Calderon Down For Playing Lots of International Ball Over The Next Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    You assume that the lockout will last until January, why? '98 was a long time ago and there were different issues then. This could end in June, July, August, September, September 2012, we can't say.
    Well, I love your optimism but this doesn't sound good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6476219

"Unfortunately, the proposal is very similar to the proposal the league submitted over a year ago," union president Derek Fisher told ESPN.com. "This last proposal doesn't look close to what we were expecting."

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
      i have nothing to add to this discussion, except for..

god bless Spain.
      Yeah, I remember that creating a mini shit storm.

WJF wrote: View Post
      AS much as practicing, travel. and injuries play a role, Jose's role withe the team is a diminishing one.
      Do you have a source on that? I ask because most of the guys you mentioned are around his age and have been around for a while.

slaw wrote: View Post
      Well, I love your optimism but this doesn't sound good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6476219

"Unfortunately, the proposal is very similar to the proposal the league submitted over a year ago," union president Derek Fisher told ESPN.com. "This last proposal doesn't look close to what we were expecting."
      Yeah, I read this already but this is a negotiation. We're not even in June yet. You won't see anything agreed on until after the live rounds start firing after June 30th. They're just testing each other right now. Typical labor talks. Players aren't going to get paid in Europe and FIBA might not let them play because they have an agreement with the NBA.

Comment

Sergio is 25 and we all know how young Rubio is. Jose is a little more decorated than those two, but when it comes to National teams no one is guaranteed a spot in a competitive back-court. During the 2008 Olympics when Jose was injured for the semifinal and final game you could see that there may be a changing of the guard in the near future.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Sergio is no where near the player Jose is. Rubio, that's the only guy who deserves to cut into Jose's time at this point. Jose will backup Rubio. I'll make a sig bet with you that Jose gets more PT than the other real options are PG. Navarro doesn't count because he doesn't typically play PG.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            If Rubio lands in Minnesota I could see a lot of changes coming to their PG depth chart. Calderon would be the perfect backup to him. Spain won mulitple championships with those two sharing time.
            I agree. And would of course offer some financial room...

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            This is further proof why I say trade him YESTERDAY. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. If a trade can be made that makes the Raptors as good (or bad depending on perspective) as they are now or make them better, trade him. The risks far outweigh the rewards in my opinion.

EDIT: when I say better I mean one or both of better financially or talent-wise. Either or is a win for the Raptors - both would be ideal, of course.
            But financial relief is more likely, and Minny is a very solid option. We would have to take back Flynn, but $3M for only really one more year is easy.

Mack North wrote: View Post
            As far as trading him goes, why would a team take a chance on an overpriced 30 year old PG before he goes to play for Spain? It would have to be a bit of a blockbuster where he's included and we take back a bad contract as well.
            As said Minny likely would, and some teams need a play making PG with shooting skills and can get past his defensive woes since they acutally have a defensive front court.

Comment

by the way I voted yes. Good idea for him...bad idea for us. We have no choice.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                But financial relief is more likely, and Minny is a very solid option. We would have to take back Flynn, but $3M for only really one more year is easy.
                Not necessarily. Flynn is a low risk high reward player. Before his hip injury and being forced to play in a system that does not suit his game, he had a lot of upside. Take a look at his college stats. He was unreal. I think another team would be interested and I don't think they'd be forcing him on anyone.

While I do not oppose taking Flynn, if Calderon and Rubio go to MIN Ridnour might be a very suitable and much less paid backup PG than Calderon.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Not necessarily. Flynn is a low risk high reward player. Before his hip injury and being forced to play in a system that does not suit his game, he had a lot of upside. Take a look at his college stats. He was unreal. I think another team would be interested and I don't think they'd be forcing him on anyone.

While I do not oppose taking Flynn, if Calderon and Rubio go to MIN Ridnour might be a very suitable and much less paid backup PG than Calderon.
                  They are openly trying to shop Flynn, as I am sure you know. I should be clear that Flynn as a return is okay in my view, especially monetarily. (same with Ridnour). That said neither are a defensive stalwart.

Comment

Working...
                  X