Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Maybe not Cook. =P
    Have I ever mentioned I think the Raptors should go after Cook this offseason? If not, I think they should.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      From HoopsHype.com

I disagree with Calderon. The Raps are actually ahead of OKC in terms of rebuilding through the draft. OKC used their draft picks for Petro and Sene in the two years leading up to their first of 3 years in the top 5 with picks 2, 5, 4, and 3 (2007-2009). The Raptors used those two years to get DeRozan and Davis. Fingers crossed on this draft.
      Yeah but the Thunder have arguably the best player in the league. The Raptors need some more good luck. Ed Davis falling to them last summer is a start. They need to make the most out of this upcoming 1st rounder. If they can draft a future all-star then they're on there way to something nice. Irving would fit the team really nicely and ditto for Kanter. Both those guys have large upside and look to be able to contribute right away.

Comment

Agreed and it is a little bothersome. People, in general, make it sound like their success came over night. It was 5 years between playoff appearances and a lot of lottery luck (not trying to take anything away from their scouting people though).
        And patience. That's actually the thing that stands out most to me about their rebuild. I don't know if it was genius or dumb luck, but it seemed like they only made good, necessary moves. But like you say, if we picked two Durant/Westbrook-level prospects in the next two drafts, nobody would remember our floundering the past while either.

Comment

Have I ever mentioned I think the Raptors should go after Cook this offseason? If not, I think they should.
          Just a reminder that sarcasm is hard to tell via text.

Comment

actually matt has said that numerous times in various threads, no sarcasm there

Comment

I think Irving and Williams are the only 2 in this draft with the potential to be big time stars. Kanter, Brandon Knight, and maybe Kemba should become good but not great players in the NBA. After that, not sure if anyone else will amount to much. Keep your fingers crossed on the 17th. Hopefully, we get the #1 pick. If the basketball gods believe in justice, I'm hoping they give the Raptors and the Cavs the top 2 picks after all the stuff both franchises went through with Bosh and LBJ last summer. Speaking of omens, if memory serves me well, the last BC represented the Raptors at the lottery was in 2006. That was the year we got the #1 pick. He's representing us this year again. Will history repeat itself?

Comment

bballnut27 wrote: View Post
                actually matt has said that numerous times in various threads, no sarcasm there
                Okay, sorry, I've been on a one year hiatus and can't be arsed to go through all the old threads.

And to think that a year ago, many people around these parts felt Daequan Cook was a scrub that required a 1st rounder to get the Thunder to accept.

Comment

jd4 wrote: View Post
                  I think Irving and Williams are the only 2 in this draft with the potential to be big time stars. Kanter, Brandon Knight, and maybe Kemba should become good but not great players in the NBA. After that, not sure if anyone else will amount to much. Keep your fingers crossed on the 17th. Hopefully, we get the #1 pick. If the basketball gods believe in justice, I'm hoping they give the Raptors and the Cavs the top 2 picks after all the stuff both franchises went through with Bosh and LBJ last summer. Speaking of omens, if memory serves me well, the last BC represented the Raptors at the lottery was in 2006. That was the year we got the #1 pick. He's representing us this year again. Will history repeat itself?
                  Not to jinx us but if we get the #1 pick, the physicals are going to discover a knee conditions (a la Roy) in all their knees, leaving us with the only choice of Donatas Motiejunas at #1 overall.

Comment

I like Kanter more than Lopez simply because his aggressiveness is more of a fit with Davis and Johnson. But no matter who they pick the key is 2012, and I think the Raps will be in lottery or low playoffs to get a good pick. If they can get a second first round in 2012, and not trade it, then things become really interestiing. I think they have to take either Irving or Williams this year if available, but it concerns me that there are few centres available next year. But 2012 should give them depth. Imagine Kanter this year and someone like Barnes or one of the Jones, and Kabongo next year. Ouch...
                    Last edited by meductic; Sat May 14, 2011, 07:05 AM.

Comment

meductic wrote: View Post
                      I like Kanter more than Lopez simply because his aggressiveness is more of a fit with Davis and Johnson. But no matter who they pick the key is 2012, and I think the Raps will be in lottery or low playoffs to get a good pick. If they can get a second first round in 2012, and not trade it, then things become really interestiing. I think they have to take either Irving or Williams if available, but it concerns me that there are few centres available next year. But 2012 should give them depth.
                      Assuming he's smart, and I think he is, BC will be tentatively slating in a SF pick in 2012, or to a lesser extent, a PG. Assuming we end up with the #2 pick and Irving goes first overall, I'd actually trade down with Cleveland, Washington or Utah. I'm not sure if GMs feel Williams is worth giving up a mid-late lottery pick to move up and pick, but I'd rather have Kanter and one of Valanciunas, Walker, Thompson, Leonard, Singleton or Biyombo, depending on what second pick we can get. If we're not feeling very confident about Williams not being a tweener, then I'd even consider one of the early 2nd round picks to spend on Darius Morris, if avaialble, or another project PG.

Comment

What's with all this love for Kanter? You really want BC to draft ANOTHER European player? Regardless of his physical play and how he pans out, it's time for BC to break the mold of always looking for Europeans....Derrick Williams would fit the Raps perfectly - who have they been missing since VC bailed? A solid 3 who can take it to the rim and throw down with authority, who has a nice jumper too - I'm hopin the Raps can land D Will - a 6"8 SF is def a piece that can help take the Raptors to the next level -Kyrie would be nice too, but right now leaning a little more towards Williams...fingers are crossed - that tweener talk is garbage - he's NBA ready no doubt
                        Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

huskies2raps wrote: View Post
                          What's with all this love for Kanter? You really want BC to draft ANOTHER European player? Regardless of his physical play and how he pans out, it's time for BC to break the mold of always looking for Europeans....Derrick Williams would fit the Raps perfectly - who have they been missing since VC bailed? A solid 3 who can take it to the rim and throw down with authority, who has a nice jumper too - I'm hopin the Raps can land D Will - a 6"8 SF is def a piece that can help take the Raptors to the next level -Kyrie would be nice too, but right now leaning a little more towards Williams...fingers are crossed - that tweener talk is garbage - he's NBA ready no doubt
                          I suggest you do a little research on Colangelo's draft record. Break the mold of always looking for Europeans? He has drafted 4 in 16 years of being an NBA GM - 1 of which he traded (Gortat). He has only drafted 1 European in TOR, guess who.

Here is a good place to start on his career: http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm
                          Notice some of the people he did draft.

What's all the love for Kanter? Watch some video and read some write ups to find out. He would be a perfect compliment to Davis and Amir.

The tweener talk on Williams is very real. Could you provide a source for the garbage comment?

Comment

we are he okc of the east
                            "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

huskies2raps wrote: View Post
                              Yes, what's with all the love for a 6'11, 260 lb center with a high basketball IQ and tough attitude, who is only 18 years old, yet has the skills and body of a much older player, and while not explosive, has above average athleticism? Doesn't everyone know he's EUROPEAN?!?!?
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I suggest you do a little research on Colangelo's draft record. Break the mold of always looking for Europeans? He has drafted 4 in 16 years of being an NBA GM - 1 of which he traded (Gortat). He has only drafted 1 European in TOR, guess who.

Here is a good place to start on his career: http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm
                                Notice some of the people he did draft.

What's all the love for Kanter? Watch some video and read some write ups to find out. He would be a perfect compliment to Davis and Amir.

The tweener talk on Williams is very real. Could you provide a source for the garbage comment?
                                I have watched videos on Kanter and I wasn't so much referring to BC drafting Euros as constantly pursuing Europeans (i.e. free agency, trades, etc.) I can see how you took it as drafting, but I know BC's draft history and it is pretty good - I was simply referring to breaking the mold of building a team via a dominantly Euro roster - Garbajosa and maybe a few others panned out well, but overall, as evidence over the last several years, building an NBA team through a dominantly European roster does not translate to success....I'm not referring to a few players on each team (Dallas, LA, many teams have a few), I'm referring to the Raps of the last few years - anyways, back to Kanter, I see the skills and toughness he presents, but in several interviews I've seen, he has mentioned he likes to play the 4.....not the 5.......as we all know, we are loaded with 4's, and are not in desperate need of a Lottery Euro who wants to play the 4, but is placed at the 5....ring a bell much?? bargani.......Anyways, after re reading my post it did come off as bashing Kanter, but I mean aside from the PG Knight, if the Raps draft 3rd and Kanter is selected, let's hope his knees hold up and he becomes the Center we desperately need - as you can see from numerous forum, Raps fans over the years have had a high dose of Euro players, and I think would just like a change....Eddy and Demar are a good start....

ofcourse all of our arguments are meaningless until Tuesday, where we will then see how the ping pong balls fall - I do agree with Matt and Tim's analysis of Kanter, and as a 3rd pick I'd be meh until I saw how he fared in a Raps uni - however, if (and hopefully they do) they get the 1st or 2nd pick, drafting Kanter is out of the question, it will obviously be between Williams and Irving
                                Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

Working...
                                X