Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chad Ford Mock Draft 1.0: Raptors select Enes Kanter (Enes v Jonas starts post #139)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man that music is ridiculous. To describe it as a soundtrack to the end of the world would understate the epicness it's going for. It's funny to add it a video compilation of a lanky white dude playing hoops.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      "He also doesn't rebound that well for someone with that great a wingspan. Not saying he's a bad rebounder, but he's not great for his size. I see him topping out at 7/8 rebounds per game."

The largest portion of his offense (27%) comes from this area according to Synergy Sports Technology, a testament to his length, quickness, timing, hands, activity level and instincts. He pulls down over five offensive rebounds for every 40 minutes he's on the floor, and watching him play, it's not difficult to tell why.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1MFmitIKZ
      http://www.draftexpress.com

sounds like a pretty good rebounder to be.

I wasn't stating that his length and shot blocking was his only tool as a defender. His real mobile for a 7 footer and has way better lateral quickness than Kanter and his a great rebounder. I think at worse he could be a Joackim Noah(with a better shot) and a player like that can benefit the raptors way more than another score-first player.
      Again, if you look at what I said in the quote (and I added the quotation marks for clarity), I didn't say he'd be a bad rebounder. If you consider the wingspans of some of the top rebounders in the league (Kevin Love 6'11"-ish, Reggie Evans 7'2"-ish), you'd expect Valanciunas with his much superior wingspan to potentially be even better, but as we all know by now, rebounding is part length, part instinct/timing and part effort. He's going to have a much harder time in the NBA.

That 27% of his offensive game comes from offensive boards is irrelevant to how good he is as a rebounder, and only says where much of his limited scoring (11 fga per 40 minutes) comes from. And his 4.8 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes is not that useful in a vacuum. Do consider that in the same 40 minutes, he would have collected over 8 personal fouls. Watch that be an even bigger problem in the NBA.

And your projection is a bit ridiculous. At worst he can be a better Noah? Seriously? Even actual scouts would temper their expectations a little. If scouts thought Valanciunas was at worst a rich man's Noah, you'd see him being considered at #1 overall in this draft. Worst case scenario being a rich man's Saer Sene would be far more realistic.

"[...] is a physical specimen in the truest sense, with the type of attributes that would put him in a rare class in the NBA right off the bat. Standing 7 feet tall, he has terrific size for the center position, with a 7’8.5’’ wingspan that will make him the longest player in the league [...] isn’t particularly bulky at this point in time, but his frame is good enough to lead you to believe that he’ll put on all weight he’ll ever need in his upper and lower body."

Just wanted to highlight the last part because much of the talk about Valanciunas has been the same way.
      Last edited by Quixotic; Fri May 13, 2011, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6540086

Chad ford talking to Enes Kanter
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• For anyone who feels like Kanter did something 'wrong' or 'shameful' to deserve being kicked out of the NCAA, have a listen to John Calipari's summary of the situation, "He accepted money from NO ONE except for his DAD."

Last edited by Joey; Sat May 14, 2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Not that I think Chad Ford is an excellent scout, but as there's so little information about Kanter, it's interesting to hear what people have to say:

While legitimate questions remain about the loss of two critical years of game development, Kanter possesses virtually all the qualities NBA teams are looking for in bigs, especially for a kid who is one of the youngest players in this year's draft.

He's big (he measured a shade below 6-foot-11 in shoes with a 7-1 wingspan at the Hoop Summit), has a NBA body, and uses his strength around the basket. He has a relentless motor on the boards and has excellent footwork for an 18-year-old big man. He's also gotten in terrific shape in Chicago and appears much more explosive than we thought last year. At the Hoop Summit, Kanter was nursing a back injury and could barely get off the floor. In workouts here at ATTACK, Kanter showed he had no problem playing over the rim. While he's no Blake Griffin, he's not a stiff either.

Kanter also showed the ability to step out and hit everything from 18-foot jumpers to NBA 3s. While I don't think his primary role will be to stretch the defense in the NBA, he has the ability.

[...]

While I initially believed that Kanter's year off would hurt his draft stock, I'm not longer concerned after talking with a number of NBA execs. Virtually every team I spoke with has him as a top-five prospect on their board. A few told me they believe, had he played at Kentucky this year, he may have been the favorite to go No. 1 overall.

He still might have a chance to go No. 1 overall if the Washington Wizards get the No. 1 pick. While we currently have them taking Derrick Williams No. 1 in our Mock Draft Lottery, a well-placed source said Kanter would be in the conversation. The Detroit Pistons and the Golden State Warriors also have needs that could place Kanter in the mix. But after Kyrie Irving and Williams are off the table, I'm not sure there's a player with more upside in this Draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?...aft&id=6555985
            Last edited by Quixotic; Mon May 16, 2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Quixotic wrote: View Post
              Not that I think Chad Ford is an excellent scout, but as there's so little information about Kanter, it's interesting to hear what people have to say:
              Interesting read. Ya, he's probably longer and more of an athlete than many though, but he's still European. I mean, what more do you need to know?
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Interesting read. Ya, he's probably longer and more of an athlete than many though, but he's still European. I mean, what more do you need to know?
                Great point Tim. Why should I bother reading about how good he is, and how athletic and 'above the rim' he is, when I already know he's from Turkey. Which is actually half-Europe and half-Asia.
                And, I mean, we all know what they say about Asian Basketball players, right?... "they're not even as good as Europeans." or something like that anyway... DRAFT JIMMER! HE'S MORMOM!

ADD Ahem, sorry. Someone stole my keyboard.

Comment

• I did the espn nba draft lottery thingy and when the raptors win the #1 pick it always shows us choosing D Will. well anyway here is the link: http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2011/mockdraft

Try for your selves

Comment

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                    I did the espn nba draft lottery thingy and when the raptors win the #1 pick it always shows us choosing D Will. well anyway here is the link: http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2011/mockdraft

Try for your selves
                    Which wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't think.
                    DWill has a chance to be a very solid swingman, and that is a hole we need to fill. Perhaps not as glaring as our need for a Big man, but you take the Best Player available. Some feel that is DWill.

If he hadn't shown off his new found Jumpshot in the NCAA tournament, then I might be a bit more leary of picking him.

If we get the #1 pick, then I would NOT want to be Bryan Colangelo. That is going to be a VERY tough decision to make.
                    ...Or a very easy one.

ADD I got UTAH with the #1 pick, four times in a row, using that Lottery simulator.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Which wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't think.
                      DWill has a chance to be a very solid swingman, and that is a hole we need to fill. Perhaps not as glaring as our need for a Big man, but you take the Best Player available. Some feel that is DWill.

If he hadn't shown off his new found Jumpshot in the NCAA tournament, then I might be a bit more leary of picking him.

If we get the #1 pick, then I would NOT want to be Bryan Colangelo. That is going to be a VERY tough decision to make.
                      ...Or a very easy one.

ADD I got UTAH with the #1 pick, four times in a row, using that Lottery simulator.
                      we need to grab D Will and just tear it up in the playoffs.

Bayless*
                      Derozan
                      D Will*
                      Amir/Ed
                      Amir/Ed/Trade

*= Arizona

Now that is an explosive starting 5. With that line up we might need to stock up on some extra rims in the ACC.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Great point Tim. Why should I bother reading about how good he is, and how athletic and 'above the rim' he is, when I already know he's from Turkey. Which is actually half-Europe and half-Asia.
                        And, I mean, we all know what they say about Asian Basketball players, right?... "they're not even as good as Europeans." or something like that anyway... DRAFT JIMMER! HE'S MORMOM!

ADD Ahem, sorry. Someone stole my keyboard.
                        That's true! Turkey is the gateway to Asia, and all Asian big men get injured all the time. That seals it.

Of, and you can't draft Jimmer because Shawn Bradley was also a Mormon and he was a disappointment.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                          I did the espn nba draft lottery thingy and when the raptors win the #1 pick it always shows us choosing D Will. well anyway here is the link: http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2011/mockdraft

Try for your selves
                          It's not random. The way it works is that Ford has predicted how every team will pick no matter where they pick. You think the Raptors would change who they pick depending on who picks after them?
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Game from yesterday in the Lithuanian League Playoffs

JUST SKIP TOO 1:00 mark!

Other than the nasty dunk you see him always fighting down low for position on the offensive class. The kid has a motor and a nose for the ball(Just like ED). You put Ed Davis and Jonas V. in the front court you get extra possessions and great rim protecting. The team with the most possession usually win the the game. I know what your saying that's too skinny of a front court. That's why you sign a veteran center with girth at chip price(Jamal Magloire, Jason Collins, Kwame Brown, Narz Mohamed, Ryan Hollins, Dan Gadzuric all free agents serve able and chip). I really don't care if we can get scoring from the Center position but, a defense and rebounding presence are more important out of that Center position. That's why favor Jonas he has more of a defensive upside than Enes but, this has the upside to be a offensive threat.
                            Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue May 17, 2011, 01:49 AM.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?...aft&id=6555985

I got love for Enes Kanter too though. Read up on this article and watch the video to know the full story about the mysterious Big Man from Turkey.
                              Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue May 17, 2011, 02:27 AM.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• i think Leonard is exactly what the raps need when it comes to defence, rebounding, scoring, and toughness at the wing. I am not sure if i would take kanter or even irving given the choice. all depends on where we fall in the lottery. Leonard is the best player that is being overlooked

Comment

Working...
                                X