Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: DeRozan DimeMag.com Interview

  1. #1
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default DeRozan DimeMag.com Interview

    Dime: What are your plans for the summer?
    DeMar DeRozan: For the summerÖrest a little bit, hang out with my family a little bit, than back to work. Iím going back to Cali to chill for a little bit, see where it goes from there.

    Dime: Whatís one thing the Raptors need to build on going into next season?
    DD: We showed spurts this season that we can play with the best teams in the NBA. We just got to be consistent with it and just go out there and go at each and every one of our opponents like they are one of the best teams in the NBA. Just stay more consistent, and once we get that down pat, weíll be alright.

    Dime: Heading into the NBA Draft, what players excite you? Who do you think would fit in with your current Raptors squad?
    DD: Itís tough to say, but I like Kemba Walkerís game. I played against him in high school. Just the way he plays, I think heíll make a major impact in the League using screen and rolls and being able to shoot and break down guards and everything. I like Kyrie Irving too, heíll definitely be big. But I think there are just a handful of guys though.

    Dime: Whatís your take on players opting to stay one more year in college instead of declaring this year?
    DD: I think itís good because with the situation thatís going on heading into the summer, we donít even know whatís going on. I think itís best for a lot of kids Ė Iím saying kids like I wasnít in college, Iím still 21. (laughs). A lot of guys can go back to school and see what happens and it gives them another opportunity to better themselves.

    Dime: What are your thoughts on the impending lockout?
    DD: Trying not to think about it too much. I hope it donít last long, but thatís something Iíll think about once the deadline gets closer.
    Source: DimeMag.com

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sounds like DeMar thinks his squad's guard play is weak, they need a impact PG immediately to be more consistent, and it seems like they need a PG that will make the team better. But it looks like we will get top 3 pick this year and Kemba is below top 3 so all the raptors can do is hope for #1 pick this year, or trade what ever pick we get down and get a Brandon Knight or Jan Vesley.

  3. #3
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Andrea Bargnani will be on the block this summer. In Denver Raymond Felton has come out and basically said that if he doesn't get his starting job back he wants out. The Nuggets don't seem to want to give him back that roll so we should all know where that's going. The Nuggets are probably going to lose Nene if his own comments are any indication. On top of that, K-Mart is a UFA and so we start to see that in Denver they have friction at the PG spot and a rapidly forming hole at FC.

    Denver also has one of Andrea's best friends and on top of that, they have a former Colangelo sidekick running the show.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Andrea Bargnani will be on the block this summer. In Denver Raymond Felton has come out and basically said that if he doesn't get his starting job back he wants out. The Nuggets don't seem to want to give him back that roll so we should all know where that's going. The Nuggets are probably going to lose Nene if his own comments are any indication. On top of that, K-Mart is a UFA and so we start to see that in Denver they have friction at the PG spot and a rapidly forming hole at FC.

    Denver also has one of Andrea's best friends and on top of that, they have a former Colangelo sidekick running the show.
    Andrea for Felton works after July 1. Question is.. what then happens to Calderon? He'd have to get moved, because I don't think Felton would want to stick around in a 3-prong PG situation.

  5. #5
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it's an foregone conclusion that Calderon is no longer a long term option for the Raptors. Colangelo got caught trying to trade Calderon already once. The draft is the first domino that begins the end of Calderon and Bargnani in Toronto.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3km4avx
    Plus we get Denver's pick this year 22th overall.
    Good for Denver because they get 2 starting PF's in Bargs and Amir, Damien James is solid SF.
    Toronto get some cap relief, they get a starting PG, and a starting SF.
    New Jersey get solid back up center for Lopez.
    Last edited by e2thed; Wed May 11th, 2011 at 12:53 PM.

  7. #7
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think the Nuggets would do that. Blockbusters are rare. I think you would more likely see a simple one for one, Bargnani for Felton if it went down. Just like Colangelo moved Ford for Villanueva five years ago.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    and just for jokes Alabi + 2012 2nd rounder for Erden and Harangody

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Or you could just swap Calderon for Felton in a straight deal.

    Felton comes in as the starter. Bayless gets another year at the backup spot. Both contracts expire at the end of next season, so for Bayless it would be a final year to prove he can become the long term starter. For Felton it's the same. This would have to happen after the draft, of course, just in case the Raps were able to land Irving.

    Potential small-ball lineup of Felton, Barbosa, Derozan, J.Johnson and Davis. Fast-break city.

    Denver gets a pure PG to backup Lawson. No controversy here. Lawson as the starting slasher/scorer, Calderon comes in and creates open looks all day long for Afflalo, Chandler, Harrington and Gallinari spotting up to rain down the threes.

    Win-win as I see it.

    Apologies for continuing the off-topic conversation.
    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Wed May 11th, 2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Apologies.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3km4avx
    Plus we get Denver's pick this year 22th overall.
    Good for Denver because they get 2 starting PF's in Bargs and Amir, Damien James is solid SF.
    Toronto get some cap relief, they get a starting PG, and a starting SF.
    New Jersey get solid back up center for Lopez.
    No offense but I don't like this trade. Barg's for Felton is a pretty even trade imo, so we are then trading Amir for Galanari which I don't think is a good idea. Amir is on a reasonable 5 year contract where he can be the back up PF if Davis comes into his own. Galanari only has 3 years left on his deal... If I a gm I want the guy with the longer contract is it is reasonable.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Orillia
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Or you could just swap Calderon for Felton in a straight deal.

    Felton comes in as the starter. Bayless gets another year at the backup spot. Both contracts expire at the end of next season, so for Bayless it would be a final year to prove he can become the long term starter. For Felton it's the same. This would have to happen after the draft, of course, just in case the Raps were able to land Irving.

    Potential small-ball lineup of Felton, Barbosa, Derozan, J.Johnson and Davis. Fast-break city.

    Denver gets a pure PG to backup Lawson. No controversy here. Lawson as the starting slasher/scorer, Calderon comes in and creates open looks all day long for Afflalo, Chandler, Harrington and Gallinari spotting up to rain down the threes.

    Win-win as I see it.

    Apologies for continuing the off-topic conversation.
    I like this, and it really does make sense for both teams. Hopefully Felton can keep belly aching and make this trade a reality

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Andrea Bargnani will be on the block this summer. In Denver Raymond Felton has come out and basically said that if he doesn't get his starting job back he wants out. The Nuggets don't seem to want to give him back that roll so we should all know where that's going. The Nuggets are probably going to lose Nene if his own comments are any indication. On top of that, K-Mart is a UFA and so we start to see that in Denver they have friction at the PG spot and a rapidly forming hole at FC.

    Denver also has one of Andrea's best friends and on top of that, they have a former Colangelo sidekick running the show.
    His recent comments are a 180 from comments during the season. He is working the media to secure a large(r) payday.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No mention of "defense" I see. Did DD not get the ball enough?

  14. #14
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What do you know...he thinks highly of Kemba Walker. What an idiot he must be...

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    on top of Jenna Jameson
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Which team is Derozan GM of? Or is he a talent scout?

    I think quite simply DD is familiar with Kemba from playing in the 2008 McDonald's All American game along with Ed Davis. He was also impressed with his play against Pitt in March Madness this year as evidenced by his tweet. I think DD is pretty focused on his own game and is no expert on the relative skills of current draft entries.

    Kemba is a good player. But is he right for TO? And do they make elevator shoes for the NBA? Is arm extension surgery even legal in North America? My answer is no to all of the above.
    Last edited by RaptorDan; Thu May 12th, 2011 at 12:06 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    What do you know...he thinks highly of Kemba Walker. What an idiot he must be...
    I don't think you're an idiot, but just felt I should point out that DeRozan's praise of Walker is hardly scientific (it's not like he rated him against all the other potential lottery picks), nor has DeRozan established a keen eye for who will and who won't be a star in the NBA. I have a feeling if he was asked about many of the other picks, he'd either have nice things to say about them or he'd say he wasn't familiar with them.

    That said, I believe Kemba will have a long, fruitful NBA career, but he's someone that, had this draft not been so weak, I'd be more comfortable with in the 7-10 slots. I don't see him as someone who Raptors' fans won't grow dissatisfied with. Would much rather gamble a tiny bit more on someone who, if he pans out, will be everything we've wanted. This is just my opinion of course, but I think he's going to be either a solid starter on a bad or average team, but a 6th man at best on a contender.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie footarez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sofia,Bulgaria
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3km4avx
    Plus we get Denver's pick this year 22th overall.
    Good for Denver because they get 2 starting PF's in Bargs and Amir, Damien James is solid SF.
    Toronto get some cap relief, they get a starting PG, and a starting SF.
    New Jersey get solid back up center for Lopez.
    and give up Amir for another italian?I really like Felton but not so much to do such trade

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote footarez wrote: View Post
    and give up Amir for another italian?I really like Felton but not so much to do such trade
    Gallinari is more than just an italian, hes sheets on his competition.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Burlington Ontario
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i know this is off topic. but is there anyone on this forum who plays NBA 2k11? i am thinking of opening a thread for that but i want to know who plays it.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptors_ wrote: View Post
    i know this is off topic. but is there anyone on this forum who plays NBA 2k11? i am thinking of opening a thread for that but i want to know who plays it.
    I've been known to drop the delicious dime from time to time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •