Thread: Draft Pick #3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draft Pick #3

Would Utah consider trading their #6 and #12 for Raptor's #3? If they would the Raptor's could get Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight at the #6 and maybe Bismack Biyombo at the #12! Possibility or not? Maybe Utah would like to trade up to get someone better thus giving the Raptor's 2 picks!

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad idea but, if the draft had Barnes and Sullinger in it that might be a possibility, this draft's top 5 is too weak for that kinda trade. Unless we get 1st pick and trade it to Utah for both of theirs.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

May 17th - wait for it.... wait for it....

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I suggested someting like this before the trade deadline. The next day Colangelo said he did not want more rookies (traded miami's pick right after). I have not heard anything to make me think he has changed his mind.

I think this would be a great decision, as many other posters do as well, but I am not sure Colangelo does.

I guess all we can do is wait and see.

EDIT:
    heres the link to my thread from a few months ago
    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...and-Jazz-picks
    Last edited by bballnut27; Sun May 1st, 2011 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

May 17 is ping pong ball day right? When's the draft exactly?
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If we got three it wouldn't be a bad idea to trade down but I still want reports of how Kanter and Vesely's workouts go....and don't fool yourself we know Colangelo will be working out most of the Euro's
    Opinionated blog about current NBA news and our very own Toronto Raptors
    http://cantfightthehustle.wordpress.com

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    May 17 is ping pong ball day right? When's the draft exactly?
    Jun 23rd

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

I had a dream the other night that the Raps got the #7 pick. So, I'm calling it right now, the Raps will not pick at 3. Instead, they'll pick later.

Post Thanks / Like

But to answer the OP's question, I'd take Utah's 6 and 12 picks for the 3. Picking 6 is not that far off from picking 3rd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote badbob wrote: View Post
    Would Utah consider trading their #6 and #12 for Raptor's #3? If they would the Raptor's could get Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight at the #6 and maybe Bismack Biyombo at the #12! Possibility or not? Maybe Utah would like to trade up to get someone better thus giving the Raptor's 2 picks!
    I kind of like the idea. We've seen similar trades in past years so I think it would be possible. I think Kanter is going to be very good and so if the Raptors land at #3 then Kanter would be an excellent option. Walker and Biyombo at 6 and 12 sounds like more bang for your buck though. The only flaw to the strategy would be if those guys aren't there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I had a dream the other night that the Raps got the #7 pick. So, I'm calling it right now, the Raps will not pick at 3. Instead, they'll pick later.
    Yet the lottery can drop you only 3 spots, not 4, so you are dreaming of another year.

But to answer the OP's question, I'd take Utah's 6 and 12 picks for the 3. Picking 6 is not that far off from picking 3rd.
    Except the question truly was would Utah do it. I would certainly do it from a Raps standpoint, not sure BC would do it considering what he has been saying, but doubt Utah does it in the rebuild. That said, what about a Bargnani, Calderon, Raps pick for the two Utah picks, CJ Miles (Utah picks up option), and Jefferson? I am not huge on Jefferson, but if both Kemba and Biyombo are still there (solid chance but also other options) then we could look at a lineup of:

PG: Kemba, Bayless
    SG: Derozan, CJ Miles
    SF: JJ, Kleiza
    PF: ED, Amir
    C: Biyombo, Al Jefferson, Alabi
    with a salary of only $49M (including Barbosa if he opts in which is likely). Add Barbosa as sparkplug trade bait (&expiring) for assets, and $$ to chase FA like TYoung, WChandler, AAfflalo, Green?, DJordan, JR Smith, DCook, KAzubuike, and TPE opportunities as laid out in the TPE trade thread. It does not leave money to chase players like Tyson Chandler or Marc Gasol. EDIT: (unless Barbosa is gone/does not opt in).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Yet the lottery can drop you only 3 spots, not 4, so you are dreaming of another year.
    That's why it was a dream, big guy. Don't tqake it too literally.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why it was a dream, big guy. Don't tqake it too literally.
    Ha you make me laugh. Still saying it was another year. That way we can still hope.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always hate the idea of trading down, because basically you're getting lesser talents. And in this draft, the difference between 3 and 6 could be huge. In 2005, Portland traded their 3rd pick for the 6th pick. And they lost out on Deron Williams and took Martell Webster, instead. The next year they learned from their mistake and traded up, from the 4th pick, and Tyrus Thomas, to the 2nd pick, and LaMarcus Aldridge.

In the NBA two good players don't equal a great player. And the best way to draft a great player is to get the highest pick possible.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just posted something similar to this thread. Getting Utah's picks would be my preference too. I would pick either Brandon Knight or Kemba

and at 12 I would pick Leonard Kwahi, he fits the raptors needs to a tee. Rebounding, Defense, Slasher. Avg. 15.4 pg and 10.7 rebs for San Deigo State (#2, sweet sixteen, lost to UCONN)

Even if we keep the three (kemba, or knight) and trade for a later 9 to 13 pick. We could draft the same way and have to two really good players out of this draft.

I realize B.C. said our team was to young to have two rookies, but I think this would be a good move for the future. We have cap room to grab a centre. We could also deal Bayless, Bargs to get some talented veteran leadership.

New Centre (Or Bargs)
    Ed Davis
    K. Leonard
    Demar
    Knight, or Kemba

Bench

Calderon
    Barbosa
    Amir
    Klieza
    J.J.

Looks like a wicked team to me!

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    I just posted something similar to this thread. Getting Utah's picks would be my preference too. I would pick either Brandon Knight or Kemba

and at 12 I would pick Leonard Kwahi, he fits the raptors needs to a tee. Rebounding, Defense, Slasher. Avg. 15.4 pg and 10.7 rebs for San Deigo State (#2, sweet sixteen, lost to UCONN)

Even if we keep the three (kemba, or knight) and trade for a later 9 to 13 pick. We could draft the same way and have to two really good players out of this draft.

I realize B.C. said our team was to young to have two rookies, but I think this would be a good move for the future. We have cap room to grab a centre. We could also deal Bayless, Bargs to get some talented veteran leadership.

New Centre (Or Bargs)
    Ed Davis
    K. Leonard
    Demar
    Knight, or Kemba

Bench

Calderon
    Barbosa
    Amir
    Klieza
    J.J.

Looks like a wicked team to me!
    See my post above yours. I am VERY against doing this sort of thing. Basically, you're just getting worse players 9 times out of 10. Not a recipe for success.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Raptors Shouldn't Be The Team Gambling In a Downgrade Trade

The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that trading away the #3 for the #6 and #12 in a weak draft is not enough bang for the Raptors' buck. It's very risky for them to make such a trade seeing how they have the leverage. The team taking more of the risk should be the Jazz seeing how they'd be getting the biggest asset in the deal. The Raptors should be looking to get Hayward or Miles along with the #6 pick for the #3.

Hayward isn't the perfect player but he's better than anything they'll get at #12 and maybe at #6. If they landed Hayward and the #6 the Raptors would be in position to draft one of a bunch of high potential high risk players while getting a somewhat known commodity with good upside back as well.

Thread Information