View Poll Results: Do you think its a good idea for Calderon to represent Spain?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 58.33%
  • No

5 41.67%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calderon Down For Playing Lots of International Ball Over The Next Two Years

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calderon Down For Playing Lots of International Ball Over The Next Two Years

MADRID (EuroBasket) – Toronto Raptors point guard Jose Calderon is hoping to play at a third straight Olympics with Spain.

Los Chicos de Oro can punch their ticket for the London Games by reaching the EuroBasket Final this summer in Lithuania.

"The EuroBasket this year is very important and more so for qualifying for the Olympics, which will make it all the more special,” Calderon said.

“Each year is more complicated because everyone wants to play.

“Moreover, this year you have 24 national teams and it will be beautiful.”
    Calderon is coming off a strong season in the NBA with the Toronto Raptors.
    Source: Fiba.com

This means two things. One, this writer didn't watch the 2010/2011 Raptors play much. Two, get ready for another injury plagued campaign for Jose Calderon as his body will have no time to recover.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if there's a lockout then I guess it doesn't really matter. but I'm not super excited about this or anything.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post

This means two things. One, this writer didn't watch the 2010/2011 Raptors play much. Two, get ready for another injury plagued campaign for Jose Calderon as his body will have no time to recover.
    Well, when does this thing end? September? That gives him October-January to rest. Should be enough time.

Post Thanks / Like

You assume that the lockout will last until January, why? '98 was a long time ago and there were different issues then. This could end in June, July, August, September, September 2012, we can't say. The Raptors won't be in a position to stop him this summer if the lockout is still ongoing but if it ends in August or September then it's business as usual come October.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is further proof why I say trade him YESTERDAY. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. If a trade can be made that makes the Raptors as good (or bad depending on perspective) as they are now or make them better, trade him. The risks far outweigh the rewards in my opinion.

EDIT: when I say better I mean one or both of better financially or talent-wise. Either or is a win for the Raptors - both would be ideal, of course.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed May 4th, 2011 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

More evidence the team is best off moving him

Edit:what matt said
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree too. I think he's already gonna be very hard to trade since all the playoff teams have solid PG's and Calderon wouldn't be an upgrade. If they wait till the hard cap comes in...forget about it!
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade him.

It clearly shows he does not want to improve for the sake of the Raptors.
    He should be working on his defense and jumpshot in the summer rather than playing euroball.

Post Thanks / Like

If Rubio lands in Minnesota I could see a lot of changes coming to their PG depth chart. Calderon would be the perfect backup to him. Spain won mulitple championships with those two sharing time.

Post Thanks / Like

Jose's minutes with Spain are not that significant to really make it that hard on his body. With Ricky Rubio, Raul Lopez, and even Juan Carlos Navarro and Sergio Llull all capable of being a lead guard, Jose is not a crucial to his team's success as he once was, look for him to be an emotional leader with spot minutes.

I forgot to mention Sergio Rodriguez and Carlos Cabezas as other very solid PG's in the Spanish system.
    Last edited by WJF; Thu May 5th, 2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Two more PGs

Post Thanks / Like

Over the past seven years Calderon has started most of the games. Rubio no doubt will take that role moving forward but I'm not sure why you think inferior players like Rodriguez and Cabezas are going to eat into his minutes. Do you feel they're going to carry four PG and play all of them? As for Navarro, yeah he's capable of playing PG but his position is SG. Spain doesn't care about where Calderon is at for the NBA season, they just care about where he's at for games that are important for them. He's always played an important role for them, he's only 30 and he may be the best player right now out of all the names you mentioned. Yes, that includes Rubio. Rubio no doubt is going to be a vastly superior player to Calderon but he's struggled this year. Calderon has always been very solid for Spain and is one of their leaders. I expect him to have a big role and you're not even considering practice time or potential injuries which could extend his PT.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i have nothing to add to this discussion, except for..

god bless Spain.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post

god bless Spain.
    That was freakin awesome! WTF were they thinking?!

As far as trading him goes, why would a team take a chance on an overpriced 30 year old PG before he goes to play for Spain? It would have to be a bit of a blockbuster where he's included and we take back a bad contract as well.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    That was freakin awesome! WTF were they thinking?!
    gotta remember they're from spain.. internationally, racism isnt viewed as taboo as it is here.. in alot of cases, its just humor without any hateful meaning.. they just havent really experienced the centuries of inequality and hurt feelings that north america has.. like, for instance, if a girl here were to walk up to a black dude and starts asking him why he's so dark.. thats offensive.. but if you're in japan, and a chick walks up to a black dude and asks the same thing, that black dude is probably going to get laid that night.

these guys are from a country that makes monkey sounds en masse to black soccer players

that being said.... jose and the gasol brothers shoulda known better

Post Thanks / Like

Over the past seven years Calderon has started most of the games. Rubio no doubt will take that role moving forward but I'm not sure why you think inferior players like Rodriguez and Cabezas are going to eat into his minutes. Do you feel they're going to carry four PG and play all of them? As for Navarro, yeah he's capable of playing PG but his position is SG. Spain doesn't care about where Calderon is at for the NBA season, they just care about where he's at for games that are important for them. He's always played an important role for them, he's only 30 and he may be the best player right now out of all the names you mentioned. Yes, that includes Rubio. Rubio no doubt is going to be a vastly superior player to Calderon but he's struggled this year. Calderon has always been very solid for Spain and is one of their leaders. I expect him to have a big role and you're not even considering practice time or potential injuries which could extend his PT.
    AS much as practicing, travel. and injuries play a role, Jose's role withe the team is a diminishing one.

Post Thanks / Like

You assume that the lockout will last until January, why? '98 was a long time ago and there were different issues then. This could end in June, July, August, September, September 2012, we can't say.
    Well, I love your optimism but this doesn't sound good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6476219

"Unfortunately, the proposal is very similar to the proposal the league submitted over a year ago," union president Derek Fisher told ESPN.com. "This last proposal doesn't look close to what we were expecting."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post

god bless Spain.
    Yeah, I remember that creating a mini shit storm.

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    AS much as practicing, travel. and injuries play a role, Jose's role withe the team is a diminishing one.
    Do you have a source on that? I ask because most of the guys you mentioned are around his age and have been around for a while.

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Well, I love your optimism but this doesn't sound good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6476219

"Unfortunately, the proposal is very similar to the proposal the league submitted over a year ago," union president Derek Fisher told ESPN.com. "This last proposal doesn't look close to what we were expecting."
    Yeah, I read this already but this is a negotiation. We're not even in June yet. You won't see anything agreed on until after the live rounds start firing after June 30th. They're just testing each other right now. Typical labor talks. Players aren't going to get paid in Europe and FIBA might not let them play because they have an agreement with the NBA.

Post Thanks / Like

Sergio is 25 and we all know how young Rubio is. Jose is a little more decorated than those two, but when it comes to National teams no one is guaranteed a spot in a competitive back-court. During the 2008 Olympics when Jose was injured for the semifinal and final game you could see that there may be a changing of the guard in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

Sergio is no where near the player Jose is. Rubio, that's the only guy who deserves to cut into Jose's time at this point. Jose will backup Rubio. I'll make a sig bet with you that Jose gets more PT than the other real options are PG. Navarro doesn't count because he doesn't typically play PG.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

If Rubio lands in Minnesota I could see a lot of changes coming to their PG depth chart. Calderon would be the perfect backup to him. Spain won mulitple championships with those two sharing time.
    I agree. And would of course offer some financial room...

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    This is further proof why I say trade him YESTERDAY. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. If a trade can be made that makes the Raptors as good (or bad depending on perspective) as they are now or make them better, trade him. The risks far outweigh the rewards in my opinion.

EDIT: when I say better I mean one or both of better financially or talent-wise. Either or is a win for the Raptors - both would be ideal, of course.
    But financial relief is more likely, and Minny is a very solid option. We would have to take back Flynn, but $3M for only really one more year is easy.

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    As far as trading him goes, why would a team take a chance on an overpriced 30 year old PG before he goes to play for Spain? It would have to be a bit of a blockbuster where he's included and we take back a bad contract as well.
    As said Minny likely would, and some teams need a play making PG with shooting skills and can get past his defensive woes since they acutally have a defensive front court.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information