X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIN's Unprotected 2012 pick from LAC

Word is the Clip's are dangling this out there. See:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19701

The goal? Find some combination of trades that brings this pick to TO. From the article it seems like they want a Vet 3 with shooting skills. Raps don't have one, so, it's going to have to be creative (ie, 3-way). They can absorb 5.3m in salary, but would likely need to take back a player with bigger salary in order to make it worth giving up a pick that has a big a shot as any to be next year's first overall.

I had a proposal, posted it, then realized too late that it was wildly impossible due to salary restrictions. So this little blurb here is the edit to delete it.
    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Fri May 6, 2011, 04:28 PM.

I'd love to have that pick. I'm not very good at this, but how about this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=62ayo78

Lakers: Calderon
    - Fisher is almost near retiring, and Calderon can step right in. Plus there is a connection with Gasol. Calderon would be great in the triangle.

Clippers: Artest & Fisher
    - Fisher is just to make the trade work, but let's assume he will retire. If not, he can stay in LA where his family is.
    - Artest is the veteran SF that can shoot (and play D).

Raptors: Gomes & Aminu & Draft pick.
    - Aminu is a lottery pick with great upside.
    - Gomes is a veteran SF. I'd rather have Foye, but seems like Gomes would be much easier to get if we expect the Clips to get rid of that Minnesota pick.

This is basically Artest for Gomes, Aminue and the Pick. Which looks like a lot to give up. Instead of Artest you can use Odom. But I'm not sure if the Lakers would give him up for Calderon.

Comment

I don't see where we can get involved and be the team getting the pick. (and I don't know what the writer is talking about if LAC wants a leader who has won in the playoffs, that's not Granger). If Philly really does get rid of Iguodala I would be surprised. It would free up money for them to re-sign both TYoung and SHawes (both of which they have indicated they will do the qualifying offers to), and we can help absorb salaries (Foye and Gomes) if that rewards us with the pick, but Philly could still free enough taking back Foye and Gomes themselves?

Maybe they will buy in to a Bargnani as a SF pitch? They did talk about the length of the Lakers with Odom, Gasol and Bynum.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        I'd love to have that pick. I'm not very good at this, but how about this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=62ayo78

Lakers: Calderon
        - Fisher is almost near retiring, and Calderon can step right in. Plus there is a connection with Gasol. Calderon would be great in the triangle.

Clippers: Artest & Fisher
        - Fisher is just to make the trade work, but let's assume he will retire. If not, he can stay in LA where his family is.
        - Artest is the veteran SF that can shoot (and play D).

Raptors: Gomes & Aminu & Draft pick.
        - Aminu is a lottery pick with great upside.
        - Gomes is a veteran SF. I'd rather have Foye, but seems like Gomes would be much easier to get if we expect the Clips to get rid of that Minnesota pick.

This is basically Artest for Gomes, Aminue and the Pick. Which looks like a lot to give up. Instead of Artest you can use Odom. But I'm not sure if the Lakers would give him up for Calderon.
        I was toying with Artest and the Lakers as well. I agree, unlike some others I think Calderon would do well in LA with Gasol, and I think the Lakers may sour on Artest with Jackson leaving and some of this year's antics. Really doubt they trade Fisher though as Kobe would go nuts since Fisher has big leadership respect with Kobe. The other caveat here is will the Lakers and Clippers deal with each other?? If they do, the Lakers take the pick and skip us out of it. Or we have to suck up Walton's contract and bench warming injured all the time ass.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
          Or we have to suck up Walton's contract and bench warming injured all the time ass.
          For a top pick in the '12 draft, I'd take Walton's contract. He has only 2 years left. I know we are rebuilding but two high draft picks in '12 would be rockin!

Here's another trade where we take Walton:
          http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3qjj869

Just replace Gomes with Walton, and we keep all of our TPE.

Comment

The other caveat here is will the Lakers and Clippers deal with each other?? If they do, the Lakers take the pick and skip us out of it. Or we have to suck up Walton's contract and bench warming injured all the time ass.
            In no way will the Clippers ever give up a high-potential first overall pick to the Lakers unless there really is some kind of NBA conspiracy. If this happens I personally guarantee at least half of the league's owners and players would lose their minds.

Now, having just said that, I fully expect this to turn out to be the case...

With regards to the last part of that quote, I have no problem with taking back salary that has no chance of getting off the bench, so long as real pieces come with it. That is, I'd take Walton for a chance at a first overall pick next year. It's not my money, and cap space doesn't do the Raps much good to begin with, seeing how rare it is for quality F/A's to sign in T.O.

Now, here's a way this could work:

To Toronto: Ryan Gomes, Randy Foye, *see below*, MIN's 2012 pick
            To LAL: Jose Calderon, Al Farouq Aminu
            To LAC: Ron Artest, Leandro Barbosa

*Luke Walton or Derek Fisher

Why Toronto does this: to get MIN's pick, basically. Both Foye and Gomes will be serviceable backups (Gomes is an average defender and a pretty good distance shooter), Foye's contract is expiring.
            Why LAL does this: they get Aminu, who could develop into a great SF for the Lakers, and gives them desperately needed youth. Calderon would be an absolutely perfect fit for the Lakers at the point.
            Why LAC does this: both Artest and Barbosa provide a veteran presence. They give different looks and know how to win. LAC has a legit 1-5, an excellent 6th man in Barbosa, and good prospect in Bledsoe. They also preserve their 5.3m in cap space which they can use to find a good backup at the 3, if not a starter.

Comment

I like Barbosa. If we can get Aminu and the pick, then giddy-up.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                In no way will the Clippers ever give up a high-potential first overall pick to the Lakers unless there really is some kind of NBA conspiracy. If this happens I personally guarantee at least half of the league's owners and players would lose their minds.

Now, having just said that, I fully expect this to turn out to be the case...

With regards to the last part of that quote, I have no problem with taking back salary that has no chance of getting off the bench, so long as real pieces come with it. That is, I'd take Walton for a chance at a first overall pick next year. It's not my money, and cap space doesn't do the Raps much good to begin with, seeing how rare it is for quality F/A's to sign in T.O.

Now, here's a way this could work:

To Toronto: Ryan Gomes, Randy Foye, *see below*, MIN's 2012 pick
                To LAL: Jose Calderon, Al Farouq Aminu
                To LAC: Ron Artest, Leandro Barbosa

*Luke Walton or Derek Fisher

Why Toronto does this: to get MIN's pick, basically. Both Foye and Gomes will be serviceable backups (Gomes is an average defender and a pretty good distance shooter), Foye's contract is expiring.
                Why LAL does this: they get Aminu, who could develop into a great SF for the Lakers, and gives them desperately needed youth. Calderon would be an absolutely perfect fit for the Lakers at the point.
                Why LAC does this: both Artest and Barbosa provide a veteran presence. They give different looks and know how to win. LAC has a legit 1-5, an excellent 6th man in Barbosa, and good prospect in Bledsoe. They also preserve their 5.3m in cap space which they can use to find a good backup at the 3, if not a starter.
                I really like this idea, and I think all teams would go for this. I think Barbosa would fit in very well in LAC and Artest would be solid as well. Calderon and Aminu would definitely be great in LA, Bynum/Odom/Gasol will make up for any defensive liabilities as they do for Fisher, and as Aminu grows in I see the Lakers playing Kobe/Barnes at the SF, with Brown playing a lot more 2 going forward.

It would be Walton coming, not Fisher, and I agree taking back Walton if we get this pick, and Foye is a solid backup PG.

It may have to be Bargnani going but that's ok too. We draft Kanter this year, maybe Gilchrest/Mcadoo/Barnes/Miller next year plus Myck Kabongo etc.

As a Lakers fan and a Raptors fan, I would do this trade. BC though, I doubt it.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  I like Barbosa. If we can get Aminu and the pick, then giddy-up.
                  Doubt the Lakers do it without Aminu going to them though.

Comment

barg for kaman + 2012 minny pick?

Comment

f91ultra wrote: View Post
                      barg for kaman + 2012 minny pick?
                      Problem there tough is
                      1. Kaman is an all star Bargnani is not. No way they give us the pick too.
                      2. The article attached at the beginning of the article states they want to keep Kaman.

Comment

Perhaps this:

LAC: Trevor Ariza, David Andersen
                        NOLA: Andrea Bargnani
                        Toronto: Aminu, Foye, Pick.
                        http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3txtwgd

Comment

Perhaps this:

LAC: Trevor Ariza, David Andersen
                          Toronto: Aminu, Foye, Pick.
                          http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3txtwgd
                          Or
                          LAC: Trevor Ariza, David Andersen, Barbosa
                          Toronto: Aminu, Foye, Pick, Gomes

Comment

Ok follow me here

NOTE: Barbosa is included to LAC cannot show on linked trade but still works monetarily.
                            http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4x7zzdu

LAC: Trevor Ariza, LBarbosa. Get their experienced, solid defender floor spreading SF, and Barbosa would, imo, fit in very well with their team.

PORT: Jose Calderon, David Andersen, Amir Johnson, if need to juice more add Alabi. Jose is a solid backup PG, Andersen provides needed depth and hustle at the C, Amir is a much needed backup to Aldridge and a rotation big.

NOLA: ABargnani, RFernandez. Floor spread, Bargs playing aside Okafor, no PF under contract with West opting out and Landry contract up, and need a solid SG. BIG needs for this coming season.

TOR: NBatum, MCamby, RFoye, RGomes, Pick. Why do we get the pick? - we are the only team that can suck up salary in this group pre-July1, LAC gets what they want and a needed backup SG, NOLA gets what they need, Port uses two of their many wings to fill needs.

Draft: Kanter

PG: JBayless(3), RFoye (4.2)
                            SG: Derozan(2.6), 2 of AAfflalo/KAzubuike/WChandler/DCook/CJ Miles/JR Smith/SWeems/James Jones.
                            SF: NBatum(2.1), JJ(1.8), Kleiza (4.6)
                            PF: ED(2), RGomes(4), re-sign Dorsey 1yr for safety net?
                            C: Kanter(4), Camby(9.2), Alabi(.8)
                            Salary: ($38.3M before free agents!!) ~$45M.This leaves lots of necessary room for re-upping DD, ED, Batum, etc. Even money to chase after DJordan if possible, TPE could be used for another backup C if no DJordan (JThompson)

2012 draft have 2 1st rnd picks and 1 2nd rnder for PG, PF, C choices.

Comment

Ok follow me here

NOTE: Barbosa is included to LAC cannot show on linked trade but still works monetarily.
                              http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4x7zzdu

LAC: Trevor Ariza, LBarbosa. Get their experienced, solid defender floor spreading SF, and Barbosa would, imo, fit in very well with their team.

PORT: Jose Calderon, David Andersen, Amir Johnson, if need to juice more add Alabi. Jose is a solid backup PG, Andersen provides needed depth and hustle at the C, Amir is a much needed backup to Aldridge and a rotation big.

NOLA: ABargnani, RFernandez. Floor spread, Bargs playing aside Okafor, no PF under contract with West opting out and Landry contract up, and need a solid SG. BIG needs for this coming season.

TOR: NBatum, MCamby, RFoye, RGomes, Pick. Why do we get the pick? - we are the only team that can suck up salary in this group pre-July1, LAC gets what they want and a needed backup SG, NOLA gets what they need, Port uses two of their many wings to fill needs.
                              Hell I would do this trade even without the pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X