Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/spor...starting-seven

NBL of Canada has its starting seven
    Moncton, N.B., and Summerside, P.E.I., were announced Thursday as the sixth and seventh NBL Canada franchises that will begin play with a 36-game schedule in early November.

They join expansion franchises in Oshawa, Ont., and London, Ont., and three founding teams: The Halifax Rainmen, Saint John Mill Rats and Quebec Kebs.

Comment

Oshawa's NBL franchise

Oshawa's ownership group consists of Isaac Olowolafe Jr., the president and CEO of Dream Maker Realty and Dream Fund Holdings, Henry Chow, president of Uptown Communications, Lee-El Harding, of the industrial scaffolding business and Canadian actor Mark Taylor.
      http://newsdurhamregion.com/sports/article/182994
      http://newsdurhamregion.com/sports/article/183211

Moncton's Team

"We want this to be better value for your money than the box office movie of the year," said Steven Conville yesterday after it was announced that the Toronto financial adviser is the man behind Moncton's first venture into professional basketball.
      PEI's Team

Pro basketball can and will work on P.E.I
      http://www.journalpioneer.com/Opinio...rk-on-P.E.I./1
      Last edited by jbml; Sun Aug 14, 2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

will ottawa have a team?
        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
          will ottawa have a team?
          Only Oshawa and London in Ontario have a Team.

The Quebec Kebs are based in Quebec City. (Beeautiful city if you've never been.)

I guess Oshawa would be the closest for you to get to.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
            Mill Rats? For real? Who's naming these teams, six year olds? Next up is the Antigonish Army Ants(not really but ay...), they're a real force to be reckoned with!

Haha... I actually hope the team does well, and I guess the names are a little different than the corny Major sports team names these days.
            The name was actually picked by the fans in saint John. If you've ever been to the city you would understand the reference.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Only Oshawa and London in Ontario have a Team.

The Quebec Kebs are based in Quebec City. (Beeautiful city if you've never been.)

I guess Oshawa would be the closest for you to get to.
              Thanks Joey! Personally if I'm coming all the way to Oshawa why not come to T.Dot instead and watch a Raptors Game? I am deprived of basketball here Ottawa never gets anything its really pissing me off. I love the city because its really beautiful clean and in a decent location. I'm hoping when the NBL is going to expand one the first stops is in Ottawa.

Do you have a site with all the teams?
              We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

now thinking about it we do have some pretty decent Basketball here with the Carelton Ravens. We still need a professional team...

Comment

Thanks Joey! Personally if I'm coming all the way to Oshawa why not come to T.Dot instead and watch a Raptors Game? I am deprived of basketball here Ottawa never gets anything its really pissing me off. I love the city because its really beautiful clean and in a decent location. I'm hoping when the NBL is going to expand one the first stops is in Ottawa.

Do you have a site with all the teams?
                  If you go here its as close to an official site as you'll get.
                  I'm sure in the coming months they'll spruce up the website a little bit more. (And come up with some team names.)

Ottawa is definitely a beautiful, and clean city. My parents just moved there and they love it.
                  It's a shame they don't have any pro basketball teams, becase the Ravens have gotten some great support over the years from the local population.

now thinking about it we do have some pretty decent Basketball here with the Carelton Ravens. We still need a professional team...
                  My thoughts exactly.

Comment

thanks a lot man!

Comment

Give me a shout if you ever come down. We can watch a game over at my friends bar. Its amazing lol

Comment

I had to do some searching to find this thread but finally came across it...

Anyone gonna try to catch some games or highlight even? The season gets underway tomorrow night apparently.
                        Most of you likely don't give a shyte anyways, now that it looks as though the NBA may be coming back real soon.
                        Personally, I'll try catching a little bit just to get that basketball fix...

http://nblcanada.pointstreaksites.com/view/nblcanada

Just checked out the rosters. 2 notable names:

Denham Brown plays for the Shwiggity 'Shwa
                        And if anyone remembers this guy, he plays for Halifax:
                        Last edited by Mack North; Fri Oct 28, 2011, 10:21 PM. Reason: ADD

Comment

NBL expansion is a positive thing

There’s no denying the National Basketball League of Canada enjoyed a successful first season.

Play was competitive, all seven franchises finished a full schedule, and a very professional and entertaining league final between Halifax and eventual champion London drew plenty of positive media and fan attention.

There’s talk now of a potentially large expansion after five Ontario cities — Mississauga, Windsor, St. Catharines, Ottawa and Kitchener — submitted applications before Thursday’s deadline.

The league now has teams in Halifax, Moncton, Saint John, Summerside, Quebec City, London and Oshawa.

I’d usually be wary of any large expansion plan in such a young league, but what gives credibility to this potential NBL expansion is that league leaders have been consistently conservative regarding growth.

League president Andre Levingston, who doubles as the owner of the Halifax franchise, reiterated this week that the NBL will do its homework to ensure that applicants are the right fit.

I give him and fellow owners credit for their cautious approach. The core group of owners who started this league — survivors of the Premier Basketball League in Halifax, Saint John and Quebec — have to this point done well with their stability-first style of building.

In an ideal expansion process, the league would want to see proof of solid ownership, potential to have a competitive team, and a business plan with strong sponsorship and decent fan support.

The applicants’ intentions will be tested by a June 15 deadline for finalizing arena lease deals and making a refundable $50,000 deposit.

Given the way NBL officials have been scouring the Ontario market in recent months, I’d be surprised if any expansion applicant wasn’t serious.

The one mistake the league can’t afford to make, and it’s one that too often hurts minor league basketball operations, is to take on any new franchise that gives even a hint of potential for trouble. Problem franchises are a sure way to fuel bad publicity and reinforce negative stereotypes about minor pro basketball.

The league must already deal with the Quebec Kebs moving to a new home. The Kebs’ owners were unhappy with their deal in Quebec City and the team will be playing in another Quebec market next season. It’s in the league’s best interest for the Kebs to relocate as soon as possible. It’s unsettled business like this that creates bad vibes.

But would expansion be a positive move for the NBL? I believe it would be.

Most leagues benefit from adding strong teams in stable markets. Expansion would give the league a higher profile in Ontario, which should help draw more support from fans and sponsors.

The league isn’t demanding large deposits upfront, so this isn’t a case of team owners or a league owner trying to get rich by adding more teams.

Would expansion be in the best interest of the existing Maritime teams and fans? If done properly, it definitely would be.

It’s good for the entire league if the NBL becomes more of a fixture in the sponsorship-rich Ontario market.

The stronger the league, the better it is for the already stable Maritime clubs. Also, successful expansion in Ontario would hopefully stimulate more ownership interest elsewhere, such as in the still untapped Maritime market of Sydney.

It appears the NBL has prepared properly for its first expansion, whatever size it ends up being for this coming season.

Chris Cochrane is a sports columnist for The Chronicle Herald and the author of Inside the Game.

(ccochrane@herald.ca)

Comment

I read this the other day, while I would think that 3 new teams would be more than enough, if they feel 5 is doable I am OK with it. I did manage to take in a game in Halifax this year, good ball, decent atmosphere. This league has legs, I hope in continues to grow.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

hope they can get a deal on a Tv station so we can watch live games. Maybe sometime in the future when they get bigger

Comment

If they get a team in Mississauga, I'd be inclined to check out a game or two, depending on Ticket price.

Comment

Working...
                                X