Raptors 7/8th seed in the east

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors 7/8th seed in the east

well i decided to post this new thread cause there hasn't been much talk about the team next season. How many wins will we have? What players will we aquire through Free agency, Trade and Draft? But the main question is, Will We make it to the playoffs? IMO if everything goes right(i.e we draft Irving/williams/kanter trade bargnani and bring in a Veteran C) then we'll make it to the playoffs with the 7th or 8th seed.

One of the things we really need to address this off season is our 3 pt shooting. We went from one of the best 3 pt shooting teams to the worst. If Derozan comes back shooting 30+% from behind the arc, JJ improves his 3pt shot to the low 30's, bayless comes back with a polished shot and we bring in another wing player(i.e Affalo or chandler) then we'll be among one of the best again.
    Last edited by Raptors_; Mon May 2, 2011, 05:42 PM.

That's really tough question with all that's going on right now
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Not tryna sound like a jerk here but this seems kinda pointless when the Raps don't have a GM, barely have a coach, we don't even know what # pick let along who they draft, and if there will actually be a season next year.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
        Not tryna sound like a jerk here but this seems kinda pointless when the Raps don't have a GM, barely have a coach, we don't even know what # pick let along who they draft, and if there will actually be a season next year.
        Gm= they'll resign BC if there smart
        Coach= Triano will still be here
        lockout= i doubt it will happen and if it does they'll just shorten the season

Comment

I think it's way too early to make any guesses. It's not just what the Raptors do in the offseason, but what other teams do, as well. You can't look at them in a vacuum.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Raptors_ keep this thread in mind for early November. Hopefully there will be a season by then. In my opinion, it is far to early when there are so many questions unanswered starting with draft positioning (May 17th), coach (JT's option June 15), drafted player (June 23), draft day trades, GM (June 30), lockout (July 1st), free agency (earliest July 1st).

Bring on May 17th to get the ball rolling.

Comment

May 17th decides our future!!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Raptors_ keep this thread in mind for early November. Hopefully there will be a season by then. In my opinion, it is far to early when there are so many questions unanswered starting with draft positioning (May 17th), coach (JT's option June 15), drafted player (June 23), draft day trades, GM (June 30), lockout (July 1st), free agency (earliest July 1st).

Bring on May 17th to get the ball rolling.
                alright

Comment

If we draft an nba ready player, and pick up another piece through free agency. I could see the raptors fighting for the 8th spot.

Comment

Too soon
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I think an even more important question concerning next year is the same one us fans wrestled with this year: Should the team fight for 8th seed, just to say they made the playoffs?

First, as others have said, there may not be a season at all next year.

Second, until the draft is done (drafting player and potential trades before/during the draft), it's practically impossible to assess the Raps situation and playoff chances for next season.

Depending on the makeover this team goes through, I think a lot of fans will look at next season as the second year of a true rebuild, which typically takes 2-4 seasons. By that logic, if the team continues a youth movement and continues to acquire assets (either to play for the Raps or to use as trade bait), the question becomes which approach would be better for the rebuilding and long-term benefit of the team and its core roster - squeeking into the playoffs and getting destroyed in the first round, or missing the playoffs and adding another high lottery pick?

When you look at the quality of next year's draft, it becomes very tempting to enjoy one more season in the lottery. Suddenly us fans are looking at a young core that would include DeRozan, Davis, top-6 pick this year and another lottery in next year's deep draft. And that doesn't even take into account other moves and/or player development.

For the long-term, especially since I think there likely will be at least a lock-out next season (if not a complete cancellation), I am all for missing the playoffs next season to get a 4th straight lottery pick. Then the Raps should be able to become a top-tier team in the East for years to come.

Comment

If we keep bargs we will make it to the playoffs.
                        http://websitedweeb.userboard.net-Introduce your website. No signup required!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          I think an even more important question concerning next year is the same one us fans wrestled with this year: Should the team fight for 8th seed, just to say they made the playoffs?

First, as others have said, there may not be a season at all next year.

Second, until the draft is done (drafting player and potential trades before/during the draft), it's practically impossible to assess the Raps situation and playoff chances for next season.

Depending on the makeover this team goes through, I think a lot of fans will look at next season as the second year of a true rebuild, which typically takes 2-4 seasons. By that logic, if the team continues a youth movement and continues to acquire assets (either to play for the Raps or to use as trade bait), the question becomes which approach would be better for the rebuilding and long-term benefit of the team and its core roster - squeeking into the playoffs and getting destroyed in the first round, or missing the playoffs and adding another high lottery pick?

When you look at the quality of next year's draft, it becomes very tempting to enjoy one more season in the lottery. Suddenly us fans are looking at a young core that would include DeRozan, Davis, top-6 pick this year and another lottery in next year's deep draft. And that doesn't even take into account other moves and/or player development.

For the long-term, especially since I think there likely will be at least a lock-out next season (if not a complete cancellation), I am all for missing the playoffs next season to get a 4th straight lottery pick. Then the Raps should be able to become a top-tier team in the East for years to come.
                          You raise a very good point. To me, making the playoffs next year should be an extremely low priority. What is far more important is to ensure the right building blocks are there far longterm growth, and that means building slowly with youth. If they happen to make the playoffs next season, fine, but not at the expense of the youth movement.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Mr.Grinch wrote:
                            If we keep bargs we will make it to the playoffs
                            Because players with a negative impact help you make the playoffs?
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

would you guys be happy if our team improved we aquired a great pick and we ended up grabbing 8th seed? i wouldn't care if we get eliminated in the first round. Atleast we get some respect from around the league and people will stop making fun of this team. And also free agents will be more interested in coming here.

Comment

Working...
                              X