Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NBL Canada to launch in 2011!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NBL Canada to launch in 2011!

Since this literally does not belong in any other forum, I'm putting it here.

http://tsn.ca/other_sports/story/?id=365515

On Thursday, May 12, 2011, Canadian sports history was made when the nation's first ever professional basketball league was founded.

Andre Levingston and Ian McCarthy, who each own basketball franchises in the Maritimes, founded the league after their successes demonstrated the vast opportunity within the Canadian sports landscape.

"We're extremely excited to found a league that consists of committed, fiscally responsible owners who will operate their teams with the mandates of providing a high level of entertainment for fans and sponsors, and making a difference in their communities," said Levingston.

In addition to providing the highest quality of professional basketball in Canada outside of the NBA, the league will also serve to develop young Canadian athletes. Levingston says the NBL will hold a stipulation that each team is to have a minimum of two Canadian players on their roster each season.

"Today is a great day for Canadians," said McCarthy. "The NBL will embody the virtues of Canadians through conducting business in a responsible, democratic and objective manner."

The league currently has three committed teams (Halifax, Saint John and Quebec City), has received letters of intent from ownership groups in London, Oshawa, Kingston and Barrie Ontario, and continues to be engaged by additional interested markets.

The league will begin operations immediately, and will celebrate the start of its first season in the fall of 2011.
    Great news for Canadian basketball... although there have been tons of new leagues like this which have failed miserably in the past. But hey, maybe this one works out! It would go a long way if they could get even a small deal with one of the 3 sports networks.
    Last edited by jrdyck; Thu May 12th, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome sweet. I hope this catches on, cause that'd be awesome sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

The Halifax team has had decent fan support over the last 3 years, even though the leagues they have played in have been a circus. They get between 2500-3000 fans a game, maybe with a better league that can grow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jrdyck wrote: View Post
    Since this literally does not belong in any other forum, I'm putting it here.

http://tsn.ca/other_sports/story/?id=365515

Great news for Canadian basketball... although there have been tons of new leagues like this which have failed miserably in the past. But hey, maybe this one works out! It would go a long way if they could get even a small deal with one of the 3 sports networks.
    Perfect timing given the potential NBA lockout. They might secure television deals more easily.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

C'mon Winnipeg ! lol

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Perfect timing given the potential NBA lockout. They might secure television deals more easily.
    I think there's a good chance that the CBC picks up some games based on the CanCon on the rosters. Also if there is a lockout maybe some of the Canadian players will play for the inagural season? I know it's a bit of a stretch but, maybe!?!?!?

Also, I've got $5 that Steve Nash buys a team in Vancouver and after he retires from the NBA does the Jackie Moon trifecta of owner/player/coach!
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Also, I've got $5 that Steve Nash buys a team in Vancouver and after he retires from the NBA does the Jackie Moon trifecta of owner/player/coach!
    Ok, that would be awesome... Especially if he wrestles a bear at half time.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    C'mon Winnipeg ! lol
    x2! Maybe once we get the Thrashers, hockey fans will be so delirious that they'll never leave the MTS Centre. We'd have the best attendance in the league by far.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I fired off a quick e-mail to Ian McCarthy and he said that the teams will vote on whether they will use NBA or FIBA rules. His personal preference was FIBA, which makes more sense considering Canada Basketball just adopted the international system a few years ago.
    Last edited by jrdyck; Thu May 12th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal could sustain basketball teams. Hamilton seems like an obvious choice but I see a lot of other Ontario locations being investigated in the article above. Toronto no doubt could hold a team too haha.

MLSE should get behind this league. The NBL could be a gateway to greater Raptors interest in Canada by exposing markets around Canada to the sport.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its nice to see a league like this. it gives players another option of where they can go with their career. right now its pretty much NBA, Fiba or nothing... I wonder if players can play in the Canadaian league for a year after hgihschool as oppose to NCAA and then enter the draft.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

this is a great thing for canada. If this goes well, we might even get a few more NBA teams in canada.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

When do they start hiring people? I'd love to get a job in the league. Like Equipment Manager maybe?

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I fired off a quick e-mail to Ian McCarthy and he said that the teams will vote on whether they will use NBA or FIBA rules. His personal preference was FIBA, which makes more sense considering Canada Basketball just adopted the international system a few years ago.
    thats awesome.. i was thinking about that very thing the other day.. if it'd be an "international" league, or a NBDL v2.0

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it will be like soccer where they can play some of teh south american teams in different events?

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vancouver's not getting one because they're moving the Hornets here.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

"Here are 10 reasons why the new National Basketball League of Canada, unveiled Thursday in Halifax, should be a huge improvement over the various American minor league models that have operated in this market for the past few years:"

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1243145.html

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...rticle/1406042
    Last edited by jbml; Fri May 13th, 2011 at 01:48 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Ok, that would be awesome... Especially if he wrestles a bear at half time.
    If that happens I"LL WRESTLE THE BEAR AT HALF TIME! :P
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Vancouver's not getting one because they're moving the Hornets here.

Really? if thats true then thats awesome! we got some more teams to cheer for

Post Thanks / Like

Fiba rules pls. If they try to make it like the NBA it's going to look like the CFL. If we do fiba, at the very least we should be able to present a decent team for Olympics and various games.
    @jerboat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information