NBL Canada to launch in 2011!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBL Canada to launch in 2011!

Since this literally does not belong in any other forum, I'm putting it here.

http://tsn.ca/other_sports/story/?id=365515

On Thursday, May 12, 2011, Canadian sports history was made when the nation's first ever professional basketball league was founded.

Andre Levingston and Ian McCarthy, who each own basketball franchises in the Maritimes, founded the league after their successes demonstrated the vast opportunity within the Canadian sports landscape.

"We're extremely excited to found a league that consists of committed, fiscally responsible owners who will operate their teams with the mandates of providing a high level of entertainment for fans and sponsors, and making a difference in their communities," said Levingston.

In addition to providing the highest quality of professional basketball in Canada outside of the NBA, the league will also serve to develop young Canadian athletes. Levingston says the NBL will hold a stipulation that each team is to have a minimum of two Canadian players on their roster each season.

"Today is a great day for Canadians," said McCarthy. "The NBL will embody the virtues of Canadians through conducting business in a responsible, democratic and objective manner."

The league currently has three committed teams (Halifax, Saint John and Quebec City), has received letters of intent from ownership groups in London, Oshawa, Kingston and Barrie Ontario, and continues to be engaged by additional interested markets.

The league will begin operations immediately, and will celebrate the start of its first season in the fall of 2011.
    Great news for Canadian basketball... although there have been tons of new leagues like this which have failed miserably in the past. But hey, maybe this one works out! It would go a long way if they could get even a small deal with one of the 3 sports networks.
    Last edited by jrdyck; Thu May 12, 2011, 01:48 PM.

Awesome sweet. I hope this catches on, cause that'd be awesome sweet.

Comment

The Halifax team has had decent fan support over the last 3 years, even though the leagues they have played in have been a circus. They get between 2500-3000 fans a game, maybe with a better league that can grow.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
        Since this literally does not belong in any other forum, I'm putting it here.

http://tsn.ca/other_sports/story/?id=365515

Great news for Canadian basketball... although there have been tons of new leagues like this which have failed miserably in the past. But hey, maybe this one works out! It would go a long way if they could get even a small deal with one of the 3 sports networks.
        Perfect timing given the potential NBA lockout. They might secure television deals more easily.

Comment

C'mon Winnipeg ! lol

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Perfect timing given the potential NBA lockout. They might secure television deals more easily.
            I think there's a good chance that the CBC picks up some games based on the CanCon on the rosters. Also if there is a lockout maybe some of the Canadian players will play for the inagural season? I know it's a bit of a stretch but, maybe!?!?!?

Also, I've got $5 that Steve Nash buys a team in Vancouver and after he retires from the NBA does the Jackie Moon trifecta of owner/player/coach!
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              Also, I've got $5 that Steve Nash buys a team in Vancouver and after he retires from the NBA does the Jackie Moon trifecta of owner/player/coach!
              Ok, that would be awesome... Especially if he wrestles a bear at half time.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                C'mon Winnipeg ! lol
                x2! Maybe once we get the Thrashers, hockey fans will be so delirious that they'll never leave the MTS Centre. We'd have the best attendance in the league by far.

Comment

Also, I fired off a quick e-mail to Ian McCarthy and he said that the teams will vote on whether they will use NBA or FIBA rules. His personal preference was FIBA, which makes more sense considering Canada Basketball just adopted the international system a few years ago.
                  Last edited by jrdyck; Thu May 12, 2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I think Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal could sustain basketball teams. Hamilton seems like an obvious choice but I see a lot of other Ontario locations being investigated in the article above. Toronto no doubt could hold a team too haha.

MLSE should get behind this league. The NBL could be a gateway to greater Raptors interest in Canada by exposing markets around Canada to the sport.

Comment

Its nice to see a league like this. it gives players another option of where they can go with their career. right now its pretty much NBA, Fiba or nothing... I wonder if players can play in the Canadaian league for a year after hgihschool as oppose to NCAA and then enter the draft.

Comment

this is a great thing for canada. If this goes well, we might even get a few more NBA teams in canada.

Comment

When do they start hiring people? I'd love to get a job in the league. Like Equipment Manager maybe?

Comment

Also, I fired off a quick e-mail to Ian McCarthy and he said that the teams will vote on whether they will use NBA or FIBA rules. His personal preference was FIBA, which makes more sense considering Canada Basketball just adopted the international system a few years ago.
                            thats awesome.. i was thinking about that very thing the other day.. if it'd be an "international" league, or a NBDL v2.0

Comment

I wonder if it will be like soccer where they can play some of teh south american teams in different events?
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                              X