Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Calderon mentions Raps in same breath as OKC

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Irving and Williams are the only 2 in this draft with the potential to be big time stars. Kanter, Brandon Knight, and maybe Kemba should become good but not great players in the NBA. After that, not sure if anyone else will amount to much. Keep your fingers crossed on the 17th. Hopefully, we get the #1 pick. If the basketball gods believe in justice, I'm hoping they give the Raptors and the Cavs the top 2 picks after all the stuff both franchises went through with Bosh and LBJ last summer. Speaking of omens, if memory serves me well, the last BC represented the Raptors at the lottery was in 2006. That was the year we got the #1 pick. He's representing us this year again. Will history repeat itself?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote bballnut27 wrote: View Post
    actually matt has said that numerous times in various threads, no sarcasm there
    Okay, sorry, I've been on a one year hiatus and can't be arsed to go through all the old threads.

And to think that a year ago, many people around these parts felt Daequan Cook was a scrub that required a 1st rounder to get the Thunder to accept.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jd4 wrote: View Post
    I think Irving and Williams are the only 2 in this draft with the potential to be big time stars. Kanter, Brandon Knight, and maybe Kemba should become good but not great players in the NBA. After that, not sure if anyone else will amount to much. Keep your fingers crossed on the 17th. Hopefully, we get the #1 pick. If the basketball gods believe in justice, I'm hoping they give the Raptors and the Cavs the top 2 picks after all the stuff both franchises went through with Bosh and LBJ last summer. Speaking of omens, if memory serves me well, the last BC represented the Raptors at the lottery was in 2006. That was the year we got the #1 pick. He's representing us this year again. Will history repeat itself?
    Not to jinx us but if we get the #1 pick, the physicals are going to discover a knee conditions (a la Roy) in all their knees, leaving us with the only choice of Donatas Motiejunas at #1 overall.

Raptors Republic Rookie meductic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Kanter more than Lopez simply because his aggressiveness is more of a fit with Davis and Johnson. But no matter who they pick the key is 2012, and I think the Raps will be in lottery or low playoffs to get a good pick. If they can get a second first round in 2012, and not trade it, then things become really interestiing. I think they have to take either Irving or Williams this year if available, but it concerns me that there are few centres available next year. But 2012 should give them depth. Imagine Kanter this year and someone like Barnes or one of the Jones, and Kabongo next year. Ouch...
    Last edited by meductic; Sat May 14th, 2011 at 07:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote meductic wrote: View Post
    I like Kanter more than Lopez simply because his aggressiveness is more of a fit with Davis and Johnson. But no matter who they pick the key is 2012, and I think the Raps will be in lottery or low playoffs to get a good pick. If they can get a second first round in 2012, and not trade it, then things become really interestiing. I think they have to take either Irving or Williams if available, but it concerns me that there are few centres available next year. But 2012 should give them depth.
    Assuming he's smart, and I think he is, BC will be tentatively slating in a SF pick in 2012, or to a lesser extent, a PG. Assuming we end up with the #2 pick and Irving goes first overall, I'd actually trade down with Cleveland, Washington or Utah. I'm not sure if GMs feel Williams is worth giving up a mid-late lottery pick to move up and pick, but I'd rather have Kanter and one of Valanciunas, Walker, Thompson, Leonard, Singleton or Biyombo, depending on what second pick we can get. If we're not feeling very confident about Williams not being a tweener, then I'd even consider one of the early 2nd round picks to spend on Darius Morris, if avaialble, or another project PG.

Raptors Republic Rookie huskies2raps's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What's with all this love for Kanter? You really want BC to draft ANOTHER European player? Regardless of his physical play and how he pans out, it's time for BC to break the mold of always looking for Europeans....Derrick Williams would fit the Raps perfectly - who have they been missing since VC bailed? A solid 3 who can take it to the rim and throw down with authority, who has a nice jumper too - I'm hopin the Raps can land D Will - a 6"8 SF is def a piece that can help take the Raptors to the next level -Kyrie would be nice too, but right now leaning a little more towards Williams...fingers are crossed - that tweener talk is garbage - he's NBA ready no doubt
    Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote huskies2raps wrote: View Post
    What's with all this love for Kanter? You really want BC to draft ANOTHER European player? Regardless of his physical play and how he pans out, it's time for BC to break the mold of always looking for Europeans....Derrick Williams would fit the Raps perfectly - who have they been missing since VC bailed? A solid 3 who can take it to the rim and throw down with authority, who has a nice jumper too - I'm hopin the Raps can land D Will - a 6"8 SF is def a piece that can help take the Raptors to the next level -Kyrie would be nice too, but right now leaning a little more towards Williams...fingers are crossed - that tweener talk is garbage - he's NBA ready no doubt
    I suggest you do a little research on Colangelo's draft record. Break the mold of always looking for Europeans? He has drafted 4 in 16 years of being an NBA GM - 1 of which he traded (Gortat). He has only drafted 1 European in TOR, guess who.

Here is a good place to start on his career: http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm
    Notice some of the people he did draft.

What's all the love for Kanter? Watch some video and read some write ups to find out. He would be a perfect compliment to Davis and Amir.

The tweener talk on Williams is very real. Could you provide a source for the garbage comment?

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

we are he okc of the east
    "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, what's with all the love for a 6'11, 260 lb center with a high basketball IQ and tough attitude, who is only 18 years old, yet has the skills and body of a much older player, and while not explosive, has above average athleticism? Doesn't everyone know he's EUROPEAN?!?!?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I suggest you do a little research on Colangelo's draft record. Break the mold of always looking for Europeans? He has drafted 4 in 16 years of being an NBA GM - 1 of which he traded (Gortat). He has only drafted 1 European in TOR, guess who.

Here is a good place to start on his career: http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm
    Notice some of the people he did draft.

What's all the love for Kanter? Watch some video and read some write ups to find out. He would be a perfect compliment to Davis and Amir.

The tweener talk on Williams is very real. Could you provide a source for the garbage comment?
    I have watched videos on Kanter and I wasn't so much referring to BC drafting Euros as constantly pursuing Europeans (i.e. free agency, trades, etc.) I can see how you took it as drafting, but I know BC's draft history and it is pretty good - I was simply referring to breaking the mold of building a team via a dominantly Euro roster - Garbajosa and maybe a few others panned out well, but overall, as evidence over the last several years, building an NBA team through a dominantly European roster does not translate to success....I'm not referring to a few players on each team (Dallas, LA, many teams have a few), I'm referring to the Raps of the last few years - anyways, back to Kanter, I see the skills and toughness he presents, but in several interviews I've seen, he has mentioned he likes to play the 4.....not the 5.......as we all know, we are loaded with 4's, and are not in desperate need of a Lottery Euro who wants to play the 4, but is placed at the 5....ring a bell much?? bargani.......Anyways, after re reading my post it did come off as bashing Kanter, but I mean aside from the PG Knight, if the Raps draft 3rd and Kanter is selected, let's hope his knees hold up and he becomes the Center we desperately need - as you can see from numerous forum, Raps fans over the years have had a high dose of Euro players, and I think would just like a change....Eddy and Demar are a good start....

ofcourse all of our arguments are meaningless until Tuesday, where we will then see how the ping pong balls fall - I do agree with Matt and Tim's analysis of Kanter, and as a 3rd pick I'd be meh until I saw how he fared in a Raps uni - however, if (and hopefully they do) they get the 1st or 2nd pick, drafting Kanter is out of the question, it will obviously be between Williams and Irving
    Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link of him saying he prefers playing the 4 position - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvko4VUYuKQ

around the 30 second mark

Post Thanks / Like

But in this video he is CLEARLY speaking about playing Forward in the NCAA.
    Perhaps there is something a bit more relevant and timely?
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link of him saying he prefers playing the 4 position - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvko4VUYuKQ

around the 30 second mark
    Actually, this video - much like the recent ESPN video a few posts back - my interpretation was he is a post who wants to have more of a face up game and I see no problem with that.

I had not seen that video - thanks. I look forward to seeing him in the WWE and it is nice to known he can have his way with Nazr Mouhammed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have watched videos on Kanter and I wasn't so much referring to BC drafting Euros as constantly pursuing Europeans (i.e. free agency, trades, etc.) I can see how you took it as drafting, but I know BC's draft history and it is pretty good - I was simply referring to breaking the mold of building a team via a dominantly Euro roster - Garbajosa and maybe a few others panned out well, but overall, as evidence over the last several years, building an NBA team through a dominantly European roster does not translate to success....I'm not referring to a few players on each team (Dallas, LA, many teams have a few), I'm referring to the Raps of the last few years - anyways, back to Kanter, I see the skills and toughness he presents, but in several interviews I've seen, he has mentioned he likes to play the 4.....not the 5.......as we all know, we are loaded with 4's, and are not in desperate need of a Lottery Euro who wants to play the 4, but is placed at the 5....ring a bell much?? bargani.......Anyways, after re reading my post it did come off as bashing Kanter, but I mean aside from the PG Knight, if the Raps draft 3rd and Kanter is selected, let's hope his knees hold up and he becomes the Center we desperately need - as you can see from numerous forum, Raps fans over the years have had a high dose of Euro players, and I think would just like a change....Eddy and Demar are a good start....

ofcourse all of our arguments are meaningless until Tuesday, where we will then see how the ping pong balls fall - I do agree with Matt and Tim's analysis of Kanter, and as a 3rd pick I'd be meh until I saw how he fared in a Raps uni - however, if (and hopefully they do) they get the 1st or 2nd pick, drafting Kanter is out of the question, it will obviously be between Williams and Irving
    Agreed on Tuesday.

All your points and any counter arguments I could make are all already discussed in this thread(knees, position).

As for high dose of Euro players - seriously? I think Raptors fans have had a high dose of players who are not good to great. Forget where they are from, the stereotype is old and idiotic. There aren't soft American players? THere aren't rugged Euro players?

I do not think Irving/Williams is as straight forward as once thought.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Agreed on Tuesday.

All your points and any counter arguments I could make are all already discussed in this thread(knees, position).

As for high dose of Euro players - seriously? I think Raptors fans have had a high dose of players who are not good to great. Forget where they are from, the stereotype is old and idiotic. There aren't soft American players? THere aren't rugged Euro players?

I do not think Irving/Williams is as straight forward as once thought.
    If Kanter is the best player available, then you'd have to be an idiot not to take him. And I think that Kanter is the 2nd or 3rd best player in this draft.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling Williams' stock is going to fall a bit
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

In a perfect world, the twolves would draft him and have a team made up entirely of point guards and undersized power forwards
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree with Huskies2raps. I have nothing against euro players, but I think we should pass on Kanter. I have watched a lot of tape on this guy and he doesn't have the height or the athleticism to be a good NBA centre. He plays below the rim, and he prefers to be a PF. I think we have one of those already.

Yes he does have a strong build and a nice shooting touch, but I don't see it transferring to the big leagues.

Lastly, if history is proof, there isn't a long list of european Centres that are all-stars, or franchise players. Divac, Smits, Zeke, Sabonis? There are good players eg. Okur, Rasho, Pryzbilla, but lack greatness

I think if we get the #3 we try and trade down for two picks (Utah, Charlotte, or Washington). I think we should go for Knight and Leonard or Walker and Leonard. I'm not the biggest Kemba fan, but I think he is worth taking a chance on. Kanter is as much of a wild card as Kemba is in my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    I have watched a lot of tape on this guy and he doesn't have the height or the athleticism to be a good NBA centre. He plays below the rim, and he prefers to be a PF. I think we have one of those already.
    I think you're watching the wrong guy ....
    just saying .. he's taller the Kendrick Perkins, and weighs more than Brook Lopez. What else do you want for Size?

Scroll back a few pages and watch the videos that have been posted here ... he's dunking from nearly the Free Throw line dude ... throwing down awesome one handers. Where does this 'below the rim' stuff come from?!? It's ridiculous. Just because he's from Turkey? If he had the EXACT same build, skill set, etc but was African American and from the Bronx, New York, you guys would be jumping through the roof to get him. Its unbelievable. It makes no sense.
    Last edited by Joey; Sun May 15th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

solid take on the top prospects guys......let's just hope that a season with only 22 wins translates into the Raps getting the 1st or second pick........I can't remember the last relevant day it was being a Raps fan.....Feb 16 comes to mind, when Bosh returned, and maybe in March when they were in London, but Tuesday really can't come any sooner - as for if the Raps fall to 4th or (gulp) 5th, and Kanter, Williams, and Irving are off the board- I like Knight over Kemba (huge fan of Kemba) but there is a clear height advantage - 6"3 is a nice height to have as opposed to 5"10 for the point guard position - you look at the Derrick Rose's and Westbrooks of the league and I think Kemba might have some size issues.....then again, Iverson usually held up and did a pretty darn good job of it sometimes playing an undersized 2, so you never know really....Kemba took his UConn team all the way, and that should definitely account for something - whether he'll be able to light it up in the NBA like he did in the NCAA is any one's guess

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information