X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al-Farouq Aminu for Barbosa

Aminu and 2nd rounder for Barbosa

Rationale:

LAC are reportedly looking for an impact SF now as they want to compete now - rebuild is over, winning begins (hopefully). They have enough cap room to absorb Barbosa with Aminu going out. This leaves them with more than enough to re-sign Jordan and they can use Kaman to help get the SF they covet (Camby and Batum for Kaman?). Barbosa would be a great player off the bench behind Gordon.

Toronto gets a very young player (only 20) with considerable upside - number 9 pick last year. He is 6'9" with extremely long arms. He played with JJ at Wake Forest so they could possibly rekindle some magic from their very successful one year together. In the right environment and with a year under his belt, I think Aminu could be set for a break out season. The 2nd round pick is added with the premise of adding a player who might have slipped and a cheap way to fill out the roster. LAC has their own DET and HOU 2nd rounders. The Raptors also shave $5M off their salary cap number for next year.

After this trade I would go very hard after a new sixth man man to replace Barbosa. The two names I would pursue are Arron Afflalo and JR Smith. Afflalo may not want to leave DEN as they still want him and he would no doubt continue to start. However if Toronto could sell him as his place as a sixth man and 30 minutes a game combined with a very respectful salary (remember, they saved $5M on the trade) he might consider - by the way I have no idea for this to be true or not, just guessing. If Afflalo says no, then JR Smith - and all his baggage - might be a very good option. It would be a gamble but one could only hope he continues to mature and realize the special gifts and talents he has. As an aside, JR Smith would mean good bye Triano and hello to a coach that holds EVERYONE accountable. I think JR Smith could be had for less as well.

I think these two moves would shore up the wing positions for starters and back ups: DD, Smith, JJ, Aminu. Then sign Daequan Cook and James Jones as the third string.

I deffinetly like this trade. Another strong young player on the wing would be very helpful.
    And although their rebuilding may be over they still need to grow together and that could be time for him to devolop there.
    I am not sure if they are ready to compete yet, although maybe they think other wise.

Do they want to break up their young guys?
    Is barbosa better, and will he be better over the next few years?

I am not sure La does this trade, but I think we should try for it.

Comment

bballnut27 wrote: View Post
      I deffinetly like this trade. Another strong young player on the wing would be very helpful.
      And although their rebuilding may be over they still need to grow together and that could be time for him to devolop there.
      I am not sure if they are ready to compete yet, although maybe they think other wise.

Do they want to break up their young guys?
      Is barbosa better, and will he be better over the next few years?

I am not sure La does this trade, but I think we should try for it.
      I most definitely agree with your thinking about LAC breaking up the core. However, I wonder if it is certain Aminu is part of that core. Eric Pincus is the LA-based chat guy on Hoopsworld.com. He seems to be pretty sure the Clippers are looking for an impact player at SF now or a young player that has shown he is a player now (Batum). Aminu, as high on him as I am, was still a rookie this year and still an unknown.

My thinking is the Clips will use Kaman to get the SF they want - Kaman for Camby and Batum?
      They need depth, experience, and scoring off the bench which Barbosa provides.

LAC would look like this:

PG: Williams, Bledsoe
      SG: Gordon, Barbosa, Foye
      SF: Batum, Gomes
      PF: Griffin, Camby
      C: Jordan

They would have their guards and wings done. They need to address depth at PF and C positions.

Comment

Not bad but I rather see Barbosa here next season, thats my opinion though.
        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

I'd be for this. I love his size and athleticism I just wonder about upstairs. I didn't watch many clipper games but I didnt really hear about him doing much this season. Is he a project type player?

Anyways, I still like the trade.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

They came out at the end of the season and stated that they should have aged the kid more. He's a top ten lotto pick. I think the would want more.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              They came out at the end of the season and stated that they should have aged the kid more. He's a top ten lotto pick. I think the would want more.
              I had not heard that but I would agree 100%.

Comment

I'd do this trade for sure, so long as the Raps didn't draft Williams, with one caveat. I agree also - and have proposed elsewhere in the forums - that Barbosa on the Clippers makes sense.

Barbosa is one of the best trade assets the team has, and that should be seen as more valuable than anything he might be able to contribute on the floor next season, given the current state/needs of the team. Having said that, the caveat would be that I would like to see what else Barbosa might be able to net.

Comment

I think the Clippers would definitely want more for him, but I think it might be a very good guy to target
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

How weird is it to say the clippers are in win now mode?
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

As a Raptors fan, I'd love for it to happen. From a Clippers perspective, it's not enough. I don't think the Clips want to have a $7 mil backup for Gordon.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Apollo wrote: View Post
                        I had not heard that but I would agree 100%.
                        My bad. I just noticed a typo. I'm glad you got what I was saying still.

The kids were thrown into the fray, and then they were watching more often than desired.

"From a development standpoint, I think we could have done a better job with Al-Farouq [Aminu] and [Eric] Bledsoe, at times," said Neil Olshey, the Clippers' vice president of basketball operations.
                        Source: L.A. Times

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                          I'd do this trade for sure, so long as the Raps didn't draft Williams, with one caveat. I agree also - and have proposed elsewhere in the forums - that Barbosa on the Clippers makes sense.

Barbosa is one of the best trade assets the team has, and that should be seen as more valuable than anything he might be able to contribute on the floor next season, given the current state/needs of the team. Having said that, the caveat would be that I would like to see what else Barbosa might be able to net.
                          I don't want you thinking I poached one of your ideas. I have thought about Barbosa to the Clippers a few times. The addition of Williams might make the idea less likely now - if it ever had legs before, that is. This trade was from January 13th.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post59388

Comment

no thanks

Comment

I like this deal for the raps and I'd do it in a second. In terms of getting Aminu away from the Clips, if they are serious about bringing in a top flight 3 and making the playoffs next year, this is actually a decent deal. Barbosa only has one year left, so your not taking any risk financially and you are getting a guy who can play either guard spot and has experience being the go to bench guy on a contender in the past.

My only concern with this deal is that, while the clips become a better team with Barbosa, is he the best return they can get for Aminu? A package of Kaman for Batum and Camby is good, but what couldd they get for Kaman and Aminu as a package? If they are serious about contending, I would think they'd try to get someone like Ariza, Odom, Artest, Josh Smith or a maybe even Igoudala, which would seem more likely if they offered a prospect like Aminu along with Kaman.
                              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X