors Red!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Nash in Raptors Red!

I thought I'd throw this hypothetical at the forums (I posted the piece my blog)let me know some opinions

Current Steve Nash-Raptors ties:

1- He’s Canadian (ok thats a gimme)
    2- Colangelo brought him into Phoenix with great success
    3- Colangelo and Gherardini prefer a up tempo style of basketball
    4- Certain players don’t want to come to Canada while Nash has expressed a desire to finish up here
    5- Phoenix is looking ot get rid of him so it can start rebuilding faster
    6-One of his best friends (Barbosa) is suiting up for the Raptors looking for another payday

So I’m purposing this trade

Raptors trade: Amir Johnson and Jose Calderon
    Suns trade: Steve Nash

Reasons for the Suns: The fanbase has admitted that they want to move Nash so he is not wasting away and becoming unhappy for a cheap team that traded away all his close friends. The Suns get a pass first PG who fits in their system and a young PF who can start right away and is a upgrade over Hakim Warrick with a decent upside. Think that trade is lopsided for the raptors? you forget Suns GM Lon Babby freed the Raptors of Hedo Turkoglu’s contract last season so he has a track record of doing Raptors fans a few solids. Also with the uncertainty surrounding the lockout Nash will be one or two years older depending on the lockout situation…they must be thinking he can’t last forever ( I think he has two or three above average years in his body)

Reasons for the Raptors: Other then we get our nations best player ever? Nash is an elite player who can turn a franchise around very easily, and although it is weird to trade for a 37 year old right in the middle of a rebuilding process every team needs a veteran presence. The Raptors wouldn’t be giving up too much and it would free up long term money. Moreover with Nash running the point it’ll help the development of Davis, Johnson, and Derozans offensive ability in spades.

Suddenly the Raptors startng five doesn’t look too bad: Nash, Derozan, J.Johnson, Davis, and Bargnani. Nash did more with less last season in a tougher conference. If Colangelo is given one more year to prove he can make this style work why wouldn’t he look at this possibility. Bargs would be Channing Frye on steriods with Nash in Raptors red, Davis and Johnson can provide serviceable D. If we don’t land Kyrie Irving this draft Bayless is our PG of the future (which isn’t a bad position to be in anyways) but Bayless does not have a complete PG skillset yet so who better to teach him then a happy motivated Steve Nash.
    Opinionated blog about current NBA news and our very own Toronto Raptors
    http://cantfightthehustle.wordpress.com

5yrs ago yes. Now no.

Comment

not a good trade, if we trade for nash we still have the problem of who is our point guard going forward? Yes nash may and I stress the may have 1 to 2 decent years left, but why give up amir to get him? Nash will be a free agent and the end of next season. If he really wants to end up in toronto we can sign him then as our back up much like derrick martin was a few seasons ago. If you want to trade nash for calderon straight up or throw in a 2nd round pick then fine, but i think we could get way more for jose + amir
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I thought we were rebuilding...
        Also, even if I were able to get Nash for just Calderon, I wouldn't do it because he'll never win a title here in Toronto. This is why I'd never make it as a GM, but I'd want Nash to win a title, and he won't be able to do that here in Toronto.

Comment

this is stupid. I'm not trading amir johnson, trade calderon but not amir. Plus Nash only has like what? 2 -3 seasons left in the nba before he retires.

Comment

I'm not saying I wish for this to happen but with the current roster it would fit, but in any world I would trade Amir for Nash...take nash off Phoenix and you have a roster that may not be better then Sacramento...VC washed up, aaron brooks shoots too much....and who wants a front court of frye and warrick (I'll admit Gortat is a lone bright spot). As as good and young as Amir is he has been in the league for 5-6 yrs, is still 100lbs, and still has a huge foul rate...he is a good role player on a contender AT best...don't be overvaluing Amir too much.

Al I'm saying if Colangelo got one more year and needed to win he would probably explore Nash...and Nash could help this squad out a lot...for now and for future development

Comment

I think Amir WITH Nash would be a lethal PnR combo.
              Amir can drive through the open lane with a pretty quick first step,
              and he can also hit the 15-footer with legit consistency.

if we got Nash, I would still like to see Bayless starting. Id also like Bargs to come off the bench as our 6th man. Nash, Amir, and Bargs would be facing other Bench players and would just tear it up while we give consistent starter minutes to Bayless, Derozan, and Ed.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                I think Amir WITH Nash would be a lethal PnR combo.
                Amir can drive through the open lane with a pretty quick first step,
                and he can also hit the 15-footer with legit consistency.

if we got Nash, I would still like to see Bayless starting. Id also like Bargs to come off the bench as our 6th man. Nash, Amir, and Bargs would be facing other Bench players and would just tear it up while we give consistent starter minutes to Bayless, Derozan, and Ed.
                Never thought about something like that...although the odds are long (so is Nash in a raps uni too...so it fits lol) we'd have the best bench in the NBA arguably...bargs would have so much free space on the floor if nash was there

Comment

I actually like the idea of getting Nash, to a certain degree. First of all, I'd like to see him win a championship but that's not happening with that suns team and I'm not sure any contenders take him on. Thus, it'd be nice to see him go out here in Canada, helping mentor and push a young raptors team. He'd bring a flair and winning culture to the team we haven't ever had. If we could get their 1st rounder along with him, even better. Could draft a guy like Knight/Burks/Kemba/Williams (if not Irving) to learn behind him for a couple years till he retires, and spell him for significant minutes so his back doesn't really crap out.

Of course I wouldn't sell the farm for him or anything. I don't have the trade machine at my disposal (on iPhone) so I can't mock up a scenario but something like Bayless/Bargs + TPE or whatever for him + pick... I'd do it in a heartbeat. It'd help attract free agents, too.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'd rather see PHX trade Nash somewhere where he has a possibility of winning a championship than waste the few years he has left in the league struggling to get the Raps to a .500 record.

Comment

Remind us again which contenders would trade for/sign Nash?
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        If he is bought out and can sign for minimum...Lakers, Hawks, Heat, Magic, Knicks, Blazers.

If he has to be traded...none.

Comment

I could easily speculate on what contenders I believe would trade or sign Nash, but I'm just saying I'd rather see him win somewhere than waste 2-3 years in TO.

Comment

Like I said, I know he'd rather go to a contender and wish him all the success in the world and hope he wins a championship buuuuuut I just don't see many contenders wanting to sign him. Maybe a team like the magic or a final hurrah in Dallas, but that's it. He's not going to fit into a triangle offense like thr lakers or want to play for a faux contender like the hawks.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              I actually think ATL would be a wicked fit for Nash....and thought they were stupid for not going after him this past trade deadline. ATL has good enough defenders across the board to cover-up his D short comings and It's be fun to see him throw oops to Josh Smith..create space for Horford and a JJ reunion...

Also Orlando wouldve been interesting just because of Dwight...

Comment

Working...
                              X