Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Draft Hindsight Thread: Missed Opportunties (2001-Present)

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    you mean the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons that happened because of the vince trade?
    I'm not sure how those seasons happened BECAUSE of the Vince trade, especially when one of the 33 win seasons took place WITH Vince. And the next season the team was 7-13 when Vince was traded, to finish with 33 wins.

    And by the way, before the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons was a 24 win season.

    And unless you're agreeing with me, none of that has anything to do with Colangelo.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure how those seasons happened BECAUSE of the Vince trade, especially when one of the 33 win seasons took place WITH Vince. And the next season the team was 7-13 when Vince was traded, to finish with 33 wins.

    And by the way, before the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons was a 24 win season.

    And unless you're agreeing with me, none of that has anything to do with Colangelo.
    Haha, enlightment just got... enlightened. =)

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Burlington Ontario
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Haha, enlightment just got... enlightened. =)
    lol nice

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    just for the record not trying to criticize bc but just pointing out our last 10 years has been pretty bad as a whole.

  5. #25
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Colangelo has drafted well in Toronto. Ed Davis, DeMar DeRozan and Andrea Bargnani are all good players in their own ways. The only players he's taken in Toronto who have not succeeded have been second rounders Nathan Jawai and PJ Tucker. The majority of second round selections in general fail. It's uncommon for second rounders to stick in the league. I know some do, and someone may feel compelled to list them but that far majority fail. Colangelo has one of the best draft histories in the league. It's one area where he's excelled.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What I find interesting about that list is that, of all the players the team has drafted in the past 10 years, only 3 players are still on the team, and it's quite possible - if not likely - that one of those 3 will not be here when the season starts.

  7. #27
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah. I think Ed and DeMar are long term keepers. The Raptors need to continue to treat them well and build a strong group with little turnover around them. For example, if Bosh had a strong team that performed relatively well with little turnover he may have looked past the off court temptations of Miami and signed an extension. A strong locker room has untold power.

    Players don't leave the Raptors because it's the Raptors, they leave the Raptors because the team is not fulfilling their career aspirations.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter Deadallus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yeah. I think Ed and DeMar are long term keepers. The Raptors need to continue to treat them well and build a strong group with little turnover around them. For example, if Bosh had a strong team that performed relatively well with little turnover he may have looked past the off court temptations of Miami and signed an extension. A strong locker room has untold power.

    Players don't leave the Raptors because it's the Raptors, they leave the Raptors because the team is not fulfilling their career aspirations.
    Don't fool yourself, there is nothing that could have or would have kept Bosh in Raptors uni.
    Deadallus

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    What I find interesting about that list is that, of all the players the team has drafted in the past 10 years, only 3 players are still on the team, and it's quite possible - if not likely - that one of those 3 will not be here when the season starts.
    I wonder how other teams compare to that

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote nubreed000 wrote: View Post
    I wonder how other teams compare to that
    Since 2001? I'll just do playoff teams (bracketed number is number of players who've always been on that team - if a player has since been reacquired after having been traded. those players are represented by with a *).

    76ers: 6 (Iguodala, Speights, Williams, Turner, Holliday, Young)
    Grizzlies: 5(4) (Battier*, Conley, Vasquez, Young, Henry)
    Thunder: 5 (Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Collison)
    Pacers: 5 (Granger, George, Hansbrough, Price, Stephenson)
    Spurs: 4 (Parker, Hill, Blair, Splitter)
    Hawks: 4 (Smith, Williams, Horford, Teague)
    Blazers: 3 (Armon Johnson, Mills, Oden)
    Knicks: 3 (Douglas, Fields, Rautins)
    Celtics: 3(1) (Green*, D.West*, Bradley)
    Bulls: 3 (Noah, Rose, Gibson)
    Magic: 2 (Howard, Reddick)
    Lakers: 2 (Bynum, Ebanks)
    Hornets: 2 (Paul, West)
    Heat: 1 (Wade)
    Nuggets: 0
    Mavericks: 0

  11. #31
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Since 2001? I'll just do playoff teams (bracketed number is number of players who've always been on that team - if a player has since been reacquired after having been traded. those players are represented by with a *).

    76ers: 6 (Iguodala, Speights, Williams, Turner, Holliday, Young)
    Grizzlies: 5(4) (Battier*, Conley, Vasquez, Young, Henry)
    Thunder: 5 (Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Collison)
    Pacers: 5 (Granger, George, Hansbrough, Price, Stephenson)
    Spurs: 4 (Parker, Hill, Blair, Splitter)
    Hawks: 4 (Smith, Williams, Horford, Teague)
    Blazers: 3 (Armon Johnson, Mills, Oden)
    Knicks: 3 (Douglas, Fields, Rautins)
    Celtics: 3(1) (Green*, D.West*, Bradley)
    Bulls: 3 (Noah, Rose, Gibson)
    Magic: 2 (Howard, Reddick)
    Lakers: 2 (Bynum, Ebanks)
    Hornets: 2 (Paul, West)
    Heat: 1 (Wade)
    Nuggets: 0
    Mavericks: 0
    Below I have taken some of the teams mentioned above who are known for drafting well and I have counted the number of player drafted by them between 2001-2009 who no longer play for that team:

    Blazers: 20
    Bulls: 19
    Thunder: 18
    Spurs: 15

    The Raptors' count is 11.

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    why not make a thread about the wasted picks raptors made!!!

  13. #33
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's what this thread essentially is... By the way, welcome to the board.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Since 2001? I'll just do playoff teams (bracketed number is number of players who've always been on that team - if a player has since been reacquired after having been traded. those players are represented by with a *).

    76ers: 6 (Iguodala, Speights, Williams, Turner, Holliday, Young)
    Grizzlies: 5(4) (Battier*, Conley, Vasquez, Young, Henry)
    Thunder: 5 (Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Collison)
    Pacers: 5 (Granger, George, Hansbrough, Price, Stephenson)
    Spurs: 4 (Parker, Hill, Blair, Splitter)
    Hawks: 4 (Smith, Williams, Horford, Teague)
    Blazers: 3 (Armon Johnson, Mills, Oden)
    Knicks: 3 (Douglas, Fields, Rautins)
    Celtics: 3(1) (Green*, D.West*, Bradley)
    Bulls: 3 (Noah, Rose, Gibson)
    Magic: 2 (Howard, Reddick)
    Lakers: 2 (Bynum, Ebanks)
    Hornets: 2 (Paul, West)
    Heat: 1 (Wade)
    Nuggets: 0
    Mavericks: 0
    Good idea but I think you're missing a few, especially the Blazers come to mind. And I would include Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo (I know Mayo was a draft day trade).
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Good idea but I think you're missing a few, especially the Blazers come to mind. And I would include Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo (I know Mayo was a draft day trade).
    I specifically didn't include draft day trades, because I didn't feel like spending the extra time to do so. The above list is explicitly players drafted and playing for the same team. Guys like Brandon Roy, Nicholas Batum, OJ Mayo, Kevin Love, Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol....have only ever played for one team, but it's not on the team that drafted them.

    It would be interesting to see a separate list of the players sent off in draft-day trades since 2001 that are still on the team they were traded to. All of the ones I mentioned above are pretty excellent.
    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Thu May 12th, 2011 at 01:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •