Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NBL Canada to launch in 2011!

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if it works, it will be the coolest thing ever after the day Hedo signed here.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

"One Ontario market appears to be out and three others in as the upstart National Basketball League of Canada continues recruiting teams for its inaugural season."

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1245524.html

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1248879.html

It looks like the National Basketball League of Canada will be an eight-team circuit in its inaugural season.
    Four Ontario communities — Barrie, Kingston, Oshawa and London — and P.E.I. will now move on the next stage of becoming full members.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-join-nbl.html

NBA stars invited to join Mill Rats and Rainmen

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1253000.html

The order of the draft was determined at the league’s first owners meeting on June 29 in Toronto. Oshawa will choose first, followed by Charlottetown, London and Moncton, the NBL announced Monday in a release.

The Saint John Mill Rats will pick fifth, the Rainmen sixth and the Quebec Kebs seventh. The Rats, Rainmen and Kebs, founding franchises that left the Premier Basketball League in April, are picking in the reverse order of their finish last season in the PBL regular-season standings.

The draft will be preceded by a two-day tryout combine Aug. 20-21 at the Seneca College Sports Centre in Toronto, with the first day for free agents and the second for Canadians.

NBL teams have to carry at least two Canadians on their roster.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...working-class/

The newly formed National Basketball League of Canada, after breaking away from something called the Premiere League, recently opened its arms to what it called “Tier 3” NBA players staring at a long lockout.

The NBL defines “Tier 3” players as those on the lower side of the NBA salary spectrum, especially young players earning the league minimum.
    J
    ackson’s hardscrabble path to an NBA dream makes him uniquely positioned for his latest career move: head coach of the NBL’s Saint John Mill Rats.

“Many of these NBA players have decisions to make as the lockout continues,” Jackson said Tuesday. .... these players are going to want opportunities to play.”
    Jackson believes the geography of the league will have a special appeal to NBA players who grew up or played in the Northeast U.S.

“I think there will be some players interested, maybe some Canadian players in the NBA, or any other guys from the East Coast who just want to continue to stay in shape or play while the lockout is going on,” he said.
    Last edited by jbml; Wed Jul 13th, 2011 at 07:51 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mill Rats? For real? Who's naming these teams, six year olds? Next up is the Antigonish Army Ants(not really but ay...), they're a real force to be reckoned with!

Haha... I actually hope the team does well, and I guess the names are a little different than the corny Major sports team names these days.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://durhamregion.com/sports/article/181263

OSHAWA -- They don't have an official name, nor have they nailed down a place to play yet, but one of the newest National Basketball League of Canada franchises is putting the pieces together for its debut in Oshawa this fall.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/spor...time-storyline

Last week, the City of Moncton approved a memorandum of understanding to put a team at Moncton Coliseum for the next three years.

Raptors Republic Rookie BayCityBaller's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to tryout I think. Shouldn't every over-the-hill, unathletic, injury-prone, tall white dude have his day?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/spor...starting-seven

NBL of Canada has its starting seven
    Moncton, N.B., and Summerside, P.E.I., were announced Thursday as the sixth and seventh NBL Canada franchises that will begin play with a 36-game schedule in early November.

They join expansion franchises in Oshawa, Ont., and London, Ont., and three founding teams: The Halifax Rainmen, Saint John Mill Rats and Quebec Kebs.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Oshawa's NBL franchise

Oshawa's ownership group consists of Isaac Olowolafe Jr., the president and CEO of Dream Maker Realty and Dream Fund Holdings, Henry Chow, president of Uptown Communications, Lee-El Harding, of the industrial scaffolding business and Canadian actor Mark Taylor.
    http://newsdurhamregion.com/sports/article/182994
    http://newsdurhamregion.com/sports/article/183211

Moncton's Team

"We want this to be better value for your money than the box office movie of the year," said Steven Conville yesterday after it was announced that the Toronto financial adviser is the man behind Moncton's first venture into professional basketball.
    PEI's Team

Pro basketball can and will work on P.E.I
    http://www.journalpioneer.com/Opinio...rk-on-P.E.I./1
    Last edited by jbml; Sun Aug 14th, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

will ottawa have a team?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    will ottawa have a team?
    Only Oshawa and London in Ontario have a Team.

The Quebec Kebs are based in Quebec City. (Beeautiful city if you've never been.)

I guess Oshawa would be the closest for you to get to.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    Mill Rats? For real? Who's naming these teams, six year olds? Next up is the Antigonish Army Ants(not really but ay...), they're a real force to be reckoned with!

Haha... I actually hope the team does well, and I guess the names are a little different than the corny Major sports team names these days.
    The name was actually picked by the fans in saint John. If you've ever been to the city you would understand the reference.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Only Oshawa and London in Ontario have a Team.

The Quebec Kebs are based in Quebec City. (Beeautiful city if you've never been.)

I guess Oshawa would be the closest for you to get to.
    Thanks Joey! Personally if I'm coming all the way to Oshawa why not come to T.Dot instead and watch a Raptors Game? I am deprived of basketball here Ottawa never gets anything its really pissing me off. I love the city because its really beautiful clean and in a decent location. I'm hoping when the NBL is going to expand one the first stops is in Ottawa.

Do you have a site with all the teams?

Post Thanks / Like

now thinking about it we do have some pretty decent Basketball here with the Carelton Ravens. We still need a professional team...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joey! Personally if I'm coming all the way to Oshawa why not come to T.Dot instead and watch a Raptors Game? I am deprived of basketball here Ottawa never gets anything its really pissing me off. I love the city because its really beautiful clean and in a decent location. I'm hoping when the NBL is going to expand one the first stops is in Ottawa.

Do you have a site with all the teams?
    If you go here its as close to an official site as you'll get.
    I'm sure in the coming months they'll spruce up the website a little bit more. (And come up with some team names.)

Ottawa is definitely a beautiful, and clean city. My parents just moved there and they love it.
    It's a shame they don't have any pro basketball teams, becase the Ravens have gotten some great support over the years from the local population.

now thinking about it we do have some pretty decent Basketball here with the Carelton Ravens. We still need a professional team...
    My thoughts exactly.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot man!

Post Thanks / Like

Give me a shout if you ever come down. We can watch a game over at my friends bar. Its amazing lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information