Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford Mock Draft 1.0: Raptors select Enes Kanter (Enes v Jonas starts post #139)

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, he's good. He didn't miss one shot!
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Damn, he's good. He didn't miss one shot!
    With ZERO video Editing as well! ... haha
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ateleast we have something to be excited about at #3.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting those vids Chr1st1anL.

The more I've been reading, watching, and thinking about Katner of late, the more I think he would be a good pick at 3 - possibly 2. I was, and still am, very high on Valanciunas and I do think Valanciunas has a higher ceiling. However three things are going for Kanter that Jonas lacks:

1) Kanter already has the size. A big part of Valanciunas is waiting for him to develop phyiscally - this most likely will happen but when?

2) Kanter is the better player right now it would appear. While Valanciunas may one day better, as of now he is not, in my opinion. What if he never develops? What if *gasp* I'm wrong? This really is a draft pick the Raptors cannot blow.

3) Kanter will definitely be playing in the NBA at the first opportunity - no contract hold ups, no haggling, nothing. Valanciunas, who knows the real situation there. I am not as confident his contract is a non-issue as I once thought.

As an aside in wrapping up here, I was surpised at Kanter's athleticism. That was not something displayed before.

Post Thanks / Like

Tank, thank you for posting the link to the article.

Some of my favourite quotes:

We walked out of the gym in Chicago pondering whether or not Enes could ultimately wind up as the No. 1 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft.
    “I love being here in Chicago. I’m 100 percent focused on basketball and getting in shape,” the excited Kanter explained. “I loved Kentucky, but now it is time for me to get ready for the NBA.”
    “They’ve been trying to get me in shape and I feel like I’m ready right now. I’m in great shape,” boasted the 18-year-old. “We are also working on my quickness and shot. In the NBA, I want to play both center and power forward. I want to be able to face-up and shoot the ball too.”
    When the big man stepped out beyond the NBA arc, he showed off a smooth release and had solid, but not spectacular results shooting 13/25 and 15/25 respectively. More importantly, Enes made considerable improvement speeding up the release of his shot and cleaning up the loose ends of his form. “We worked on my form a lot because I used to drop my left hand every time and now they yell at me ‘left hand up!’ each time I shoot,” explained Kanter with an infectious smile. “Before, my elbow was out a little bit when I shot. Now it’s not, and I’m shooting the ball much better.”
    I think others have made this point but I'll state it again: if Kanter is drafted, trading Bargnani does not need to return a C and I do think Bargnani could most definitely return some valuable assets. For all his flaws he is still a match up nightmare on offense and capable of 20PPG. Having a player who compliments him (Bogut or Cousins come to mind) only increases his value as he has never played with a true C or true brute big man.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no way I would draft him with his knee history.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Tank, thank you for posting the link to the article.

Some of my favourite quotes:
    I think others have made this point but I'll state it again: if Kanter is drafted, trading Bargnani does not need to return a C and I do think Bargnani could most definitely return some valuable assets. For all his flaws he is still a match up nightmare on offense and capable of 20PPG. Having a player who compliments him (Bogut or Cousins come to mind) only increases his value as he has never played with a true C or true brute big man.
    Oden.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    As has been discussed before, and I know I mentioned it, his medical exams would have to check out.

With that said, as has also been mentioned numerous times, where is the evidence he has knee issues? There has been nothing substantiated, nothing except rumours and whispers. The guy might have had tendenitis or pain from a growth spurt. The guy is 18 and 6'11".

To say he has "knee history" is not only misleading, at this point I would say it is false.

When medicals are held and knee issues arise, then I'd start looking elsewhere. Until that time, Kanter seems to be a great pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Oden.
    If healthy, why not. That is a big if though.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

And maybe you could tell us what this "knee history" is.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    As has been discussed before, and I know I mentioned it, his medical exams would have to check out.

With that said, as has also been mentioned numerous times, where is the evidence he has knee issues? There has been nothing substantiated, nothing except rumours and whispers. The guy might have had tendenitis or pain from a growth spurt. The guy is 18 and 6'11".

To say he has "knee history" is not only misleading, at this point I would say it is false.

When medicals are held and knee issues arise, then I'd start looking elsewhere. Until that time, Kanter seems to be a great pick.
    ok maybe I should rephrase myself. I think I have been tainted by too much NFL and the way they do business but I personally would not give guarantee money to any player who does not 100% clear the medical team. if there is any type of growth defect in his body I will not draft him, if the cartilage in his knees is not perfect I would not draft him, stress fractures, ligament damage, tissue damage... I would not draft him. The kid is nonathletic as it is injury will only slow him down further, he is good but not that good. PLUS there is already an existing separation in the locker room of this team.

Post Thanks / Like

This is from David Locke, the play-by-play guy for the Utah Jazz:

Commenting on this game only, he just looks super raw. I especially liked the sequence that runs from about 1:26 to 1:35, where Valanciunas displays his butterfly goalie skills.

Even from the highlight mixes with only his best plays, the only time he looks "smooth" is on the alley-oops, but that doesn't really say much.

Post Thanks / Like

ok maybe I should rephrase myself. I think I have been tainted by too much NFL and the way they do business but I personally would not give guarantee money to any player who does not 100% clear the medical team. if there is any type of growth defect in his body I will not draft him, if the cartilage in his knees is not perfect I would not draft him, stress fractures, ligament damage, tissue damage... I would not draft him. The kid is nonathletic as it is injury will only slow him down further, he is good but not that good. PLUS there is already an existing separation in the locker room of this team.
    Picking someone only when they are cleared by the medical team is an obvious point, no? I don't think anyone here is saying pick Kanter no matter what. It's always pick so and so if they check out.

And you've got to be kidding me about the "existing separation in the locker room." I'm glad front offices don't actually listen to their fans on roster decisions. Talent is talent, and a bad team doesn't need more reasons/excuses for not getting top-rate players. As it is, some people would have you believe we can't have American players because they'll always leave us, we can't have European players because the American players don't get along with them, and we can't have non-American, non-European players because people will call them Europeans anyway. Popovich must be an amazing coach to get his assortment of Euros and non-Euros to play nice. Guess we should just scrap the team.
    Last edited by Quixotic; Wed May 11th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There has never, to my knowledge, been anything like the bolded rumoured or reported. This would be an obvious red flag, if true and I would agree with you. However, again, there has been nothing ever confirmed.

Non-athletic? He is no Tyson Chandler or DeAndre Jordan that is for sure but he is fundamentally sound (which makes up for a lot) and is something many bigs lack. He is much more athletic than the comment gives him credit for. He can touch the top of the box and dunk from the foul line - that already bests a number of successful bigs in the league.

An existing separation in the locker room can happen anywhere. I have a feeling the separation in the locker room has more to do with defensive liabilities and on court/playing time double standards and expectations rather than places of birth.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you watch those Videos of him posted above? You're saying this guy is non-athletic? Not sure I agree with that at all.

What do you mean by 'existing seperation' in the locker room?
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's referring to the speculation here:

http://www.raptorsdigest.com/could-e...y-the-raptors/

Big deal. You're not going to find any non-winning team without "cliques". Whether its native English speakers vs non-native English speakers, new players vs players who have been on the team for a while, hard-workers vs slackers, good defensive players vs bad defensive players, those with playing time vs those without, or extroverts vs introverts, you're not going to find 15 guys in a locker room all doing a perpetual circle jerk while singing kumbaya when they're not winning 100% of their games.

Post Thanks / Like

"Could Enes Kanter Destroy the Raptors?"

That is the DUMBEST headline for an Article I've ever read.
    Thanks for clearing that up though.

I don't think the players are as ignorant and racist as many think.
    If the guy can play then he will respected. If Bargnani has issues fitting in, it has nothing to do with the fact that he's European, and everything to do with the fact that he doesn't play as hard as ANYONE else on the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

listen I am not saying don't draft the kid period under no circumstances, I am just extremely concerned about 1. drafting a 18 year old 2. drafting someone that hasn't played in a year for *cough* taking money he is not suppose to 3. has whispers about knee issues and 4. "may" end up having conflicts with the core group we are trying to build around.

Whether you guys like it or not there has been problems in the locker room when it comes to culture, I didn't put it there so don't get upset at me for bringing it up as a concern BC was the person who came out and said there were/are issues.

Also we have had one of the worst cases of bad luck I have seen when it comes to injuries it's getting pretty stupid at this point so forgive me for being critical.

forgive me once again, "fundamentally sound (which makes up for a lot)" this is the NBA, not college (which he didn't play in), not high school, or nike hoop summit for someone who is not very athletic at 6'10 in the NBA he better be able to create separation.
    Last edited by grindhouse; Wed May 11th, 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

listen I am not saying don't draft the kid period under no circumstances, I am just extremely concerned about 1. drafting a 18 year old 2. drafting someone that hasn't played in a year for *cough* taking money he is not suppose to 3. has whispers about knee issues and 4. "may" end up having conflicts with the core group we are trying to build around.

Whether you guys like it or not there has been problems in the locker room when it comes to culture, I didn't put it there so don't get upset at me for bringing it up as a concern BC was the person who came out and said there were/are issues.

Also we have had one of the worst cases of bad luck I have seen when it comes to injuries it's getting pretty stupid at this point so forgive me for being critical.

forgive me once again, "fundamentally sound (which makes up for a lot)" this is the NBA, not college (which he didn't play in), not high school, or nike hoop summit for someone who is not very athletic at 6'10 in the NBA he better be able to create separation.
    You are forgiven unfortunately you are not going to be taken seriously from this point forward in the conversation.

Post Thanks / Like

lol

Thread Information